Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi all, I'm new here, but I have a question....

muskokapuss
March 27th, 2007, 04:09 PM
First off, I just want to say "Hi" to all my fellow pet lover's.....I do however have a problem that I could really use some advice for.....I boarded my dog over the weekend at a local kennel, when I brought her in she was her usual happy go lucky, hyper, pain in the butt (but in a cute, normal way!) self....We boarded her because we went away for a couple days, My hubby, son and myself. I got a phone call from the kennel on Saturday saying that my dog had a seizure and they had to give her valium to calm her down and stop the seizure. I was shocked, we had just had her into the vet and she came out with a perfect bill of health, in fact she is 8 years old and the vet said she is still healthy enough to breed her if we wanted to (just to give you an idea of how healthy she is normally)

When my husband went to pick her up and bring her home, the change in her was night and day, she went from a dog that literally would take me for a drag when I try to walk her, she is that enthusiastic about walks, to a dog that didn't even need a leash, she didn't recognize my husband or my son, (my hubby has had her since she was 8 wks old) when he brought her home, she didn't recognize the house, she didn't know where her food/water dishes were, where her pen (she is pen trained, that's her safe place that she loves when she isn't outside with us) was, she didn't show any signs of recognizing me and to be quite frank, I honestly would have sworn that they gave us back the wrong dog. In fact I called them and asked if they were sure that this was my dog because frankly "this wasn't my dog" she really didn't act even remotely like herself.

When I called the kennel, I spoke to the vet, who had given her the shot the day before, and I asked him what the heck happened to my dog???? He said to me and I quote "Let's not go there"....I said excuse me, what do you mean let's not go there, I brought in a perfectly healthy dog and the one that we brought back home is having seizures, doesn't know who we are etc....he hung up on me, so I called my vet and brought her in (the same afternoon we picked her up from the kennel) he said that from what he could see, it looked to him like she may have either gotten into something she shouldn't have, or that she could have been accidentally poisoned.

I am now dealing with a dog that is again at the vet, having an IV flush to try to get her kidney's functioning again, she is still not even close to herself and I sleep with a baby monitor beside my bed and beside her pen because when she either has a seizure or starts to cry (it sounds like a baby crying, it's absolutely heartbreaking) I come down to her room and try to calm her down and pet her, or if she's seizing I have to give her some valium to stop the cluster seizures. I am at my wit's end here, and hope that someone will have some helpful advice for me.

This is what I absolutely know, she is not epileptic, she didn't suffer a stroke, (she has had blood work and urinalysis done and I am still awaiting the results from that....) I had a complete neurological work up done on her to see if there was a tumor, or blood clot present, or an aneurysm that perhaps had finally grown big enough to press on part of her brain and the vet has ruled that out.

Oh yeah, one last thing.....I did find out from my vet that another person in my area brought his dog to the same kennel about 2 weeks before I did, and his dog ended up deathly ill as well....Of course she couldn't tell me any more due to confidentiality, which I understand completely, but obviously this has happened before.....Can someone please help me plot some sort of course of action, to A: stop this kennel from harming pets (either accidentally or otherwise, I have no evidence of any maliciousness on their part, but I'm not so sure about negligence) and B: to try to get my dog back to if not her old self, at least a self that is not in pain, or distress as she is now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

thank you,

muskokapuss & Sierra(or Stinky as we call her, trust me you'd understand if you ended up downwind from her)

jessi76
March 27th, 2007, 04:30 PM
that's indeed a heartbreaking story. my best advice, would be to contact a lawyer, and consider taking legal action against the kennel.

I hope your dog makes a full and speedy recovery, and that neither of you have to go through such an ordeal again.

I'm sorry I don't have better advice for you. :sad:

chico2
March 27th, 2007, 05:24 PM
OMG,what a terrible ordeal:sad:
Are you certain she was not fed the banned food at the kennel,if poisoning seems to be the cause,it could be possible,although I hope not:fingerscr

Dog Dancer
March 27th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I'm so sorry for your troubles and your pet's bad health. I really hope she comes around and fully recovers. Chico has a good point, it could well be something they fed her too. I don't have any real advice, except to make sure your vet documents everything and you keep all your bills. I would expect that the kennel should cover your costs if you had a clean bill of health prior to taking the dog in. So sorry you're going through this. You sound like a good mommy though and are doing all you can possibly do. :fingerscr for a speedy recovery.

muskokapuss
March 27th, 2007, 06:55 PM
OMG,what a terrible ordeal:sad:
Are you certain she was not fed the banned food at the kennel,if poisoning seems to be the cause,it could be possible,although I hope not:fingerscr

Unfortunately they are completely stonewalling my and my husbands attempts to get information....I don't think that she was fed any of the recalled food, because I made quite a fuss about if she was fed the wrong food she would pretty much "crap" all over the cage.....she is a purebred after all...and we have to be soooo very careful what we feed her....she doesn't get any wet food except for Christmas and that's her treat, and usually I make chicken and rice and veggies myself that I give her, so she doesn't have the runs...she is really sensitive....so honestly I don't know for sure what happened, but we are going to try to entice some info, with the threat of a lawsuit....we will see how it goes, I mean you don't just bring a healthy dog in and have her comatose and not even knowing you in 2 days right.....

Thank you so much for your question, as like I said I am at my wit's end.

muskokapuss
March 27th, 2007, 06:56 PM
that's indeed a heartbreaking story. my best advice, would be to contact a lawyer, and consider taking legal action against the kennel.

I hope your dog makes a full and speedy recovery, and that neither of you have to go through such an ordeal again.

I'm sorry I don't have better advice for you. :sad:

Thank you so much for your kind words and your best wishes I really appreciate them.

puss:cat:

muskokapuss
March 27th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I'm so sorry for your troubles and your pet's bad health. I really hope she comes around and fully recovers. Chico has a good point, it could well be something they fed her too. I don't have any real advice, except to make sure your vet documents everything and you keep all your bills. I would expect that the kennel should cover your costs if you had a clean bill of health prior to taking the dog in. So sorry you're going through this. You sound like a good mommy though and are doing all you can possibly do. :fingerscr for a speedy recovery.

Thank you so much for your best wishes, the ironic thing is that I am at heart a cat person....however my hubby's dog has picked me her Momma and know's that I will always be there for her no matter what, I am still gonna put on the baby monitor to check her out during the nite because I am so scared that she will have another seizure, so as I have been doing I'll be listening very closely to her, which I don't mind at all...the poor thing doesn't even know who I am half the time and that's not her fault at all.........I am putting an ad in the local paper asking if any one else has experienced problems with a local kennel, (well actually I'm putting in kennels just to cover my butt), so we will see what happens. I'm anxious to see if we get any calls.

thanks again,

puss

Skryker
March 27th, 2007, 07:33 PM
:grouphug: :goodvibes: for Sierra. What an awful thing to have happened to you! I would certainly talk to a lawyer-many will give you a half hour consult free or at low cost. That way, you would know what direction to take. Or get a lawyer to write them a letter on the lawyer's letterhead. Sometimes an official looking letter is enough to shake info loose.

Good luck! :fingerscr

CyberKitten
March 27th, 2007, 08:09 PM
That makes no sense -what they told you. She could have had a seizure and brain damage might account for the lack of knowledge of her people but still, I don't know and I am not a vet. Did this place have a good rep before? What do others - vets, grooming places, people on the dog show circuit (I assume you know them since you clearly show your dog if you have plans to breed her - she needs to be a Champion q1st as you know and now they may have affected that - which in and of itself is worth a legal note of some kind!!). I would gather as much info as possible.

I hope she will be herself again - and I hope your vet ascertains what happened to her. Poisoning - unless it affects the neurological system - and it ultimately can but that does not occur overnight unless it was a deadly poison like antifreeze <shudder> so I even wonder about that. But as I say, I am not a vet, just a concerned person who knows lots of medical stuff about humans and a relatively adequate knowledge of pet medical info for a non vet. (I mean, while the physiology and anatomy differ, many of the procedures are similar, just tinier patients!).

Legal work won't bring her back to her current state but if you were spending zillions of money (and those I know who do show their dogs to breed them spend more money than they'll ever recoup - cats too for that matter which is why I do not show my own purebreds.) How is her renal output and electrolytes? what is the verdict there?

Good luck to you in getting her better and uncovering what went wrong!!

coppperbelle
March 27th, 2007, 09:11 PM
My heart breaks for you as I read your posts. The first thing that came to mind was that someone hurt her. There are some sick individuals in this world. Why did the vet hang up on you? Isn't he supposed to be a professional? Maybe he knows something and is not sharing it. Did you pay him to treat your dog? If so, then I would think he has an obligation to tell you what he thinks happened to her.

I had a bad experience with a kennel once. Fortunately my dog didn't get sick as a result but it took her a few weeks to recover from her 3 day ordeal.

Take care and please keep us updated.

muskokapuss
March 27th, 2007, 09:22 PM
That makes no sense -what they told you. She could have had a seizure and brain damage might account for the lack of knowledge of her people but still, I don't know and I am not a vet. Did this place have a good rep before? What do others - vets, grooming places, people on the dog show circuit (I assume you know them since you clearly show your dog if you have plans to breed her - she needs to be a Champion q1st as you know and now they may have affected that - which in and of itself is worth a legal note of some kind!!). I would gather as much info as possible.

I hope she will be herself again - and I hope your vet ascertains what happened to her. Poisoning - unless it affects the neurological system - and it ultimately can but that does not occur overnight unless it was a deadly poison like antifreeze <shudder> so I even wonder about that. But as I say, I am not a vet, just a concerned person who knows lots of medical stuff about humans and a relatively adequate knowledge of pet medical info for a non vet. (I mean, while the physiology and anatomy differ, many of the procedures are similar, just tinier patients!).

Legal work won't bring her back to her current state but if you were spending zillions of money (and those I know who do show their dogs to breed them spend more money than they'll ever recoup - cats too for that matter which is why I do not show my own purebreds.) How is her renal output and electrolytes? what is the verdict there?

Good luck to you in getting her better and uncovering what went wrong!!

Thank you for your kindness, I do appreciate it. Actually no, I do not show her, because she has been our family pet, and watch dog for the better part of 10 years now. She is an absolutely gorgeous Rottie dog, (American breed with the long nose and absolutely beautiful expressionful face) It's very ironic that even though she has never had a litter of pup's she knew right away when I was pregnant with my son (who by the way I was told by numerous Dr.'s that I would never have) I know that her breed is known for being a "one person dog" but she took to me right away, and if she has a choice, she will run to me instead of my hubby, (which is a little odd, cause my hubby has had her since she was 7wks old and I didn't come on the scene till she was 1 1/2 years old)

I was actually surprised that our vet told us that at almost 9 years old and never bred that she was in perfect health and could very easily bear a very happy healthy litter of pup's, but that's how healthy she was before she went to the kennel.....at any rate I decided years ago, that I didn't need a 7 year old Autistic son, 2 cat's (both were stray's when we got them) and the possibility of 11 little rottie dog's running around my house, so the vet saying that I could still breed her now was a mute point.

The worst part of this whole thing is that she has been boarded at this kennel before a few times (my hubby and I never had a honeymoon, so we go to Niagara Falls for a weekend every few years when we can, and of course our son is always with us) we had never had a problem, but I found out that they have changed a few things since the last time we had boarded her there. They are under new management for one thing... They (the kennel) mentioned to us on the phone when they told us that she had the seizure that they would put her outside in a run....I told them don't bother, yes she is "technically" a "guard" dog, but she is only outside when she has to go to the bathroom or to be walked, which we have to be careful of because of her breed and all the people who decide that their dog's do not need a leash, I asked them to limit her exposure to the rain and such because she only goes out for the above reasons and it would upset her to be out all night in a "run"

I have tried to contact the kennel numerous times and all I get from them is that they cannot comment on what happened to my dog, (like I'm going to just accept their word and go away, yeah right!) I put an ad in the paper to see how many other people (other than the two dog's I know of) have had problems with kennel's in our area, (it's really too bad but of course I couldn't single one kennel out due to the law's) I put the ad in the paper for a week, so I'm anxious to see the response that I get.

I finally got the blood work back and it came back perfectly normal, as did her neurological exam, so I'm really puzzled as to what happened. My hubby and I are going to try to set up a meeting with the kennel, in the hopes that to avoid us going public with this the kennel will disclose what really happened to our dog, I know...I have a very good feeling that we will be stonewalled again, but at least it's worth a try till I get the result's of my newspaper ad back.

I just can't stand the thought of this happening to ANYONE elses dog, it just makes me sick thinking about it to be honest.

sorry for the rant and all.....my apologies, it's been a really tough, scary, and confusing time for me and I am so grateful to all that have responded and given idea's etc. to us. I no longer feel alone and that's a very good thing for me:)

thank you again,

muskokapuss
March 27th, 2007, 09:25 PM
:grouphug: :goodvibes: for Sierra. What an awful thing to have happened to you! I would certainly talk to a lawyer-many will give you a half hour consult free or at low cost. That way, you would know what direction to take. Or get a lawyer to write them a letter on the lawyer's letterhead. Sometimes an official looking letter is enough to shake info loose.

Good luck! :fingerscr

Thank you, we are going to at the very least threaten to get a lawyer and the press involved if they do not give us the answer's that we need. It's crazy for them to think that we are just going to accept our "completely different pet" and not ask very probing and likely uncomfortable questions of them. I am going to seek legal advice first thing tommorow morning.

muskokapuss
March 27th, 2007, 09:34 PM
My heart breaks for you as I read your posts. The first thing that came to mind was that someone hurt her. There are some sick individuals in this world. Why did the vet hang up on you? Isn't he supposed to be a professional? Maybe he knows something and is not sharing it. Did you pay him to treat your dog? If so, then I would think he has an obligation to tell you what he thinks happened to her.

I had a bad experience with a kennel once. Fortunately my dog didn't get sick as a result but it took her a few weeks to recover from her 3 day ordeal.

Take care and please keep us updated.

thank you so much, yes she very definitely was abused there, and the vet just confirmed this to us tonite, she has been shying away from us petting her on the head, (which she never ever did before) and of course we suspected that she could have been abused, but with all the other problems we just weren't sure what happened, our vet confirmed it tonight that at the very least she was beaten about the head because of her severe reaction to us trying to pet her and love her as we usually do. The vet at the kennel was called in apparently because she was having a seizure, but now that we are putting more things together, I have a feeling she had a seizure because she was beaten. I am going to get to the bottom of this no matter what it takes, the kennel will definitely regret the day they decided that my poor dog and our family were inconsequential enough to not answer any questions as to what happened to her. As I said in an earlier post we have put an ad in the paper to see how many other people have had trouble with this kennel, my vet did tell me of another person that had the same problem 2 wks before we did (and our vet is 30 mins out of town) so I can just imagine how many people have had problems that I haven't heard of yet.

Keep your finger's crossed for me please, I am not going to let these people get away with traumatizing and almost killing my dog that's for sure, they need to be stopped before any other pet's are hurt or killed.

chico2
March 28th, 2007, 07:52 AM
OMG,this just makes my blood boil,the thought of anyone possibly beating her:evil:
I would get a lawyer,even if I had to take a loan to pay him/her,there is no way this supposed kennel should get away with this.
This poor dog,I wish they could talk:sad:
It must be tearing you apart,I know I would not rest until I found out what these people did to my loving dog...:yell:

Furbaby Momma
March 28th, 2007, 11:36 AM
My :fingerscr are crossed and giving you a :grouphug: Muckokapuss I am so sorry this has happened, I truly hope your dog will recover from this tragedy.

rainbow
March 28th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I am so sorry for what you, your family and Sierra are going through. :grouphug: I could not believe what I was reading.....your story is just so tragic and sad. :sad:

I agree with the others who said to get a lawyer involved. You will get much faster and better results than trying to do it on your own. My heart goes out to you. :grouphug:

Please keep us updated.....GOOD LUCK. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Dogastrophe
March 28th, 2007, 07:07 PM
So sorry to hear about your pup. Your vet, the kennel's vet, any vet, all have some pretty cut and dry guidelines laid out by their Provincial licensing body. If the kennel's vet treated you extremely poorly it is certainly well within your rights to lodge a complaint with your provincial vet association.

The shabby treatment and shady answers they have been giving you doesn't pass the smell test. Seems like they screwed up badly and are now trying to make you go away with some infantile bully tactics.

Hope all works out well. :grouphug:

Spirit
March 28th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I put an ad in the paper to see how many other people (other than the two dog's I know of) have had problems with kennel's in our area, (it's really too bad but of course I couldn't single one kennel out due to the law's) I put the ad in the paper for a week, so I'm anxious to see the response that I get.

I'm glad I read this whole thread, because this is what I was going to suggest. The best way that I can see, is to go to the papers or to your local news, and see if you can find others who've been affected by this same kennel. Legal action is something I would persue, but "power of the pack" definitley applies here.

I'm really sorry that this has happened. Please keep us posted on this matter. There are many people here who would help in any way we can, and so I hope that you get the support you need at home too, to put an end to this. :grouphug:

dustybird
March 28th, 2007, 08:13 PM
I am soo sorry that this has happend and I hope things get better and a lawyer is a good idea. Ditto with what everyone else has said. One of the first things that came to me was that she was punched in the head. I have heard of dogs being hit hard enough to have a seizure. I would think if she was poisioned something would have shown in the blood work(kindneys etc..). If I had someone on staff that hit an animal I wouldn't be protecting them. If that is what happened they obviously hired someone who is not familiar with dog behaviour/language. I don't know if it would casue such a reaction but could another dog have been on meds that they accidently gave her?

Anyway the point is they did something wrong and you have every right to know what happened. I hope you get answers and that she will get better, does the vet think that there is any swelling of the brain that may be causing the seizures etc... if so can they give her an anti-inflamatory med(don't know if that does anything), there is a drug for dogs with possible head trauma(hit by car etc..) but I can't remember the name or what it really does etc. The more they try to hide what happened or think happened they are setting themselves up for a lot of trouble. Being open and honest on their part would make them look at least like they cared a little, and I would go after them for vet costs. You have it in your favour that she had just been to the vet and given a clean bill of health. I'd maybe call the cvo(ontario vet college) and see what they have to say about the vet at the kennel, he should not have hung up on you and said "lets not go there".

People who own kennels should know that we think of our pets like they are our children and they should love animals as much as we do.

:fingerscr :fingerscr :grouphug: :grouphug: to your family and your special furr baby, its obvious you love her very much, she's a lucky girl to have such a loving family.

Dracko
March 29th, 2007, 10:05 PM
All I can say is any kennel who wouldn't be empathetic and give a crap or a vet they get to come in who hangs up on people ARE NOT ANIMAL LOVERS. I went to check out a kennel once and the lady working there threw ROCKS at some of the dogs to discipline them! :eek: Needless to say, I couldn't get away from there fast enough.

Mocha's mum
March 29th, 2007, 10:16 PM
OMG! :eek: Your story makes me feel sick. Your pets are part of your family, and if anyone had the audacity to treat my family without the dignity and respect they deserve....I'd absolutely lose my mind.

I wish you all the best in your battle with this kennel. Mocha and I will have you in our thoughts and prayers. IMO, you're dealing with this a heck of a lot more reasonably than I ever would (or could). Please keep us updated with any information you get. Meanwhile....:grouphug:

Bearsmom
March 30th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Just a couple of questions for you:

Did you sign a waiver allowing the kennel's staff vet to administer any medications? They, by law, are required to notify you PRIOR to administering any medications.

Is there a chance she's allergic to the meds they gave her?

I am so terribly sorry she's going through this, our once rescue dog underwent some major setbacks after being left at a "reputable" kennel for a weekend. PM me if you'd like some details of what he went through.

muskokapuss
March 31st, 2007, 07:37 PM
Just a couple of questions for you:

Did you sign a waiver allowing the kennel's staff vet to administer any medications? They, by law, are required to notify you PRIOR to administering any medications.

Is there a chance she's allergic to the meds they gave her?

I am so terribly sorry she's going through this, our once rescue dog underwent some major setbacks after being left at a "reputable" kennel for a weekend. PM me if you'd like some details of what he went through.

NO I absolutely didn't sign any kind of waiver....however having said that when they called and said that she was seizing I did give them permission to treat my poor puppy....I don't think that she was allergic...because my own vet gave me the same med's to treat her at home and she was fine, I was very very hesitant to give her any kind of medication, but I had to, so I could calm her....and it did work, when I gave her the valium she calmed down in about 10 minutes, I stayed with her and talked calmly to her and told her that "I'm sorry I have to stick this up your butt.....however it will help you calm down and maybe stop your seizures" poor thing she just looked at me, not even really knowing who I was....I was literally in tears, I mean she's been our Rottie dog for 9 years now....but now she's getting back to normal thank God, she knows me, and my hubby, and even watches the cat's (my little black stray Trouble ...we got her from Tim Horton's in an ice storm...like's to watch Stinker, and Stinker always likes to look at Trouble, she seems facinated with the cat, of course I can't let them meet face to face because I have absolutely no doubt that my little scrapper Trouble would win any type of battle with my Rottie dog....so I go to great lengths to make sure that they are never nose to nose.

I gave my vet back most of the vallium, but I did keep a couple vials, just in case she has another seizure, but so far so good, she has been seizure free for 5 days now and of course I am :pray: that she continues to improve, so far she's not howling tonite which is a first, she's been really quiet today, so I keep going to check on her, to make sure she's okay and every time I go out to see her her back end wag's at me just like it used to, so I'm very grateful.

I'd love to get in touch with you to see what your poor pupper went through, but I'm just new to the whole IM & PM thing...but I just figured out how to PM you...so "you have mail"

thanks for your concern, I appreciate the support,

chico2
April 1st, 2007, 08:23 AM
Thank you for the update,I am glad to hear Sierra is improving and I understand this is the most important issue to your family.
I only hope this"kennel"will not do the same to another innocent animal:pray:

Prin
April 1st, 2007, 09:38 AM
That's terrible! :grouphug: Do you think maybe they fed her the contaminated food that has been recalled? When I worked in a kennel, some dogs wouldn't eat so they told us to put crappy canned food in with their food... :o

I'm so sorry you're going through this.:grouphug: