Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anal gland, oatbran, pumpkin solutions?

SuperWanda
March 28th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Hi all - my one dog has anal gland issues which I found has improved since our food switch however she still scoots and licks on occassion. (She is on Orijen - so not too much fiber in that)

I have heard that sprinkling a teaspoon of oat bran on her food may help by adding extra fiber.

Does anyone know if I sprinkle the dry oat bran on her food or should I cook the oat bran like cereal first? or does it matter?

I was also thinking about experimenting with some oatmeal/pumpkin cookies if anyone has any recipes?

I want to stay away from wheat or wheat bran because of allergies.

mafiaprincess
March 28th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I was dropping a teaspoon of bran buds once a day on Cider's food since the beep beep vet told me Cider should be on Hills 19% fiber since she likes to lick her bum some...
Didn't make much of a difference I found.. But I didn't really want to add more to her food. It was what the vet suggested when I told him what I thought of Hills.

SuperWanda
March 28th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but I think bran buds are wheat?

I'm just trying to avoid wheat because she is very allergy prone.

gypsy_girl
March 28th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Yes, increases fiber helps, but not fiber like oat bran or pumpkin as these are "soluble"
You need insoluble fiber to create bulk to squeeze the anal glands. Think of something like husks or outshells of something.
Alfalfa and kelp may help, but you can go to the health food store, and see what they have for insoluble
Good luck

Winston
March 28th, 2007, 02:19 PM
SuperWanda you could check out this book..not sure if it will help!

Cindy