Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anti-social dog rant...

Prin
March 29th, 2007, 12:21 AM
I grew up with THE anti-social dog. She was a yellow lab, removed from her litter way too early after the dam tried to kill her... She was the weak runt. She would fight with ANY dog she'd come near instantly. The only one who was safe with her was our dobie, but he had lived with her since she was a puppy.

Anyway, we learned to live with her pretty quickly. She was never allowed out of the fenced yard except on a strong leash. We learned how to break up dog fights quickly. We also learned to look far ahead and all around to see any dogs before she did when we were out on walks. We left her in the car until it was our turn at the vet if there were other dogs waiting.

IMO, that's how you live with an anti-social dog.

So why then is every single anti-social dog I meet OFF leash?? The owner starts running and screaming "He's not social! Watch out!" What the hey is that?! Do they want their dog to get put down? What do they expect when they're walking through a residential area on a sunny spring day with tons of people outside? Do they really think they're not going to meet ANY dogs along the way?

Come on, people! Smarten up! :mad: :yell:

TeriM
March 29th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Yep, totally agree with you :frustrated: .

Also, just to add to your rant I hate when I am walking my dog (who has a bit of a thing against small, yappy dogs) along on leash and some jerk has their dog off leash and it comes running full tilt at Lucy and the guy says "oh, it's ok, my dog is friendly". IMO, if someone has their dog on leash and you are approaching then you should have 100% control of your dog and respect the other person & dog!

Prin
March 29th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Yes! Your dog might be friendly, but my dog is more likely to bite since he/she is on a leash and is constrained. :frustrated:
(and you don't know if mine's on a leash because he's unfriendly either)

mafiaprincess
March 29th, 2007, 12:41 AM
When I have Cider off leash I keep her well away from other people and dogs. If you are on leash, that is your choice, and it's none of my business to harass you. I get too often the twits in pet stores with the anti social dog on the end of a flexi, owner down a different aisle.. Me tryign to shop and then the owner has a fit OMG my dog is aggressive keep yous away. Uh hi? 4ft leash.. 25 ft leash. My dog at my foot, your dog in a different aisle. hello??

I've also had the people with my dog on leash and their dog on a flexi with a choke or something else that's just not cool approach full speed dog all the way out dog hits the end, bares teeth snapping taking up all the room between a house and the road as the owner is like oh yeah he doesn't like dogs. So why in heck didn't you reel him in before you got to me?

rainbow
March 29th, 2007, 12:42 AM
This is so true. The only time a dog should be off leash is if someone has FULL control over it.....friendly or not.

Prin
March 29th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Oh, the flexis!!! :yell: :yell:

mafiaprincess
March 29th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Had a tool follow me around the park last week.. Cider was off leash, 3 adults and a shelti straining to get off the end of the leash.. We were walking the perimeter of the park. We gave them a wide berth I kept Cider within a few feet of me and we walked on. They freaking changed their path to follow us around the park in the opposite direction they were going and proceeded to follow us home.. Every like 10 feet I had to ask Cider to hurry up because she couldn't help but stare at the people following us..

I try really hard not to be a nuisance to anyone else, but that was really maddening.

Prin
March 29th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Mafia, you need a bigger dog.:D

K9Friend
March 29th, 2007, 05:46 AM
a dog should NEVER be OFF-LEASH in the city! I don't care how well trained it is - I've seen the best of the best take off after a cat or whatever gets them going. :yell:

Rottielover
March 29th, 2007, 08:24 AM
I agree completely. Walking harley I am always on the look out because I know he is not great with males. We always seem to come across someone who is irresponsible, dog off leash running towards him, and us too we get the response, do not worry ours is friendly.
My response is quick. well mines not. Even if he seems ok, I do not want harley to feel he must defend himself on leash, so most of the time the people are like oh ok, dog quickly on leash.
Not all dogs are dog friendly, why does everyone think they are. Especially on leash were they tend to be more defensive. Wow, I agree, people should wake up

poodletalk
March 29th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Do you know what drives me crazy? My dog is a husky mix, she has a high prey drive and when she wants to, can pull anyone off their feet. She LOVES the dogs in her pack but isn't too fond of other dogs especially small dogs.

I have a neighbour who has a small cockerspaniel, very cute and friendly, when I see them I make my dog go in a sit postion and I shorten up her leash just incase. (When I see them coming and they are far away I walk the other direction)

My neighbour who's chatty insists on talking to me, I keep telling her, listen my dog probably won't get along with your dog, please keep your distance! How much clearer can I be? You can hear my dog growling when they approach.:mad: (I get her to sit and watch the dogs pass as an excerise not because I want to talk to the neighbour!)

The neighbour keeps saying, my dog is FRIENDLY...She likes everyone! Let them go nose to nose! :frustrated: Before I can respond, she gives the full length to her flexi leash to her dog and the dog is right infront of my dogs face!

I get nervous, I don't want her dog to get hurt, I can tell with the intensity in my dogs stare she's ready to pounce and she's growling more to give a warning!

Sometimes I have to yank my dog away from the situation becuase she did pounce and then my neighbour says, oh she's not in a good mood today! :eek:

Why can't my neighbour get it through her thick skull..NOT to do this! I have talked to her about it sooo many times about it she even tries this with my dogwalker! My dogwalker gets mad at her as well!

~michelle~
March 29th, 2007, 09:55 AM
i was shocked the other day when at the off leash park here was a guys whos dog was really aggressive and had a muzzel on! poor dog was super aggressive and kept trying to attack other dogs, luckily for the other dog he had the muzzel on, unlucky for him he was sooo aggressive other dogs would defend themselves and bite back :( stupid owners!!

Maxine
March 29th, 2007, 10:13 AM
PT, I have the exact same problem with a neighboor too!!! It drives me crazy! Plus, he never picks up after his dogs :mad: In fact, there is a lot of people in my neighborhood (St-Henri) that don't pick up after their dogs, it is disgusting. Anyway...

There is this guy that lives just by the metro and he has two small dogs that just roam around free and unleashed and when i just moved in the neighborhood i thought they were lost :frustrated: But I saw one of them trying to get into an appartment and trying to bark (no vocal cords neither:yell: ) I just just let them in, realizing they were own by that tool... UGH but one day i was walking my dog to the metro to meet a friend and one of these dogs just ran at us, crossing the street and all, and starting to bark in my dog's face.... I got scared for the lilttle dog as i tried to calm my LEASHED dog... Finally the tool decided to do something about it. The whole time he was just sitting in his "yard" (more of a junk yard but thats a WHOLE new story).

Believe me I try to not pass there anymore... :frustrated:

Maxine (ouah! feels good to rant a bit heheh:o )

Maxine
March 29th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Oh! And about the flexi... i think you guys are talking about those leashes that are "retractables"? Is so, something so scary happened to me and my father last fall...

My father was driving his "astro", kinda truck, and i was sitting on the passenger side, so it means the closest to the sidewalk. We did a stop, and i noticed a couple walking a big dog on a flexi... And i was thinking in my head "arent they for small ones?" but here again I don't know at all about those flexi... So that dog, at the same moment we are going again (stop done) he just decided to cross the street!!!!!!! We almost roll over him!! ok, at maybe 2 km/hr but i just got so scared and the couple iguess had time to stop the flexi so he stopped at like 5 cms from the right front wheel... And the couple gave us that look... like we were trying to murder their dog... oh my god... But i still can't see it as our fault. The dog didnt get touch by us, and he wasn't supposed to have that much lenght all suddenly and cross the street while the owner obviously werent going that way.... :yell: :frustrated:

Maxine

Lissa
March 29th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I seem to have the opposite problem. All the friendly dogs are off-leash and come sprinting into the face of my anti-social dog. I often have to let go of Dodger's leash after yelling to the owner that my dog is not friendly (because its the only way I can ensure that Dodger will not react). I can't count how many times I have to put Dodger in a sit stay and grab the other dog before it reaches him. I've also been known to throw a piece of meat at the other dog to take its attention off of Dodger (as a last resort because of allergy concerns for the other dog).
What really bothers me is that I have spent the last year working Dodger up to interacting with dogs and just ONE loose dog can (and has) ruined all of that work... :mad:

poodletalk
March 29th, 2007, 12:21 PM
What really bothers me is that I have spent the last year working Dodger up to interacting with dogs and just ONE loose dog can (and has) ruined all of that work...

I know how you feel!

Lukka'sma
March 29th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I seem to run into all the irresponsible owners who also like to let their dogs walk off leash. It never fails that someones dog comes running up to Lukka who is very aggressive on leash and I have a hell of a time getting her calmed down. Or another thing that bugs me is when a child is in charge of the leash and the kids dog pulls so suddenly and strongly that the kid doesn't have a hope of keeping the dog from running off. It really pi**es me off to no end!!!!! I have been pulled off my feet twice because of this crap and I wish people would learn to leash their dogs unless at an off leash park.

luckypenny
March 29th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I can so relate. How about the people who stand in front of your house with their dogs barking at your window while your dogs go totally beserk in the house? They just stand there enjoying the show while the dogs lose control.

...And the owners who don't pick up after their dogs :yell: :yell: :yell: I go to the door and offer them a bag...or five. They drive me nuts :mad: .

joeysmama
March 29th, 2007, 03:36 PM
We met up with a doozie last week. Off leash of course. Aggressive. And after he tried to take a chunk out of my baby the owner tells me he wants to be friends. Later that day I heard about the 3 humans and one big golden that he's bitten recently.

Joey was unpredictable and could be suddenly fear aggressive. He'd be looking all happy and playful and then if someone did something that startled him he might react. I never ever let him off leash and anytime anyone even looked at him when we were out I would warn them that he might bite. To be fair--he'd only ever bitten my husband but there was always the chance with a dog as badly abused as he had been.

And to be perfectly honest I think I wasn't protecting the humans as much as I was Joey. Had he bitten someone who went up to him too fast or startled him or whatever I would have been responsible. I worried constantly that something would happen and someone would want me to have him put down. I would never have taken a chance of putting him in a situation where he might have reacted.

MamaSue
March 29th, 2007, 04:51 PM
In my area it is illegal to have your dog off leash at all out of your yard, unless it is in a designated area, such as a leash free bark park or dog beach - and then they are required to be voice trained. At this point, though, I don't know how well that is reinforced.

An incentive for keeping the dogs in, though, is also the coyote packs in the area. They eat small dogs and gang up on the bigger ones if they can get to them. They even come into yards. I mean there are no stray cats around here at all.

TMac
March 29th, 2007, 05:52 PM
i was shocked the other day when at the off leash park here was a guys whos dog was really aggressive and had a muzzel on! poor dog was super aggressive and kept trying to attack other dogs, luckily for the other dog he had the muzzel on, unlucky for him he was sooo aggressive other dogs would defend themselves and bite back :( stupid owners!!

That dog should NOT have been at an off-leash park!! That is horrible not only for the other dogs, but obviously being there was waaay too much for the aggressive dog to handle! ARGH people make me crazy!!! :evil: :mad: :yuck:

Frenchy
March 29th, 2007, 09:25 PM
An incentive for keeping the dogs in, though, is also the coyote packs in the area. They eat small dogs and gang up on the bigger ones if they can get to them. They even come into yards. I mean there are no stray cats around here at all.

:sad: poor kitties :sad: and dogs

clm
March 29th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Our first dog Freddie, was aggressive. It always amazed me how many people let their dogs run leash free while walking them in a busy neighbourhood, it wasn't like the dogs were trained well enough for leash free walking either.
We had some interesting discussions with some of the owners of these dogs from time to time. Especially the ones who had very aggressive dogs running leash free. I think some of them liked to intimidate people out walking with what they thought were placid pets....boy they were in for a surprise when they harrassed Fred. My husband is a very placid non aggressive person most of the time, but stuff like that is just so irresponsible, it makes his blood boil. Fortunately those people moved away many years ago, only to torment other dog walkers I'm sure.
One shepherd actually jumped the fence of his backyard to attack Fred. His owners had a heck of a time getting control of their dog. They couldn't believe their dog could jump the fence.
And the number of parents who let their kids (little kids), run up to a strange dog just boggled my mind. Freddie looked like a big furry toy, no wonder kids loved him, but he didn't love kids. He never bit any, we were always very careful, but parents don't realize how quick it could happen, and just because a dog looks like a big furry bear doesn't mean you should let your kids run up and grab him.

Cindy

Dracko
March 29th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Just the other day I was walking Dracko and a woman said, "Look a the big doggie" to her infants. She was fully prepared to let them run up to him. I said that he isn't friendly to strangers and had to literally run with Dracko as her kids didn't stop walking towards us. :eek:

Dracko has never attacked anyone but he is not good with strangers and to me he is one of those "less social" dogs, whereby, I NEVER let him roam free and am always aware he is unpredictable around strangers. I'd rather be overly cautious than have to put him down cuz I allowed him to be in a situation he reacted badly to. Sometimes I envy those people who have such passive dogs that they automatically like everyone. But, then again, Dracko is my baby. He has never hurt my cats (not even tiny baby kittens), always been great with my (recently) ex's son (who is now 10), he isn't a runner and doesn't leave my sight, can be left alone in the house and there are never any problems, etc.

To me, you have to be aware of the type of dog you have and treat them as such. If you have one of these less social dogs and can't control it, you need to rehome it - for it's own sake as well as the safety of others. For instance, I don't take Dracko to off leash parks as he is fantastic with other dogs but not to humans who try to approach him. Oh, and that's another thing. WHY DO PEOPLE PUT THEIR HAND OUT TO HIM OR TRY TO PAT HIM WHEN I TELL THEM FLAT OUT NOT TO!?!?!? Do they think I'm just joking?:frustrated:

Prin
March 30th, 2007, 09:15 PM
I hate that, eh? I remember when we were in the city, everybody thought we had a good half hour to waste just to let them pet our doggies and talk about them.:frustrated: I can't even imagine if they're not people friendly though... People are so persistent.:frustrated:

Edgewaters
March 31st, 2007, 09:05 PM
I can't imagine owning a dog in the city ... my heart would be in my mouth all the time, walking them.

Depends on the dog, I suppose. When I was in my 20s I lived in downtown Ottawa and my roommate had a dog she walked around the Market with off-leash, believe it or not. He was great. Sat down at street crossings and waited, never showed interest in other dogs, heeled perfectly, and he didn't deliberately bother anyone. I say "deliberately" though, because he was a huge black rottie and lots of people were terrified at seeing him off-leash, and I don't blame them. For that last reason, I disapproved - nobody should be afraid walking down the street, if it can be avoided. Mind you surprisingly few people really were. I suppose if you saw him heeling so well in the middle of the Market and saw that the owner was that confident in him, then most people would feel quite reassured.

I walked him quite a few times, but always on the leash - and he was terrible, straining with strength and generally pushy, curious, interested in going up to people and dogs. Funny how different he was with his owner, even though we lived together and I spent alot of time with him!

SarahLynn123
April 1st, 2007, 12:14 AM
Yep, had an incident just the other day. We were in an offleash park and a leashed cockerspanial attacked my GSD when she went up to say hi. My dog backed up just out of the spanials reach and started taunting him. I called her over and the owner of the spanial apologized and said that her dog has been attacked before so now he attaks all big dogs. Before I threw a fit I told her this wasn't the best place for her and her dog, as there are alot of big dogs blowing off energy here. She just apologized again and walked further into the park. Im still boiling over that incident.

My GSD was fine, had a bit of blood on her face but I think it was from the spanial biting his own tongue then biting my dog as there was no broken skin.

We of course left the park promptly that day