Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Parvo Puppie comming home

Pandorii
March 30th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Hi,
As you may notice, this is my first threat out of many more to come. My 4 month old puppy started showing strange symptoms such as bloody feces, constant vommiting, and lack of an appetite, so I did my research and stummbled upon this website. Through other peoples similar cases I realized he had to get taken to the vet ASAP. Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with Parvo. Today is his 2nd day in treatment at the Animal Clinic. He seems to be getting better and I know he'll make it, he's a fighter. My question to all of you more experienced dog owners is: What preperations and precautions should I make for him while preparing to bring him back home? (i.e. decontamination of his toys, preparing with some canned food that will be easier for him to devour, sugared water, ect.)

Help! Y.Y I need to step up and take control of the situation!

chico2
March 30th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I don't really understand your last sentence,or what you are asking for,but hope your pup will be ok:pray:

Pandorii
March 30th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Oo I am asking for advice for the measures that I need to take when he gets back from the hospital, so that he can have a safe recovery and also prevent the parvo virus from spreading.

chico2
March 30th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Sorry,have no advice to give,but if nobody here does,I am sure the vet can tell you all you need to know.
Just stick around,maybe someone here can help:fingerscr

hazelrunpack
March 30th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Have you asked your vet for recommendations? I know I'd be nervous with other animals in the house... But I'll bet your vet will have some advice on how far you need to go to decontaminate. Are your other dogs vaccinated?

Sorry you're having to go through this! :grouphug: Parvo is a tough one! Hope your pup continues to improve :fingerscr

Pandorii
March 30th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Actually, I have two other dogs. One of them is really old and showed no signs of parvo symptoms, but my younger dog (who had his parvo booster 3 months ago) is currently showing lighter symptoms of the parvo. I'm thinking because he is so pure breed maybe his immune system is a little weaker, and it'll pass. I will ask the vet about recommendations but I am still very open to suggestions here on this forum.

hazelrunpack
March 30th, 2007, 05:11 PM
...but my younger dog (who had his parvo booster 3 months ago) is currently showing lighter symptoms of the parvo. I'm thinking because he is so pure breed maybe his immune system is a little weaker, and it'll pass.

If your other dog is showing any symptoms of parvo at all, you need to take that dog to the vet right now. Parvo kills! You can't be certain it will pass, and if there's an underlying weakness there somewhere, you could have two very sick dogs on your hands!

glitterless
March 31st, 2007, 01:00 AM
Keep your dogs away from other pets for at least a year. We think that animals shed the virus for up to a year after they've been infected, but some research shows that it could be up to 7 years or beyond. Parvo can be carried on shoes, clothing, or even your body, so if you have friends visiting who have pets, make sure that they know about parvo and have their pets vaccinated.

Parvo is extremely contagious. It is actually possible for you to carry the virus on your shoes, take that virus into, let's say the grocery store, have another person pick it up from you and carry it home and infect their own pets.

You need to clean your home thoroughly. Chlorine bleach or formaldehyde are the only things that will kill parvo. The problem is that even when your dog recovers, he's going to come home and continue to shed virus. I believe it's primarily shed in his feces, but I don't think it's safe to assume that he doesn't shed it through his saliva or other secretions. Pick up any feces and dipose of it immediately so that other animals can't come into contact with it.

Also, be VERY careful yourself. There is a strain of parvo that people can get called B19. There are no documented cases of canine parvo or panleukopenia in people, but we just don't know enough about the disease at this point to say for sure. I would advise against any elderly people visiting as well as anyone with a compromised immune system.

I also agree that you should get your other dog into the vet's ASAP and speak to your vet about the virus and what you can do to prevent spreading it.

Good luck.

joeysmama
March 31st, 2007, 11:48 AM
I hope all goes well with your little guy. I would be very interested to know whatyour vet has to say about his prognosis, the health of your other dog with symptoms, and any other precautions he recommends.