Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Preparing for summer...

Colubridz
March 28th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Well with today's unexpected warm streak I found out Duke is extremely intolerant to heat. By noon it reached 18-20 degrees and without thinking about it took Duke out for his normal 1-2 hour walk. 20 mins into the walk he began panting so I found some shade to let him cool down in for 5. Continued on walking while he continued to pant harder and harder, now an hour away from home on foot I headed for the pet store which is both air conditioned and has water. We stopped in and while Duke gladly lay down on the cool tiles and lapped up water I looked around to see if they had any portable water dispensers and found this:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c171/exotica_reptiles16/Duke/duke063.jpg

which flips out like this so you can let them drink on a walk.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c171/exotica_reptiles16/Duke/duke064.jpg

and bought it for the return trip. After learning from our trip here I waited 20 mins to let him cool down and then we set out again. This time we stopped every 20 mins in the shade to let him have a drink and rest for about 5 mins, he continued to pant with his tongue hanging out and when we got home he looked like he was in pure bliss.

I now realise excersising him this summer may be a bit of an issue as he seems so sensitive to the heat and was curious what types of things I could get done at a groomers which may help him to stay cool? I don't want to completely shave him down but even if I could get him down to something of the length that dobermans and boxers have as his hair on his back, chest and underside is around 2-4 inchs long and very very short on his legs. Others have suggested thinning but I'm unsure of how effective this is and if it would affect the way his coat grows back.

I I do end up going that route then there's also the issue of him actually staying still for the groomer. He does know stay and is used to being brushed but still has such a short attention span as were still going through obidence school and at 7 months he's still learning.

Are there any types of cooling coats designed with materials to keep them cool during walks? I have plenty of camping and hiking trips planned for spring and fall and really want him to be able to come but I deffiently need to find some solution to help him stay cool. Even besides that he's used to a very active life style and I have no idea how I'm going to be able to keep him prooperly excersised without some type of solution.

Here's a pic of Duke's coat so you can get an idea of what length of hair and such he has...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c171/exotica_reptiles16/Duke/duke005-1.jpg

Thanks
Kayla

Melinda
March 28th, 2007, 04:38 AM
have you ever heard of a "chilly scarf"? My mom makes them, I had the same problem with my black lab, with this scarf you soak it in cold water and the "beads" absorb the water, I tie it around Brina's neck and it stays wet and cold for about an hour, you can keep it in the fridge or let it dry out and go back to normal, the beads puff out, I've passed them out to all the dogs in our agility class and have even mailed a few to florida where I'm told it works great for cooling down dogs.

SARAH
March 28th, 2007, 07:18 AM
If you take your dog(s) with you in the car this summer, they'll need to drink. Sure, you can imagine a full bowl of water in a moving car with a moving dog, right? The solution is dead simple:

Fill a sturdy and stable bowl with water a day or two before your trip and FREEZE IT! When you go in the car, take the frozen water with you. The ice will melt slowly, allowing the dog to drink a little at a time with minimal mess in the car (there will be some, but dog + car = mess anyway).

Lukka'sma
March 28th, 2007, 07:28 AM
I think gulpy's are great. I bought a couple last year and use two when I walk Lukka. They just hang of your waist band or pocket. Very handy.

sissani
March 28th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I've never seen that before! I'll have to get one for when I take the boys to the park this spring/summer!

TeriM
March 28th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I have a portable water bowl (canine equipment) that I use and then the dogs each have their own water bottle. The bowl collapses so it is really easy to put the remaining water back into the bottle.

I also think that part of Duke's reaction is just because he hasn't acclimatized for the summer yet. I find the first few hot days harder on them and then like us they get more used to it and it is less of an issue.