Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Slimming down the winter chub

mafiaprincess
March 27th, 2007, 06:37 PM
So Miss Chubby is weighing in at 25 pounds.. Shes a pound to a pound and a half heavier than I think she should be. Problem is we are working our tails off on heeling and it needs to be higher value treats, not kibble to get any results from her...

We'll be back to agility weekly starting Wednesday, we are trying to get out and just be outside romp around more daily, and I've cut the kibble to 3/4 of a cup to compensate for daily overload of zukes, dehydrated liver, skim milk cheese..

It's not a huge amount of chub, but she's small, so it's enough. It's hard to see overall rib shape cause we have 3" of fur going on and it's got a lot of volume.. We've had underweight issues before, not slightly chubby issues.. any other suggestions? She's not acting like she's starving or anything, but I don't really want to cut back more than we have.. And she doesn't do veggies, even when pureed..

Smiley14
March 27th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I had to laugh at this because Petey's also got the winter chub going on right now!

He's at 63lb, ideal weight is 60lbs. He's only getting 1 1/2 cups kibble with 2 raw medallions daily. For his training treats, I've been using the Nature's Variety freeze dried raw medallion crumbled up and depending on how much he gets, adjusting his raw medallion feeding. I've also used his kibble for training as well. It won't work in the class, but does work for practice at home. I've also used carrots and lettuce (Petey will eat anything, LOL), but it sounds like she won't do veggies. That's too bad! There are a lot of "low fat" treats out on the market right now that I've used as well, but I'm not sure how accurate their claims are. :o Some of the ones I've used are the cheese or peanut butter pupcorn treats, Three Dog Bakery Jump'n Sit Bits, and the Canidae Platinum Snap-Biscuits.

Frenchy
March 27th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I could help if I could get a picture of the chubby girl :p The only thing I can offer is carots, it takes time with some dogs but mine ended up liking them.

mafiaprincess
March 27th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Cider HATES carrots.. As a pup she liked them.. I wonder if she associates them with teething pain.. She's got sweet potato-carrot puree in her dish right now, she'd rather not eat though.

She's not morbidly obese or anything, no one at agility is going dear lord let me lower the jumps for you two lol. But She's got more padding on her sides.. and I think shaved down her ribs would just not show by a touch now. She's not running as fast even after balls, I worry she feels sluggish due to it..

Doesn't show her body, but Miss Cider currently
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/Mafia_Princess/IMG_0522.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/Mafia_Princess/IMG_0529.jpg

Frenchy
March 27th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Now you might want to start by take off that pizza pizza delivery menu on the fridge, it's right at her level, do you know what your dog does when you're not home ? :laughing: P.S. it was an excuse to see her, she looks fine to me. Almost every dogs put some weight on in winter. :shrug:

mafiaprincess
March 27th, 2007, 08:18 PM
LMAO great just great I need to take the phone out of my room when I leave her there now ;)

That's okay I don't mind posting pics. See I know most dogs do gain, I'm just worried that we are trialing and soon.. And I doubt extra weight will help..

gomez
March 27th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Gomez gained 1 kilo (2.2 lbs) while he was in quarantine - a combination of inactivity and different feeding schedukes, etc...

Winter is on it's way here, so we wanted to get the weight off before more piles on - He is getting lots of exercise, which is also loads of fun for him, lots of parks, beaches, etc... and cut down his kibble a bit, also using kibble (measured amount) as treats

In the 1 week he has been out he has already gone down about 500 grams...

I think with your cutting down on Cider's food and the upcoming training, she should be fine...

She does look really good! I always love the expression on her face, so serious!

clm
March 27th, 2007, 09:37 PM
My dogs have always had the opposite problem. They get heavy during the summer and slim down when more active in the winter. Exercise is the key, better than cutting down on the food IMO. Sounds like you're heading in the right direction getting the summer activities started.

Cindy

Scott_B
March 28th, 2007, 05:44 AM
yup, simple matter of burning more calories then she takes in. So thats either increase activity, or decrease food, or both. You already cut the food back some, so keep up with the activity. If you go for walks, go an extra 10min. That kinda thing.

SARAH
March 28th, 2007, 07:06 AM
I think everyone has and does gain weight over the winter, whether we have 2 or 4 legs! Dani had slimmed down nicely last fall but I can see she's chubby again. Sheba was never a slim dog (or at least not since we've known her) and seems to have stabilized herself at an overweight amount. Their two owners have a little extra winter weight to get off as well :yell:

Nutrition is of course a large part of the equation, however neither dogs nor humans have been over eating these past 4 months. The culprit is the inactivity due to freezing temperatures which are not only uncomfortable on the skin, but also very much so in the lungs!

With the milder temperatures now, I have a feeling there will be more and more walks, longer and longer each time, brisker as well; and the winter fat will get burned off in as many months as it took to put it on.

Patience - it's not done over night!

chico2
March 28th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Cider looks great to me,Bailey,my walkingpartner is REALLY getting chubby(fat!)
It's difficult to say how much is hair,she has much more hair than Cider,we'll see after a grooming what she looks like,but Cider looks in great shape to me:dog:

mafiaprincess
March 28th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks guys. I was hoping for a solution I hadn't thought of, lol. I get skinny over winter, I ski 40 hours a week, now I've gotta work on Miss Cider. She was so so toned last summer.. *prays for the ground to freaking dry up already*

Aww I want Bailey pics. This is pretty much genetically all the fur Cider can grow, just maintained and shorter on her chest, and her head cut super short..

erykah1310
March 28th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I think she looks great... Mr.B here has to loose almost 5 lbs:eek: but now that he can run better and not fall in the deep snow, it'll melt off in no time!

Its been a while since we saw Cider Pictures... B had a message for Cider this winter, not sure if she saw it.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=37374

mafiaprincess
March 28th, 2007, 10:56 AM
LOL awww, I never saw that! Very very cute :)
They could run off the poundage together, lol.

I posted Cider as a ski patroller 4 or 5 days ago, but that's been it since like december-january for pics.