Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

"no dogs allowed" rant

jessi76
March 28th, 2007, 09:19 AM
my fiance is in charge of the cemeteries in our town, and as such, has the responsiblity of making the rules. Because of a few complains from one individual, he felt it necessary to BAN dogs from the town cemeteries. a rule I do NOT agree with. (but he's tyring to repsect wishes and keep the peace)

There has never been an issue with people not picking up after their dogs. Since my fiance is in charge, he's OFTEN in the cemeteries, and has never noticed any poo piles or anything. People do clean up, and dogs are always kept on leash. In fact, he's noticed many "baggies" in the trash at the front gate - which proves people do clean up.

BUT one individual complained that while he was visiting a grave of a loved one, a dog came by w/ it's owner (dog was on leash) and urinated on the grave. granted, it probably was the worst possible timing, but I don't see the real harm. All plots are beautifully maintained.

so yeseterday my fiance came home and said "well, Tucker just had his last visit to the cemetery today" which made me sad. he's a good dog, stays leashed, and just LOVES to be with his dad in the fields. he sniffs out rabbits and toads, chases bugs, and is basically the happiest dog on earth when he's there.

I just find it sad that dogs aren't allowed. A dog can bring a smile to a saddened face, and a gentle nudge and lick can do wonders to warm the heart, and a dog IMO, is a family member. of all places to ban dogs - a cemetery shouldn't be one.

this is just my personal opinion - it's in no way intended to offend anyone.

erykah1310
March 28th, 2007, 10:42 AM
I would be quite offended if a dog had peed on one of my loved ones graves as well...

I dont know what to say really, it's definately a very iffy subject.

Spirit
March 28th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I understand Erykah's comment (and agree with it too), but at the same time, not being allowed to let my dog visit a loved one is a crying shame. There was a thread here not too long ago about a neighboring dog who had a taken a shoe and was found laying on the grave of it's best friend (another dog). Animals are theraputic in times of need, and this rule should be bent, not broken (imo).

Lissa
March 28th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Poor Tucker!!!

I am surprised that dogs were allowed in such a "sacred" place (for some people) to begin with...
I personally have no issues with dogs being allowed in a cemetary. I know that even in the deepest wallows of grief, if a dog walked by and peed on my loved one's grave it would make me laugh... I'd appreciate having a moment of lightheartedness in such an awful time. It's no different than bird flying over and leaving some droppings IMO. It's just a mound of dirt to me:o

Dogastrophe
March 28th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I would be more offended if a human took a leak on a headstone than I would if it were a dog. The human should know better, the dog is just doing what is natural.

Winston
March 28th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I think that is so sad! After all some of these people may have cherished a pet! My father passed a month before I got Winston...my father had compassion for animals and often rescued them when I was a young child! I bring Winston to the grave and would be quite saddened if I was told not too! I beleive my father would have it no other way!

Cindy

jessi76
March 28th, 2007, 01:48 PM
thanks for sharing your opinions on such a touchy subject. glad to read I'm not alone in my feelings, although I do understand erykah's point completely and respect it.

Shamrock
March 28th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Jessi, I think that's a real shame. Dogs neednt be barred from cemeteries, imo.
Poor Tucker, that doesnt seem right.:frustrated:

It "is" a touchy thing..a cemetery is sacred ground. People are sensitive to the sancticty of their loved one's resting place, and rightly so.
To witness a dog urinating on or near their marker would be offensive to witness.:sad: I'd be upset, briefly..but I wouldnt blame the dog. No disrespect was intended, after all.

Even the most thoughtless of dog owners understands the "special" concept, imo, My belief is that dogs at a cemetery are under "extra" control, and that such an event would be rare indeed.

I asked about the regulations before ever bringing my dog to the cemetery where my son is buried, thinking perhaps there werent allowed.
They are, and I've never witnessed a problem with dogs in any of my weekly visits.
I keep mine "very" close, and never allow him to walk anywhere near any grave markers ... not even to step on them.

I'm comforted to have my dear dog with me during visits.:cloud9: He's a family member, as you say, Jess, and my son was very fond of Percy. Where's the harm?

The grounds are beautiful, large and peaceful. We often walk through them after, a tranquil reflection time.
I see others who are just there to walk their dogs.. residents of the area.

I worry more about interference from people than from dogs.
Like the kind soul who took my special cross wind chimes:mad:

Flowers go missing occassionally, I've heard, and the bronze flower vases are apparently sometimes stolen too.
Bad karma imo... stealing from the dead. :sad:

breeze
March 28th, 2007, 03:35 PM
IMO I feel both ways...... as long as the owner understands that the dog must be under extra controll at all times. It only takes one to destroy it for all and that one is the one should be banded. Most people know the rules and do keep the dog under extra controll but there is always one that does not care.

If more people understood this and take extra precation then there would be no problem, but not all think like that.

I would walk the dog before entering and let him or her pee and poop before going in this way they won't mark the grave stones or the grass,

this is just my opion

rainbow
March 28th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I agree....dog owners should take the dogs to relieve themselves before entering the cemetary to respect the feelings of others. Perhaps, they could erect a sign for people to read. :shrug:

breeze
March 28th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I agree....dog owners should take the dogs to relieve themselves before entering the cemetary to respect the feelings of others. Perhaps, they could erect a sign for people to read. :shrug:

unfortunatly if it's anything like here people can't be bothered to read the signs,, here we even have a buletin to notifie people about changes and they can't be bothered by reading it!!!! then they tell you "o I didn't konw when is that going to happen" :frustrated:

kiara
March 31st, 2007, 05:05 PM
I find your opinion very offensive. A cemetery is our LAST RESTING PLACE and should be RESPECTED and not pooped or urinated on. Just my opinion.

mummummum
March 31st, 2007, 06:49 PM
We are water, gases and when reduced, dirt. And if you think about it for just a moment, there is no single inch of this earth's land or waters where something has not died where you are standing right now.

The entire planet is "sacred" , if you must, and it has little to do with where humans have erected markers of their passing.

Edgewaters
March 31st, 2007, 07:43 PM
Well, I think that cemetaries aren't parks, and shouldn't be treated as such. People walking their dogs there are basically using them as a toilet. I don't really care about what happens after I die either, but, such things aren't really for the dead but for the living, and who would want to step in dog poo in the middle of a special ceremony to say goodbye to a parent or child or friend? It's one of those times when you really don't want to be distracted by ugly mundane things like poop on your shoe. In today's world it's getting increasingly difficult to achieve such a state of non-distraction, but of all our activities, the rituals surrounding grieving and loss deserve a certain amount of respect and immunity from the intrusion of the mundane world. That's what cemetaries are there to provide, not park space.

I know some owners would be very good and they would make sure that their dogs don't poop or they pick it up, keep their dogs from barking, stay a good distance from strangers (who might feel uncomfortable or frightened around dogs and be forced to avoid their vicinity) and so on. But not all owners would and how is anyone supposed to separate the good from the bad?

Part of the problem is that cities aren't providing enough green space for people and their pets, and dog owners are often heavily restricted in their use of green space that does exist (no free leash zones for pets to play and run in for instance), but that's not the cemetaries fault nor can they be expected to shoulder the burden.

Prin
April 1st, 2007, 07:30 AM
Tucker can pee on my grave whenever he wants. :) :lovestruck:

Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep
Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn's rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there, I did not die.

~ Mary Elizabeth Frye

Shamrock
April 1st, 2007, 02:30 PM
We are water, gases and when reduced, dirt. And if you think about it for just a moment, there is no single inch of this earth's land or waters where something has not died where you are standing right now.

The entire planet is "sacred" , if you must, and it has little to do with where humans have erected markers of their passing.

That is very true, mum. But it's much more than erected markers for these designated areas.
Cemeteries are burial grounds. Throughout the ages, a certain protocol has been expected to preserve their sanctity and dignity. This expectation is a correct and reasonable one, imo.

Allowing an animal to race around, urinating and defecating at will is disrespectful and inconsiderate, in the same way an adult acting inappropriately in church might offend others.
These may not be sacred places to all.. but definitely are to some. Prayers are often a ritual at both.

I see no reason why dogs should be banned from cemeteries.. but with consideration of the "special" nature of both the setting and it's visitors

Those who have no "reason" to be there.. but are using cemetery grounds only to walk their dogs should keep to the paved roadways, off the grassy areas entirely. This is only what I have experienced, and I see no harm in that at all.

Those actually "on" the grounds with their animals should excercise the utmost of care and control. Walking the dog beforehand and keeping well away from all grave markers - most especially wherever people are present - reduces the risk factor greatly.

Still accidents can happen. Cleaning up, and apologizing profusely if anyone witnessed this would be acceptable to most.

But, at least "some" of the visitors to a cemetery on any given day are the newly bereaved. Highly emotional and sensitive, they can be forgiven for not being as understanding if they see a dog trample their carefully placed flowers, or use their loved one's marker as a fire hydrant.:sad:

I'd guess this group would be the ones most likely to complain.:shrug:

CyberKitten
April 2nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
I agree that cats and dogs should not be banned from cemeteries. They may not know their loved one is there but they give such comfort and the careful cautious "owners" would never allow their pet to leave anything untoward behind. I think now of some of the cemeteries in Halifax that need to be locked because people sleep there or party at night or drink and God knows what else. I think that is much worse!!!

Why is it there is always or at least usuallyone person who spiols it for the rest of it!! Arrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!