Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A little venting about working in pet food.

One Beagle Girl
March 27th, 2007, 07:35 PM
:yell: Sometimes I see the saddest things.

Someone came in today to ask about raw food - which is great. The sad part is what food the vet had put her dog on. This dog has a skin condition related to allergies. He has worn a cone around his neck for the last year and a half. :sad:

This is the food the poor little guy has been eating:

Ingredients:
Potato, Herring Meal (source of fish oil), Catfish, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid), Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Fish Digest, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Cobalt Carbonate

It mades me angry that a vet would 'prescribe' such garbage! :mad: Happily, they left the store with some commercially prepared raw food (it's made locally and a very good company). I just felt so so sad for the dog. Hopefully he'll do better with raw, and finally be free of the cone.

Whew, thanks for letting me rant.

worrier
March 27th, 2007, 07:47 PM
:yell: Sometimes I see the saddest things.

Someone came in today to ask about raw food - which is great. The sad part is what food the vet had put her dog on. This dog has a skin condition related to allergies. He has worn a cone around his neck for the last year and a half. :sad:

This is the food the poor little guy has been eating:

Ingredients:
Potato, Herring Meal (source of fish oil), Catfish, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid), Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Fish Digest, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Cobalt Carbonate

It mades me angry that a vet would 'prescribe' such garbage! :mad: Happily, they left the store with some commercially prepared raw food (it's made locally and a very good company). I just felt so so sad for the dog. Hopefully he'll do better with raw, and finally be free of the cone.

Whew, thanks for letting me rant.

Which local company are you referring to? :) :dog:

One Beagle Girl
March 27th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Which local company are you referring to? :) :dog:

Healthy Paws - it's made in Toronto. :D

www.tryhealthypaws.com

technodoll
March 27th, 2007, 08:01 PM
it does look like a great food! :highfive:

erykah1310
March 27th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Oh my! A year and a half! :sad: poor dog

I hope they can work this out with raw...

Scott_B
March 28th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Very sad indeed. But they're off to a better start now :thumbs up