Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ocean Blue - does it need supplements?

Dog Dancer
March 28th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Prin, finally heard that we can get TO Ocean Blue in BC. I e-mailed the distributor who said he wouldn't bring it in last year. Now it's here. Haven't heard back where to get it near me (my regular place doesn't carry it, but I know if I talk to the Mgr they'll bring it in). So Halo has the allergies, especially to chicken, and you thought this would be a good one to try. I'm going to give it a shot. But does it need supplements do you think. I've seen a few threads here about this one and supplements and not sure what to do aboutthat. She's a slightly overweight (like mom) and not really really active - 5 year old lab X.

TeriM
March 28th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Most stores that carry Timberwolf stock the Ocean Blue in Vancouver. I have not had any difficulties finding it at all although recently my store stated that it is becoming so popular that TO is having troubles keeping up with the production levels.

I supplement with salmon oil and also use things like yogurt, cottage cheese etc for added variety.

Dog Dancer
March 28th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Hi TeriM, I knew somebody on the board from NVan was using Ocean Blue but couldn't remember who. Last year I was looking for it and the distributor (Lucid) wouldn't bring it in to BC at all. I talked to him at length about it, but it was so new he didn't want to stock it until he knew it would sell. I normally shop at Van Pet and when I was there a week ago they didn't have it, so I thought I'd e-mail Lucid again and sure enough now he said yes they carry it. I have sent him a reply as he wanted to know where we live so he could tell me who carries it so I'm waiting to hear back. But that said, Van Pet will order the product in for me if I ask them to. Last year they were unable to as Lucid wouldn't bring it in. So yay, I really want to try Halo on it. I will actually put both of the dogs on it as I find that much easier. Shadow is a 9 year Akita X with no health issues, but it's a good food I think so as long as Halo doesn't react to anything I like just using one brand. Thanks for the info though.

TeriM
March 28th, 2007, 03:22 PM
In North Van it is available at Natural Plus Pet (Marine Drive), the local pet store at Parkgate (can't remember the name). I know that Tisol in Burnaby carries it as well (plus most premium brands) so the other Tisol stores may carry it as well. I started with TO last fall and rotate through the different varieties and have been quite pleased.

Dog Dancer
March 28th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Just heard back from the distributor and he told me about Tisol in Bby having it. It's not that close to me, although I have been there. I'm just about to call Van Pet again as they carry TO and so should be able to bring it in for me. They're good that way. I did try Wolf King, but Halo didn't do well on that so we moved on to Go Natural Salmon and Oatmeal and it's been okay. She still gets spots sometimes, but I think her allergies are also seasonal so it's very hard to pinpoint - we look for control more than total elimination most of the time:shrug: Tks

Goldens4Ever
March 28th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I don't know if it NEEDS supplementation, but I supplement the Ocean Blue with a few different things. Because it's a little low in protein, I throw in a hard-boiled egg, meat, yogurt, etc.

For supplements, I give them 2-3 teaspoons of Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, an Omega 3, 6, 9 Complex capsule, & Solid Gold Seameal.

Dog Dancer
March 28th, 2007, 04:35 PM
I may be off base entirely, but I assume if Halo is allergic to poultry it might include eggs (unborn poultry). So I try to avoid them also. I have solid gold seameal at home already. I do tend to put some cooked meat on their food most nights anyhow, so that will help with the protein. The distributor says it doesn't need supplements at all, but it can't hurt right. Halo used to like yogurt, but lately she's not been happy with it. Will try again. Tks all

Goldens4Ever
March 28th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I may be off base entirely, but I assume if Halo is allergic to poultry it might include eggs (unborn poultry).....

Eggs are considered dairy, so if dogs are allergic to dairy then they would more than likely be allergic to eggs. BOTH my two are allergic to chicken & they have no problems with eggs, at all. :thumbs up

Per the TO distributor, that's right-YOU probably don't need to supplement, but one of my girls absolutely needs the Omega 3, 6, 9 complex capsule & Coconut Oil for her Seborrhea condition. I cannot begin to express what the Coconut Oil has done for her.......the results are AMAZING!!!!! :love: Our other golden does NOT have Seborrhea, but she receives those two products as well, as the Coconut Oil is great for dogs with allergies (which she has) & the complex capsule is healthy for her to have as well. The Solid Gold Seameal I just purchased a few days ago, so it will take 4 weeks (22 days) before I see anything different. :D

Dog Dancer
March 28th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks Goldens I will give them the supplements too, is there a quantity. Mine are both about 65-70 lbs probaby close to yours. Because of Halo's allergies she gets pretty flaky skin too so really it can't hurt.

I had never heard that eggs were considered dairy! See someone here once said they were worried theirs was a stupid question, but there you go, I never would have gone dairy in a million years!

Excellent advice, but I'm still waiting to hear from Prin - you know she's got to chime in eventually! I guess I'll always think of her as my food guru. But we've got lots of food guru's on here now.

BTW, I just convinced my boss to take his dog off Iams and got her onto Orijen, and am now copying threads for another friend who feeds her dog Iams. Woohoo - I feel good!

Prin
March 28th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I started giving coconut oil... It's supposed to help with yeast issues (yeast can cause flaky skin and itchy ears among other things...).

I agree so far though. It doesn't NEED supplementation, IMO, but it can't hurt. I'd be a little careful of adding more fish oil though, because the food is already so fishy. :o

but I'm still waiting to hear from Prin - you know she's got to chime in eventually! Thanks..:o :o

worrier
March 28th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I'd be a little careful of adding more fish oil though, because the food is already so fishy. :o

You think those omega-6s really come through in the dry food?

Goldens4Ever
March 28th, 2007, 10:03 PM
You think those omega-6s really come through in the dry food?

I read something about that on here recently.....there was a discussion about whether or not the foods maintain the Omegas after the kibble's been processed. I don't remember what thread it was........

Prin
March 28th, 2007, 10:07 PM
The omega-3s are pretty fragile, but when the salmon or other fish is in meal form, some do seem to survive (that's why the coat gets so shiny). You just don't want to overdo the omega-3's because that can lead to problems too. :o

worrier
March 28th, 2007, 10:11 PM
The omega-3s are pretty fragile, but when the salmon or other fish is in meal form, some do seem to survive (that's why the coat gets so shiny). You just don't want to overdo the omega-3's because that can lead to problems too. :o

okay :o :dog:

Dog Dancer
March 29th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Prin I meant it in the nicest way - honestly. So many of us have come to trust your info (and all the other info we get here). Thanks for all the advice.
Now I just need to wait for the food to come in next week.

Prin
March 29th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Dog Dancer, if you do decide on TO, just make sure to follow the news on them here... Quite a few people are getting frustrated with the lack of customer service and seemingly endless non-disclosure of important information (like where the food is made).

The ingredients look so great for these foods, IMO, but the people aspect of the company is so terrible. :sad:

As for advice... I try my best, but it's nearly impossible to have all the info about food companies and foods in general. Everything changes constantly. :rolleyes:

So did you decide to supplement?

I just remembered somebody suggested primrose oil for when the food is high in omega-3s... Gonna go find it...

Prin
March 29th, 2007, 01:46 PM
It was Spirit, here:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=377238#post377238

gypsy_girl
March 29th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Fats and oils get sprayed on the kibble after the process (unless you are talking about a baked product), and like Spirit said should be 1 part 3 to 5-10 parts 6. Most foods have a high ratio of 6, and supplementing with 3 does the trick.Hopefully the calculator will come out for this.
In order to O/D on three, you would have to ingest a high amount, and usually before that point you show signs of too much ingestion ie diarrhea.

Dog Dancer
March 30th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Ouch - Brain overload. Not enough coffee. Prin, don't worry - we know you are not a professional and don't have all the info or advice available. Well I know that, and would never hold you responsible for anything you suggested. I like to use the forum to bounce things off people and get input and ideas on things I have less knowledge on (everything..). I've seen that there have been issues getting info out of TO. Interesting isn't it. I thought I might try sending them a very nice msg and see if I get a reply. Anyhow, I have ordered a bag of the Ocean Blue and will see what happens. Tks all for the input.