Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

FDA confirms dry food reports. Please Read.

One Beagle Girl
March 29th, 2007, 09:50 PM
It looks like dry food is affected, I'm not sure if anything will be recalled.

I just wanted everyone to know and be really cautious right now until we find out whats going on. This is from an email I received regarding the PETA press conference, hopefully the FDA will have one as well.

FDA CONFIRMS DRY PET FOOD COMPLAINTS; PETA CALLS FOR EMERGENCY EXPANSION OF RECALL TO INCLUDE DRY PRODUCTS

PETA News Conference Urges Consumers to Boycott Iams Over Possible Recall Delay and History of Cruelty to Cats and Dogs

Washington - With the FDA now confirming that consumers suspect dry pet food may have sickened or killed their companion animals, PETA will hold an emergency news conference on Friday and call on the FDA to immediately expand the pet food recall to include all dry varieties subject to complaints until they are chemically tested for safety. PETA will also ask the FDA to investigate Iams in order to find out if the company knew about the contaminated food before calling for a recall. Pennsylvania resident Yvette Faulkner-whose cat Sassafras suffered kidney failure and had to be euthanized and who states that Sassafras ate only Iams' dry food-will speak at the news conference.

Date: Friday, March 30

Time: 12 noon

Place: National Press Club, 529 14th St. N.W. , Murrow Room

worrier
March 29th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Can everyone who got email responses please look over them so we can start compiling a list of companies that claim to only use non-imported ingredients. I am thinking that Chinese grain made its way past Menu.

I distinctly remember reading in a post a week or so ago, some company's email stated: "we only use grains grown in the USA..." or something to this extent. Which company was this?

Found it:

All Canidae products are produced in the USA. We do not purchase ingredients from any suppliers outside of the US. All Canidae ingredients are grown &/or raised in the USA. In addition, we only purchase the absolute best USDA grade "A" hormone and antibiotic free meats. Our rice is also grade "A" Pesticide free. Our fish is FDA inspected and passed residual free of ethoxiquin.

RolandsMom
March 29th, 2007, 10:31 PM
oh man. when is it all going to stop!! this is crazy. all i can say is that im really glad that Roland is off the neutro!!!

mafiaprincess
March 29th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I'd wait to panic until something comes out that doesn't involve PeTA in it. Way too much in their favour to lie and cause chaos over.

rainbow
March 29th, 2007, 10:59 PM
PETA is known to sometimes go a tad bit overboard in their statements. I would wait and see what is said tomorrow, Also, the FDA is doing a news conference tomorrow. I don't like the fact that they ALWAYS do these news conferences on a Friday. :frustrated:

One Beagle Girl
March 30th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I really hope it is just PETA being over the top. It would be horrible if there's something wrong with dry food, I suspect there are alot of people out the that feed Iams.

mafiaprincess
March 30th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Since there is nothing on the FDA site, I suspect it's PeTA having a fit again..

Hunter's_owner
March 30th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Yeah I agree, best to wait to have an "official" FDA announcement before causing even more panic.
It is in the best interest though to take a look at the companies just to be on the extra safe side if possible.

Furryland
March 30th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I admit i am not one to have full faith in what PETA says. I too will wait for further comments from a different source ie; FDA.

All that said i admit i am in the process since this all began, to wean my pets off the nutro dry products.. a difficult task but none the less one i think is best, leaning on the side of caution i suppose.:shrug:

SARAH
March 30th, 2007, 09:35 AM
The more I read about contaminated pet food, contaminated human food, additives that turn out to be pure chemicals (some even derived from petrol) in all our foods ... the more I think the Hamish have a point!

I use as little ready-made food as I can, hamburgers included. I buy the ground beef, but for how long? Soon I'll grind it myself in the food processor, at least I'll know that "lean" really means lean because I'll have taken all fat off myself before putting it in the machine. Baking bread, making mayonaise (wow do they ever stuff that full of unthinkables!), no problem. Soups even easier - take what's in your fridge and dump in a pot of water, cook, mix, eat.

Dog food? Soon I'll go that way for them too, cooking their meat and rice and veggies like my aunt always does for hers (Great Dane and a Berger Picard).

I won't bring the big crap-companies to bankrupcy by myself, but I won't help enrich them any more either!

MamaSue
March 30th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Sarah? that's why I used to raise my own meat chickens, and laying hens, and bought my beef on the hoof - grass fed yearlings that the farmers didn't want to overwinter. I even had milk goats and a huge garden.

Now I'm stuck in the 'burbs in my old age.... and have to buy everything from the store. We are so vulnerable. All of us... and our animals.

SARAH
March 30th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Wow, you had goats too? I started out with 3 and ended with 13 - buying some, having some born on the property (so cute!); all had names and each knew their own name and would answer when I called them :) I miss my goats. I'd milk them, but they were mostly there for the company and to clear the brush, their stomping also kept snakes away.

I also had chickens (eggs mostly), sheep (ate those), rabbits (more food), grew what I could ... and I'm sadly back in the "civilized" burbs as well. :yell: :sad:

All I can do now, is make sure I know the provenance of the foods I buy, and get them as close to natural state as possible. Raw. I cook everything from scratch!

x.l.r.8
March 30th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I did the opposite, London (UK) city boy, to Toronto metropolis, to Singhampton Farmer. Our 200 chicks arrive in 3 weeks, we had 3 new calves this past 2 months (got kicked once already trying to get one to start suckling), making provisions for Pigs soon, however the chickens eat most everything, especially the potato bugs.
I only farm organically because I don't trust myself with pesticides, especially having to drink the water that falls on the land.
Now if only the food industry were that simple, I don't think I can substitute my Diet (insert any pop here) so I'm not off the hook yet, but I'm getting there, i have forgotton what a takeout tastes like:sad: but I can also see my feet again :laughing: and I am less hungry than I used to be.

rainbow
March 30th, 2007, 02:29 PM
PETA is known to sometimes go a tad bit overboard in their statements. I would wait and see what is said tomorrow, Also, the FDA is doing a news conference tomorrow. I don't like the fact that they ALWAYS do these news conferences on a Friday. :frustrated:

Well, for once, I am behind PETA on this. I hope they rag them to no end so we get a proper reply telling us just WHAT foods are involved. My guess is this is going to drage on until next FRIDAY when we'll get another announcement. :mad:

goldengal
March 30th, 2007, 03:32 PM
If you go to petconnection.com they are discussing this subject, and they have a blog on there which lists all manufacturers who are likely not involved. Through discussions there you will see which companies might be suspect.

Cathy1
March 30th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I don't always agree with PETA but we made a decision to take Duke & Jasper off Nutro dry and now feed Innova.

One Beagle Girl
March 30th, 2007, 08:17 PM
This was posted today on www.hillspet.com, they make Science Diet and Hills Prescription:

"Topeka, KS (March 30, 2007) - In accordance with its over-riding commitment to pet health and well-being, Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc. is voluntarily recalling Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry food from the market. Hill's is taking this precautionary action because during a two-month period in early 2007, wheat gluten for this product was provided by a company that also supplied wheat gluten to Menu Foods. U.S. Food and Drug Administration tests of wheat gluten samples from this period show the presence of a small amount of melamine. Prescription Diet m/d Feline Dry represents less than one half of one percent of all Hill's products." (emphasis mine)

So far it's the only recall for dry food.

Spirit
March 30th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Didn't they already "voluntarily" recall it (as a precaution), then claim it was safe and, uh, unrecall it??? This is the vet food, for piss sake... :frustrated:

Prin
March 30th, 2007, 09:30 PM
This was posted today on www.hillspet.com, they make Science Diet and Hills Prescription:

"Topeka, KS (March 30, 2007) - In accordance with its over-riding commitment to pet health and well-being, Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc. is voluntarily recalling Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry food from the market. Hill's is taking this precautionary action because during a two-month period in early 2007, wheat gluten for this product was provided by a company that also supplied wheat gluten to Menu Foods. U.S. Food and Drug Administration tests of wheat gluten samples from this period show the presence of a small amount of melamine. Prescription Diet m/d Feline Dry represents less than one half of one percent of all Hill's products." (emphasis mine)

So far it's the only recall for dry food.
I saw that on the news. SCARY stuff. I hope the vets act quickly and get rid of it all. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

Mac_09
March 31st, 2007, 12:11 AM
I tried calling Hills tonight, they have noone there to answer calls. Infact, the lastest update of the cat dryfood that was recalled, wasn't even mentioned on the recorded voice.

I use Veterinarian Science Diet Adult Original. To be honest, I'm concerned that this product will be recalled, even though they claim only one has been recalled so far.

http://www.hillspet.com/menu_foods/Menu_Foods_03302007_en_CA.htm

Funny how all along they were adament about NO dryfood being recalled, and then today Prescription Diet m/d Feline was recalled.

I don't want to overreact, I mean, I could be acting paranoid with my cat, (My husband thinks I am) I just am paying attention now to how much water she drinks, how much she sleeps. I guess if she was ill from the dryfood she would be showing certain symptoms and would have no energy at all.

MamaSue
March 31st, 2007, 01:43 AM
My daughter's cat has been having urinary tract problems for months and they have spent several hundred dollars on vet bills and antibiotics, without resolving the problem one bit. Now I am wondering what she is feeding. She's in school and working full time, both, and 2000+ miles away, so she may not be reading the paper or being online. I've sent her all the information. I just hope the cat will be ok.

worrier
March 31st, 2007, 02:27 AM
I tried calling Hills tonight, they have noone there to answer calls. Infact, the lastest update of the cat dryfood that was recalled, wasn't even mentioned on the recorded voice.

I use Veterinarian Science Diet Adult Original. To be honest, I'm concerned that this product will be recalled, even though they claim only one has been recalled so far.

http://www.hillspet.com/menu_foods/Menu_Foods_03302007_en_CA.htm

Funny how all along they were adament about NO dryfood being recalled, and then today Prescription Diet m/d Feline was recalled.

I don't want to overreact, I mean, I could be acting paranoid with my cat, (My husband thinks I am) I just am paying attention now to how much water she drinks, how much she sleeps. I guess if she was ill from the dryfood she would be showing certain symptoms and would have no energy at all.

My wife constantly thinks I am paranoid when it comes to things like this.:rolleyes: My advice would be not to use any company that imports grains or associates with Menu, but that's just my opinion of course and I'm sure many people would call it excessive. :dog: