Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mayday Mayday...need Help With My Gopher...and I Don't Mean My Husband

cpietra16
March 28th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I need your opinion on how I can get rid of a cute but "holes everywhere in the garden pain in the butt" gopher....and please I do not want to kill him/her. I just want it to move to someone elses property. I tried moth balls...did not work...he picked them up and threw them back at me....:o

Shamrock
March 28th, 2007, 03:42 PM
lol, cpietra!:D What a cheeky gopher, trying to play catch with you!:crazy:

Maybe try calling the Wildlife Association in your area for advice on how to safely corall and relocate this little varmint?

mafiaprincess
March 28th, 2007, 03:44 PM
We had one when I was a kid in our garden.. Dad peed in it's hole, and that made him go away for some months, lol.

jesse's mommy
March 28th, 2007, 03:55 PM
We had one when I was a kid in our garden.. Dad peed in it's hole, and that made him go away for some months, lol.

:laughing: :laughing: Why is it the only logical answer to getting unwanted critters to go away if for a man to "mark his territory"?:laughing: :laughing:

mafiaprincess
March 28th, 2007, 04:03 PM
True enough eh, it did work though. Was like morning strong urine and it tunneled to the neighbours a while, lol

chico2
March 28th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Oh,I've never seen a Gopher,is he cute???
I guess there will soon be some Gopherbabies,seeing it's spring.
What about getting a Humane trap and relocate him/her? Although I've heard it's not such a humane idea.
Does your doggie not go after it???
Then again,my lawn has lots of holes,from Raccoons and Squirrels I call it free aerating:laughing:

Dog Dancer
March 28th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Cpietra - gopher or mole? Are there little mounds of dirt in various locations? Then it's a mole. Not cute critters. I currently have a mole issue and am going to have to get a trap to (sorry) kill it. I have been told there is no way to make him move to someone else's yard, and left alone they will tunnel and ruin the entire yard. Here at work we have moles also and you can't walk across the grass without sinking down several inches as the moles have dug tunnels everywhere.:mad: Don't really want to kill the poor beast, but don't know what else to do. Will suggest the BF pee on it and see what happens!:eek: (very late at night.)

rainbow
March 28th, 2007, 05:19 PM
My neighbours have lots of gophers but they don't come on our property. I think the dogs must keep them away. :shrug:

Cathy1
March 28th, 2007, 06:53 PM
We had ground hogs at our old place. They used to come for their goodies and clean out our composter but never dug up our yard. They can count too, my husband would give them 3 cookies each and when I would give them 2 each they would chase me back to the house and wait at the door. One was born blind so we called a wildlife centre and they were going to use a humane trap but we were able to pick him up. Here are 2 pictures, one is my niece feeding Fatty. They were taken about 10 yrs. ago.

cpietra16
March 28th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Mafia princess...I don't think the neighbours would be to happy to see my husband peeing in a hole in the ground...besides his aim ain't the best:D

Cathy...now that I see your picture I retract my story...it's not a gopher...its a cute pain in the butt grounghog...:o

Dog Dancer...I lived on Vancouver island and I must say I reallythought the moles were so cute...blind and all...unfortunately my cats would always bring me some for breakfast..usually alive so I had to safe a few in my time:D

Ok so can my husband pee in their hole too????

Frenchy
March 28th, 2007, 07:21 PM
You have grounghogs in Pointe-Claire ? :confused: I moved from the city to the country and the only wild animals I see are road kills. :sad: But there holes in my yard, guess they haven't been used since I moved here with the fuzzbutts....

cpietra16
March 28th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Yah...I was talking to my neighbour and she told me that there's a blind one near the train tracks....he's been there for years and everyone goes there in the summer to feed him...I haven't seen him yet though..but he's pretty tame

coppperbelle
March 28th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I have groundhogs both in the city and at our cottage. They eat my flowers :mad: They sell something at Reno Depot called Critter Ridder. It is basically freeze dried urine from a man :D (just kidding). I don't know what's in it but you spread it around the garden and it is supposed to deter them from coming around. I guess they don't like the smell. You can also rent a humane trap from your local shelter and try to catch the little buggar.

Seriously though if you can find a man to pee in its hole it will go elsewhere.:laughing:

Spirit
March 28th, 2007, 07:38 PM
You know... if peeing was the way to go, I'd squat in a second. Of course peeing in a cup would be a better idea, but shock value is always fun.

On a serious note though, I can't offer advice (never had to deal with this problem). However, this was the best laugh I've had all day. I don't know what's funnier... peeing in the hole (ala "marking your territory"), or the gopher throwing the balls back at you. :laughing:

papillonmama
March 28th, 2007, 07:58 PM
If it's the same with gophers as it is for raccoons, (the guy at the store told me I should also pee in the problem area, the neighbors would prolly call the police, but anyway), you can use ammonia soaked rags as an alternative. Soak a few and throw them into the holes.

And I heard the critter ridder works, it's coyote pee and cayanne pepper, and some other things.

Good luck

chico2
March 29th, 2007, 07:39 AM
CPietra,so you have Ground Hogs,not Gophers???
I think Ground Hogs are adorable and funny,unless you have several of them,I would let her be.
I am sure eventually she will move on..I am surprised she chose your yard,since you have a dog??
I had one here one summer but he was only passing through,my cats had him cornered in the backyard.:sad:
He escaped under my fence on to the street and a woman ran him over,he was killed instantly:sad:

luckypenny
March 29th, 2007, 08:26 AM
We've had a groundhog living under our shed for the past 7 years. We've place a fenced along the front of it so he has an escape route behind if the dogs decide to go after him. He used to eat the lettuce in our garden but it never really bothered us; we can always go to the grocery store for more, he can't.

If you need to have him move, I've also heard that placing an ammonia soaked rag will eventually get them to go. Replace it every few days and be careful not to breathe in the fumes yourself.

dogcatharmony
March 29th, 2007, 01:45 PM
sorry i have no advice what so ever but thank you for the laugh!! Im still giggling about him throwing mothballs back at you.....need a tissue!!:laughing:

Prin
March 29th, 2007, 01:52 PM
hehe, throws them back at you.... :laughing:

My experience with groundhogs is that if you want them to stay they don't. :frustrated: We had one living under our shed and I loved the little bugger, but he didn't love me back.:sad: He packed his bags and moved to another piece of land where he was probably less appreciated.:o

Kutzy
March 29th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Try the ammonia as suggested in a previous post to chase away the gophers. We had a possum move in under our doorstep and the warden advised us to use ammonia soaked rags. He did move out but came back a few days later. We repeated the procedure again and he left for good. With the gophers you may have to put rags in several of the holes but leave him an escape route.