Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

RANT! It's a rant!

erykah1310
March 29th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Aurgh! How twisted is this… I went to get the dogs their licences and now, they are being super strict with the 2 dog limit so they only gave me 2 tags. So … I inquired about kennel licencing.
Get this. I can have a licence if I am breeding, showing or have sled dogs.
When I asked about fosters or rescues, that’s not a reasonable reason for kennel licences.
Nor is flyball or agility competitors.
How messed up is that?
When I asked how they distinguish between BYBers, millers or Ethical breeders they had no explanation for me, so basically its fine to add to the pet over population problem, but hard to help.
Gotta love ridiculous by-laws. :frustrated:
So for now, I have licenced my 2 dogs in one municipality and the other 2 under another,
Meik and Kita are now my parents dogs.:D They just chill here daily.
I am so going to argue their logic behind their bizarre "rules" Both townships.

erykah1310
March 29th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Ohhh, Luckypenny... I guess you're having a bit of an off day:D

erykah1310
March 29th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Well found my loop hole.;)
Applying under "working" kennel.
Cause you all know that Meik is our "stock" dog right ( we're getting more chickens this year) and Bailey and Kita are our " hunting dogs" yup, the retrievers that they are.;)
Puppy is our retired mascot. He was the previous stock dog.
How pathetic is this? Seriously.
The only other solution that is acceptable ( because im NOT rehoming anyone) is going under breeding. But that would be hard with all my "breeding stock" being altered. Since there is no way that they see if you ethical or not, I could go under designer breeder.:eek:
Aurgh... politics.:frustrated:

erykah1310
March 29th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks for humoring me by reading this... I have pretty much come to my own conclusions lol:laughing:

Its been a wonderful thread hasnt it erykah???

You betcha... :D

Hunter's_owner
March 29th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Lol Erykah, you are so funny:laughing:

So stupid to have a 2 dog rule without having any other rules to distinguish those who have more than 2 dogs.:rolleyes:
Good that you figured out how to manage.:highfive:

Great that you have such well rounded animals, 2 stock dogs and 2 hunting dogs;)

~michelle~
March 29th, 2007, 06:05 PM
hahah silly rules... way to be creative!!!

Frenchy
March 29th, 2007, 07:22 PM
When I asked about fosters or rescues, that’s not a reasonable reason for kennel licences.

:mad: stupid laws ! But if you register under breeder, how would they know if you breed or not ? :confused:

erykah1310
March 29th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Iwould prolly have to show papers from CKC or something, Im going to ask more on monday when I talk to the guy that is in charge of the whole thing for my municipality.
I was so outraged, a miller can get a licence easy as pie, but someone who fosters cant:mad:

Frenchy
March 29th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I was so outraged, a miller can get a licence easy as pie, but someone who fosters cant:mad:

I know (I was trying to find smiley hitting himself on brick wall) and what about kennel ? Would they ask for a proof ? Just show them the fur family and tell them ; what ? do you think anyone sane would own all of the cats and dogs ? :confused: :laughing:

rainbow
March 29th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Hee hee....I got a giggle out of your first four posts. :laughing:

But, seriously, those are some pretty strange rules. :eek: I hope you can get everything worked out. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

erykah1310
March 29th, 2007, 10:32 PM
It always seems to happen when I have some serious ramblings to do... no one is around to ramble with. So I have adapted to this by rambling and answering myself.
See it works!:D

rainbow
March 29th, 2007, 11:54 PM
You and Frenchy have the technique mastered. :D

otter
March 30th, 2007, 12:18 AM
I LIKE your rant!!! I've had the same one many times.... Here it is actually cheaper (and easier, I think anyways) to register as a kennel than it is to license two dogs. The only stipulation in registering as a kennel is that you have to fill out one form (instead of two if you are licensing dogs) and you have to "say" you run a kennel, which basically means you have more than two dogs. Clear, like mud, right! :crazy: Erykah1310, maybe you could register your "extra" dogs to a couple of cozy dog houses in your back yard... give them addresses and the whole deal (e.g. 1a Erykah's address, 1b Erykah's address)?:shrug:

Can I add my own rant??? .... I'm going to buy a license tomorrow for a dog I don't even own yet 'cause... the price for a license triples as of March 31st and there is absolutely no discount if you happen to acquire a dog, new to the community or not, or move into the community with a dog, after that date. Now..... what shall I call my hypothetical dog???:clown:

Prin
March 30th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Yeah, there was a rescue here in Montreal who had that problem. :frustrated: Priorities, eh? :rolleyes:

Frenchy
March 30th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I always wonder about this. I never know where I will wound up, I always check out houses for sale , but I don't think there's another city around here (other than Sherrington) that allows more than 2 dogs. Always tought I could register as a kennel :confused:

Prin
March 30th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Even then, Frenchy, some municipalities are limiting the number of kennel licences available. Like in Mirabel, there are super strict rules for getting a licence (has to be agricultural land, and something like 140 000 sq ft of land, and so on and so on). It's supposedly not as easy as it used to be.:o

Frenchy
March 30th, 2007, 10:08 PM
So I'm stuck in Sherrington ? :yell:

Prin
March 30th, 2007, 10:16 PM
hehe, or you have a lot of research... But it's easier for you because you're the français.:D

Frenchy
March 30th, 2007, 10:21 PM
hehe, or you have a lot of research... But it's easier for you because you're the français.:D

:laughing: I know that when I got Daisy (I already had Bailey) I did call the municipality first, before I bought the house here, I called too. All around here, it's a 2 dogs limit. I don't know why it's different here, all looks like the same kind of villages to me :shrug:

lt_danish
March 31st, 2007, 02:21 PM
Bylaws are so silly. I think my city has similar bylaws. But there are TONS of byb and people breeding 'designer' breeds :yuck: , so I think they are really lack on the 'you must be ckc registered' thing. What if you just went into the office another day? I didn't have to bring any proof of having my dog spayed, they just took my word for it. Maybe you could say all your dogs aren't altered! :D

kiara
March 31st, 2007, 04:39 PM
The reason that by-laws exist because of hygiene reasons and barking dogs. I see many dog owners that don't pick up after their dogs and I would like to report them to the city and see them get a fine. They are giving responsible pet owner a bad name. In our municipality you are only allowed two cats and two dogs and they have to be licensed. If a dog gets loose or a cat escapes and loses its way, the tag with a number helps find the owner of the pet easily. I am a rescuer and have seen many frantic pet owners coming to us looking for their lost pets. Which brings to mind another important issue that there is a need of a service that our cities don't provide! Which is, that a pet that is lost in a municipality and it does not have a tag ( because the owner breaks the law or does not care?) These pets should be kept in a city "holding area" for at least a week until the owner is found. A lot of these cats and dogs are victims of abandonement and no one is looking for them. But the pets that got lost must be re-united with their owner and not taken to "other places "??? Why we, the public don't fight for these services? We pay enough taxes to our cities ???