Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thinking of switching foods... whats the next best thing?

sissani
March 28th, 2007, 10:37 PM
In light of finding out that Innova has dealings with Menu Foods - even though they dont make the "cuts and gravy" style canned food, and even though they dont use those ingredients, and even though their plant is a different one than was effected - I dont feel completely confident feeding it to my kids anymore. I only recently (about a month or so ago) started feeding it, and it has been great so far. Both my two dogs and diabetic cat are doing great on it and really love it. But like I said, this whole recall business has me wary of any company that deals with Menu Foods. I would love to feed a raw diet, but its just not a possibility for me (I live in an apartment with nowhere to store food and the only close place to buy raw meat is my local supermarket, which I'm sure isnt the same as getting it from a butcher).

So what is the next best kibble I can feed? I saw Canidae/Felidae has no dealings whatsoever with Menu Foods (is that right??). Would Canidae/Felidae be the best alternative or is there something else?

Prin
March 28th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Which innova are they all on? Innova makes their own kibble though, eh?

mafiaprincess
March 28th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I'd take it the OP means just on principle.. Like hating wellness because their canned comes from menu who makes so much garbage.. so therefore you are supporting something a little bleh..

If they are all doing good on the innova I wouldn't necessarily switch them, but I know where you are coming from.. Don't see why any company would feel the need to share a factory with endless low quality foods..

Prin
March 28th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Yeah, but to find the next best thing, we have to know which one.:D If it's regular Evo, then Orijen is best.. If it's EvoRM, then Canidae Lamb and Rice might be best... :shrug:

mafiaprincess
March 28th, 2007, 11:35 PM
My bad, true enough.

rainbow
March 28th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I feed Innova kibble and have no intention of switching. :)

Scary
March 29th, 2007, 05:46 PM
In light of finding out that Innova has dealings with Menu Foods - even though they dont make the "cuts and gravy" style canned food, and even though they dont use those ingredients, and even though their plant is a different one than was effected - I dont feel completely confident feeding it to my kids anymore.

This is new info for me... can I ask about how you learned of this Innova / Menu Food association? I was told on Tuesday by a long-term pet health food retailer that there is no link between the companies. Do you have an article or anything? I'm really curious now how/if I missed this info...I didn't see anything on the Natura site. Thanks! :confused:

I switched my cat Luna to Innova EVO kibble by coincidence 2 weeks ago - over the 5 day transition she had loose litter-box-leavings, but loves the food and is great now.

Furryland
March 29th, 2007, 06:49 PM
This is new info for me... can I ask about how you learned of this Innova / Menu Food association? I was told on Tuesday by a long-term pet health food retailer that there is no link between the companies. Do you have an article or anything? I'm really curious now how/if I missed this info...I didn't see anything on the Natura site. Thanks! :confused:

I switched my cat Luna to Innova EVO kibble by coincidence 2 weeks ago - over the 5 day transition she had loose litter-box-leavings, but loves the food and is great now.

This is off of thepetsitUSA Blog
http://petsitusa.com/blog/?p=210

"
Natura Pet Products (verified with company 3/24/07
Brands include Innova, Evo, California Natural, Healthwise,
Mother Nature, Karma Organic
Manufacture their own dry food, using their own formulas
They use only US suppliers - no ingredients come from China
or other foreign countries.
They use no corn or wheat products (including wheat gluten)
Wet foods made by Menu Foods (S. Dakota plant) but not involved
in the recall "

mafiaprincess
March 29th, 2007, 09:43 PM
http://www.naturapetcare.com/
Natura made a video they are restricting things from china in their foods, and have people at menu watching their product lines. And seem to be lookign into their own canning plant.

mafiaprincess
March 29th, 2007, 09:44 PM
This is new info for me... can I ask about how you learned of this Innova / Menu Food association? I was told on Tuesday by a long-term pet health food retailer that there is no link between the companies.

Seems a lot of retailers and distributors don't seem to have a clue who makes what where. Need to look for yourself or point blank ask companies.

rainbow
March 29th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I agree and thanks for posting that video MP.....YAY Natura. :thumbs up

Prin
March 30th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Some PR and bad spin in that video, but otherwise, yey natura! :D

sissani
March 30th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Is it just stupid that I feel better about them now, having watched that video? :shrug: :o

qhgirl1
March 30th, 2007, 08:24 PM
I would love to feed a raw diet, but its just not a possibility for me (I live in an apartment with nowhere to store food and the only close place to buy raw meat is my local supermarket, which I'm sure isnt the same as getting it from a butcher).

You could try a pre-made raw something like this:
http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?page=1308&-session=naturesvariety:42E390930808b2E969Ssy118639 C

Their canned is packaged at a menu plant or something like that but there are other companies that make a similar pre-made frozen raw.

Prin
March 30th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Is it just stupid that I feel better about them now, having watched that video? :shrug: :o

No, not at all. It was a very reassuring video.;)