Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Who eats snails?

worrier
March 29th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Was up north (of Toronto) yesterday with my friends and we noticed a bunch of holes in the field. One of them had a lot of snail shells around the entrance (75-150). Anyone know who eats snails and lives in holes? All I've seen up in that area is rabbits, didn't know they ate snails.

My terrier loved being up there but I'm not sure I should let him loose there again since he might go to ground and he's not trained to get out. Maybe if I bring a shovel... :) (just joking)

ps. the holes were approx 6 inches in diameter on average

Puppyluv
March 29th, 2007, 07:51 PM
off the top of my head, frogs, thrushes, hedgehogs and ground shrews all eat snails as a large part of their diet, but a lot of birds; jays, magpies, gulls, blackbirds, owls, robins etc, fox, mice rats and toads all eat snails as a minor part of their diet.
Not all of those live in holes, but really the holes and the shells may not be related.

eta. Look around the holes for butter drippings, maybe it's a person eating them:laughing:

erykah1310
March 29th, 2007, 08:27 PM
weasels? :shrug:

CyberKitten
March 29th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I have to admit I get upset every time I hear of anyone feeding their pet rabbit, sighhhhhhhhhh!! It just makes me ill, not violently so but nauseated. I can't imagine any animal lover feeding their pet rabbit stew. We are past the day and age when we need to resort to eating bunnies!

But I do now that yes, they are eaten in the wild and I worry - it being Easter coming up and all - more Easter bunnies ads impulse purchases and some pppl are stupid enough to believe they can leave their little pet bunny go and he'll be fine. He is food for some hawk as fast as he hits the street. Oh Gawd!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many animals eat snails!! (and I hate to admit I myself have occasionally eaten escargots).

erykah1310
March 29th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I have to admit I get upset every time I hear of anyone feeding their pet rabbit, sighhhhhhhhhh!! It just makes me ill, not violently so but nauseated. I can't imagine any animal lover feeding their pet rabbit stew. We are past the day and age when we need to resort to eating bunnies!

Im sorry but where does this come from? I dont think I have seen the word rabbit until you posted?

AND FYI, the rabbits that are sold in grocery stores and so on, are meat rabbits, not your average dwarf, lop, angora and so on. Meat rabbits are still every bit as adorable as the pet kind.
Sorry to have potentially nausiated you in any previous posts. As my dogs do eat rabbit as well as chickens ( they are cute too in their own weird way) beef ( also cute) what is this "day in age" you are referring to? Last time I checked humans are still capable of digesting animal protien, as are dogs.

SARAH
March 30th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Escargot is not only tasty, it's lean and healthy too. The main problem is finding restaurants that serve them - with garlic butter only, not all this other spicy stuff and sauces that were never meant for a snail.

Rabbits? I wondered where they shoed up too :) but "past the day and age when we need to resort to eating bunnies!" ?? Why is it any worse than eating a cute lamb or a chicken? The meat is excellent and virtually fat free - actually, what fat there is is on the outside of the meat, not in it like with beef. I wish there were more stores carrying rabbit personally.

But I couldn't eat horse meat though ...

CyberKitten
March 30th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Rabbits came up because we were discussing snails and I thought that meant food and I was at my wits end last nite and thought I have to say it - I love ALL animals and get violently ill when I read about ppl eating ANY rabbit - I don't are if they are not angora, etc - who says angoras are better? -

I did not mean to distract but I thought well, h's bells, if we are going to worry about snails, what about the poor little bunnies? I think we need to take in other ppl's sensitivities. I know I never mention things I think might hurt ppl but it seems others have no prob discussing rabbit as dinner when they know it affects others. I have seen it in stores and I refuse to shop in any store that sells them. (which fortunately is not too many now :) ) It ob did not help that I saw that thread someone posted with a dog holding a bird in its mouth - I actually threw up looking at that! My Gawd!!! How can that be considered amusing? It's very distressing! (and I see lots of gore so am not easily distressed!)

Anyway - I'll let you continue the conversation about snails,. I did not expect to be attacked for my love of animals on an animals rights site tho - it is very upsetting and while I realize it may not be intentional, perhaps when you work with the public as I do, one has to think of others' sensitivities. It is hard enough to watch ppl die on a daily basis without coming to a place where I want to relax and reading about bunnies being eaten - that's all - I don't see how that became an issue for people to suddenly pick on me. Or at least that is how I felt. I know most of you do not see death every day granted and I can't expect that but please allow me some relaxation! I rarely whine and hate to now but I can't quite believe what I just read to be honest!

Anyway - that's al lI am saying. If we are discussing food, snails and bunnies are both animals that are eaten tho I have eaten escargots as I noted. I won't do it again tho.

Puppyluv
March 30th, 2007, 09:23 PM
ck, maybe you had a hard time reading past the name of this thread, but by "who" eats snails, worrier was reffering to natural predators, not a list of members who do. This is not a thread to attack others for their food choices. You took this thread soooooo:offtopic: . And then you give us "permission" to discuss snails??? gee thanks, I didn't know threads had to be cleared with you first. Guess what, rabbits have natural predatorstoo. they get eaten daily by humans and animals alike. Not much is going to change that.:shrug:

worrier
March 31st, 2007, 12:20 AM
My original post was inquiring whether or not rabbits eat snails. No mention of anyone or anything eating rabbits.

Back on topic, after looking at pictures of weasel holes, I think it is in fact weasels like Erykah suggested. does anyone know a lot about weasels? How deep underground their holes usually go? Whether they are capable of inflicting damage to a ferocious 20 pound terrier? Are they poisonous? :laughing: jk! What time of day they are active?

I think my guy will leave these holes alone unless he sees something running into them, but still, I will think twice before going back up there.

Puppyluv
March 31st, 2007, 03:59 AM
Ynn according to my ecology prof, a weasel wouldn't touh a mollusc, so they wouldn't eat snails unless they were absolutely desperate. They eat mammals, ambibians and birds (mice, shrews, moles, ground birds, frogs etc). They have to eat about 1/2 their body weight each day, so snails won'tcut it. They eat the animals that eat snails,not snails themselves.

erykah1310
March 31st, 2007, 09:41 AM
As far as weasels go, im not sure about their eating habbits, but they can be mean little buggers. Their holes go quite a way in the ground as well.
If that indeed is what you have encountered ( well the home you encountered) I'd use a bit of caution with your 20 lb terrier.
While they are not poisionous:D they are feisty and will bite an intruder or something that is threatening them.

badger
March 31st, 2007, 09:55 AM
Hmmm. Maybe it's a critter that makes the hole to get at the snails. So an animal strong enough to make a hole that big (and deep?) and the dexerity to scoop out the snail innards. You're right puppyluv, they may not be related but it seems likely.
Big billed birds like crows and ravens are a possibility.
CK, from one bunny lover to another, I'm sending you this picture, which makes me laugh every time, my mind refuses to accept that a rabbit could grow to such proportions. His 'friend' is a German fellow, who developed the giant breed in his backyard. I won't tell you the rest of the story, too sad, let's just say they aren't being bred for the Easter market, but in a country where people are eating grass to survive. Reality bites sometimes.

erykah1310
March 31st, 2007, 10:07 AM
Ya know...
I really dont want it to be misconstrued that I dont love animals especially bunnies ( I do have 4 rescues who will never meet the demise of being food)
Its just I respect natural balance and each animal, plant and micro organisms place in our world.
So long as animals used for food are treated humanely and fed appropriately ( not pumped with hormones and stuff to make them mature and grow faster) I dont lose sleep about it.
Perhaps im "not with the times" still too in touch with my barbaric side??!?!?! But small farming of animals for consumtion is a way of life around here, as is hunting and having dogs who are encouraged to do what they were bred for.:shrug:
Not all farmers/hunters are the ones you read about in the news? And it IS possible for an animal lover (even an extreme one) to find it acceptable.
Its how I grew up, and personally I find vegitarianism/veganism to be a bit odd...
I mean why did us "country folk" not recieve the evolutionary memo stating humans dont eat meat?
I dont run off on a vegitarian about my thoughts on the whole thing, I accept that this is their choice and respect it.
Why is it that some people must insist on looking down on people like me ?

papillonmama
March 31st, 2007, 10:22 AM
Raccoons will eat just about anything that's easy to get, maybe a raccoon. In my experience, they can also hold their own.

worrier
April 2nd, 2007, 12:41 AM
Raccoons will eat just about anything that's easy to get, maybe a raccoon. In my experience, they can also hold their own.

Yeah, raccoons he wouldn't mess with, he has scrapped it out with quite a few and generally stays away now.

I say weasels because the holes out there looked exactly like this one I found searching for "weasel hole" on google.

http://www.wildlifeonline.me.uk/images/graphics/sett_hole.jpg