Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Food Analysis - how good is what are YOU feeding?

Scary
March 27th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Hi All!

:dog: This dog food site was recommended to me by a health food store owner, concerned about what he feeds his pets too. (No, neither of us worked on or for this... :angel: Its just good info!) Read the first page to understand what they've done and there's a link to the 'how the assess the food' part, then continue to search for your pet's food, rated from 1-6 (six is best)...

:cat: I was told that while cat food isn't shown, its still a great independently researched guideline to what each manufacturer and brand is like.

I hope its ok that I post this link, maybe you all know of it already... but I based my cat food switching on recomendations herein, and from caring people from this site. For your interest:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

Anyone care to share their thoughts on this? I found my 'good' food that I previously used for my cat Luna was in the "2" catagory (Nutro Natural Choice)... now I have switched her to a "6" food (EVO.)
~Scary

worrier
March 27th, 2007, 03:45 PM
so I guess Creatine is a perfectly normal ingredient since Wild&Natural is a "6-star" food? nobody answered my questioned yet in the other thread.

and the Calcium levels are so confusing for me... why do they vary so much food to food?

"6-star" foods:

Nature's Variety Raw instinct:
CALCIUM (min.) 2.49%
PHOSPHORUS (min.) 1.43%

GO Natural Grain-Free:
Calcium min 1.8%
Phosphorus min 1.2%

:confused:

gypsy_girl
March 28th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Yes, creatine is natural, but certainly not "normal" for an ingredient. We feed it to the horses who are working hard.
The calcium level will always be high in "grain free" foods that are using high amounts of "meal" ie chicken meal turkey meal, as there is bone in the meal. More meal = more bone = more calcium
However this does depend on the type of meal they are using, the more expensive the meal, the less bone.

SARAH
March 28th, 2007, 01:08 PM
True, creatine is taken as a supplement after a heavy weight workout at the gym by those wishing to build muscle (bulk). In all fairness though, creatine is naturally present in foods anyway, so this is just a "little extra" not something added out of nothingness so to speak. At least there aren't any steroids!

worrier
March 28th, 2007, 04:37 PM
But creatine doesn't build much muscle, it just retains water in muscle to make them appear larger. In fact, it has been documented as making muscles more prone to injury. Furthermore, if they feel the need to add extra creatine to the food, it makes me wonder about the quality of their meats.

rainbow
March 28th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Creatine is so far down the list of ingredients that the amount added would be very minimal.

worrier
March 28th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Creatine is so far down the list of ingredients that the amount added would be very minimal.

re-read my screen name :o :laughing: