Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Horrible Morning!

luckypenny
March 27th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Just need to vent about an awful morning. I took Lucky for his walk first, all went well. Then I took Penny....:frustrated: There was a mother standing at a bustop with her little dog and her children. Penny went totally beserk and started barking, growling, lunging and it terrified them. Normally I would just give a little tug on her leash and continue walking but she just went nuts. I had to drag her halfway down the street before she calmed down. Now I know I'm supposed to remain calm but it took every bit of energy not to :yell: at her (which I managed to not do).

So a few hours later, we went into the backyard to play in the mud. Penny normally retrieves the ball and drops it at my feet while Lucky usually sits around watching. Today, she didn't bring the ball back. Also, both Lucky and Penny were totally nasty with each other for the first time. Both their hairs were standing on end on their backs. It's like they both wanted to play at first and then it got out of control. I called them to the door, washed them up and let them inside. Penny went to lay down in my room and after a few minutes, I found Lucky laying on the sofa. We don't allow them up and Lucky hasn't tried in over 3 months. I told him "off" which he did after some hesitation. He laid on the floor and growled at me (for the first time ever too). What on earth is going on with these two?

Anytime anyone passed by in front of the house, Penny would growl and bark uncontrollably. Usually when I say "quiet" she does. Guess what? Not this morning. At one point, I went to the window to see what was up and she turned to bark at me :confused: .

Seems like there's some hierachal restructuring going on and their both taking it out on me.

Penny has an appointment at the vets in a couple of hours; hopefully he can shed some light on what's going on.

Frenchy
March 27th, 2007, 11:45 AM
You know what LuckyPenny ? Last week , Sam was grumpy, that's when he was sick. Since his vet's visit , no more growling ! Maybe Penny is just no feeling like herself. Keep us posted on the vet visit :fingerscr :goodvibes:

breeze
March 27th, 2007, 12:20 PM
I hope nothing is wrong with them :fingerscr maybe it is the change in seasons, (can dogs have pms hahaha) keep us posted I will keep my fingures crosses for you

rainbow
March 27th, 2007, 01:52 PM
It's probably because Penny is not feeling well with her hair loss issues. Hopefully, the vet will have some answers. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

luckypenny
March 27th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Well all the way into town to hear that the vet saw no need for blood tests. He agreed that her coat looked terrible and that she was "molting". He felt that a blood test at her age wouldn't tell us much and would be a waste of money and that I should wait a few more weeks to see if it doesn't get better before doing a skin scraping. He also said it could just be a seasonal/hormonal thing. Hmmm, how reassuring.

Well, I guess I better hit the phone book to see where it is I could "waste" :rolleyes: some money to have a blood test done. I don't get what he means by she's too young to to have a blood test to confirm anything.

rainbow
March 27th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I posted in your other thread that I didn't realizw how young Penny is so it is highly unlikely that it would be hypothyroidism. Did you mention to the vet about Penny's "out of character" behaviour this morning?

poodletalk
March 27th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I would recommend the vet on Riverside and Victoria in St.Lambert! She really cares about the animals :thumbs up

luckypenny
March 27th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I posted in your other thread that I didn't realizw how young Penny is so it is highly unlikely that it would be hypothyroidism. Did you mention to the vet about Penny's "out of character" behaviour this morning?

Why would it be unlikely? Is it age-related? I did mention her behavior and he suggested I contact the behaviorist we had working with Lucky. So, if I call her and set up a home visit, it'll cost another 300$ and I know she'll tell me to have a blood test done to rule out anything physical! We had to do this for Lucky. I'm so frustrated, I could just kick myself for not insisting on a blood test when I was there. All I could think of was that I didn't want to deal with people giving me the run around.

Poodletalk, can you call or PM me with the number of the vet you suggested? Thanks.

rainbow
March 27th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Hypothyroidism usually shows up "around" 5 yr. old or so.

rainbow
March 27th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Just re-read your other post. How long have you had Penny and how long was she on the Medi-Cal before you switched her to Canidae?

luckypenny
March 27th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I've had Penny since Dec. 24th, 2006. I fed her the Medi-Cal for the first two months before switching her to Canidae, which has been a month now.

rainbow
March 27th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I'm thinking she could be allergic to chicken as it is in both the Medi-Cal and Canidae. I would try switching proteins to see if she improves. California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato is one of the foods with the least ingredients and that's where I would start.

www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=product-detail&pxsl=%2F%2Fproduct%5B@id%3D%271326%27%5D

luckypenny
March 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I'm thinking she could be allergic to chicken as it is in both the Medi-Cal and Canidae.

But she was fine on the Medi-Cal. She was fed a variety of foods at the shelter (donations) prior to that, for the almost 2 months she was there, and she had a beautiful soft coat. I'm at a loss.

chico2
March 27th, 2007, 04:19 PM
I have a bag of Medi-Cal Dental(got talked in to it by the vet) I only give the cats as treats,was warned by a lady at PetSmart,her cat lost her hair from Medi-Cal,my cats have been ok..

rainbow
March 27th, 2007, 05:03 PM
But she was fine on the Medi-Cal. She was fed a variety of foods at the shelter (donations) prior to that, for the almost 2 months she was there, and she had a beautiful soft coat. I'm at a loss.

Did you happen to pick up one of Medi-Cal's brochures to compare ingredients? I used to have one but can't find it and they don't list ingredients on their website. I know the first ingredient is corn and the meat protein is chicken. Canidae has turkey as well as chicken....maybe it's the turkey that doesn't agree with her.

coppperbelle
March 27th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Hold old is Penny? Chloe was about 4 when she began showing symptoms but it was a year later before it was diagnosed.

luckypenny
March 27th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Hold old is Penny? Chloe was about 4 when she began showing symptoms but it was a year later before it was diagnosed.

She's about 10 months old.

We went to see another vet tonight and she was pretty sure it was some type of skin mites. She said either that or she's not digesting whatever I'm feeding her but she's leaning more towards the mites. Penny was given a dose of Revolution and I was told to return in two weeks if she hasn't shown some improvement by then. She impressed me when she offered to see Lucky for free. I went back home to get him and she gave him a full check up and then a dose of Revolution as well.

As for their behaviors, she didn't think it was related to Penny's health. She felt that even though I have trained them well, I should "up" my expectations of them. She said I was dealing with two teenagers, one younger and one older, and they were both testing me.

I guess it's some sort of a relief, at least she did something. I just hope that this is what Penny does indeed have and that she gets better soon.

Thanks everyone, for helping out.

Frenchy
March 27th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Glad you got a second opinion (the one Poodletalk posted about?) I think I heard about that clinic , good place. So now you have 2 and 4 legged teenagers :laughing:

coppperbelle
March 27th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I didn't realize that Penny was still a puppy. Thyroid problems usually occur when they are older.
HOpefully the Revolution will do its job and she will start growing her fur back. Could she be just losing her puppy coat?

luckypenny
March 27th, 2007, 08:35 PM
I didn't realize that Penny was still a puppy. Thyroid problems usually occur when they are older.
HOpefully the Revolution will do its job and she will start growing her fur back. Could she be just losing her puppy coat?

I wish, but it's not likely. She's gone bald around her neck, shoulders, hind legs, and some spots missing on her tummy and tail. I hope the Revolution will do the job too. I hate it when I don't know what's wrong. I get all hyper and frustrated :evil: :o . Maybe I ought to try some of Lucky's Clomicalm...

Frenchy
March 27th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Maybe I ought to try some of Lucky's Clomicalm...

I believe liquor is cheaper :p

breeze
March 27th, 2007, 08:41 PM
what is skin mites If you don't mind me asking I never heard of it

luckypenny
March 27th, 2007, 08:57 PM
The vet said a type of mange; mites that live on the skin and hair follicals.

poodletalk
March 28th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Glad you got a second opinion (the one Poodletalk posted about

Yes, she went there, the vet is a sweetheart of a lady!

:offtopic: When my old lady dog Chaos was still alive, she was sick and she stayed at the vets for a week or two. The vet lives upstairs from her clinic, Chaos refused to eat so the vet cooked for her! Chaos had meatpie one night, another night she had fish. When Chaos died, (couple of months after the visit, at the age 15.5 years old) the vet sent me flowers.

I'm sorry I went off topic there LuckyPenny, I am glad that everything will be ok with Penny!

luckypenny
March 28th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Thank you for the refferal Poodletalk. With so many vet clinics around here, it's difficult at times to choose.

So far it's been a good morning; let's hope it stays that way or I might be visiting the SAQ as per Frenchy's recommendations :) . I've increased their training and both had been absolute :angel:s on their walks late last night and this morning.

One Beagle Girl
March 28th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Sounds like you've found a terrific vet!

Good to hear they were good on their recent walks. Maybe your pup has reached the 'terrible twos' :p

Keep us posted on her skin condition please.

Furbaby Momma
March 28th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Sorry you are going through all this Luckypenny, just wanted to send :goodvibes: your way and glad to hear the walk went well.

Happy that Poodletalk, helped by letting you know about this wonderful vet, looking forward to an update...take care. :)

rainbow
March 28th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I thought of mites or lice or a flea bite infection but presumed your first vet would have caught that. Glad you have found a vet that is much better.

Did she say if it's Demodectic or Sarcoptic? One of them (I think Sarcoptic) is contagious. You need to vacuum really well every day and wash all his bedding and anything he has come into contact with. Also, vacuum out the vehicle she was in. And, you would also have to treat Lucky.

Also, ask the vet about Ivomectin as one of them responds much better to that treatment.

luckypenny
March 28th, 2007, 06:43 PM
She didn't specify but I'm assuming it would be demodectic seeing Penny has no signs of redness, swelling or itching. Just really dry skin, and dry coarse hair. It's so odd how this suddenly came about. Lucky was treated with Revolution as well, just in case even though his coat is really soft and healthy. No fleas or lice were found on either one of them. If I see no improvement within the next week or so, I'll take her back to the vets and even sooner if she gets worse.

Frenchy
March 28th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Speedy recovery for Penny :goodvibes:

rainbow
March 29th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I hope Penny responds well to her treatment. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Prin
March 30th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I hope she recovers quickly. :grouphug: :goodvibes:

luckypenny
March 30th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Thank you, I hope she's better soon too.