Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Appealing to vegans or anyone else with ideas?

raingirl
March 27th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Ok...it's Tuesday. Sunday I started a new "diet" (not to lose weight, but to figure out why I feel so tired and crappy all the time). I have been seeing a naturopath and dietician and I have a whole new food plan in front of me.

This is the issue - no sugar or dairy for minimum 3 weeks. And I AM DYING!!! Not only that, to improve how my body digests food, I can't have carbs and protein at the same time (except for those grains that are high in protein themselves). Because protein and carbs digest at different rates - different enzymes are released by the stomach. If you eat both at the same time, only half the enzymes required are relased, half for protein, half for carbs. So, that's why they are eaten separately.

So...i can't have sandwiches...unless it's veggie only (which I don't mind, because I could put some roasted peppers and stuff...) but then arrises a prob - I want cheese on my sanswiches...and I can't have any.

Anyone know any GOOD vegan cheeses (soy or rice base "cheese" style products?).

Anyone have any food ideas? dinner isn't that hard because I can have any meat with veggies - that is fine. I'm having problems more with lunch and breakfast. I can have eggs, but i like my eggs with cheese or toast, neither which I can have.

Please...help me...i'm dying!!

Oh yeah....any no fruit or anything fermented (vinegars, etc, which rules out almost EVERY sauce, flavouring, condiment).

cpietra16
March 27th, 2007, 09:28 AM
vegweb.com

this site has pretty good recipes. I have been a vegetarian most of my life and I must say I don't really like any soy cheese products. can't you just stay away from cheese...:shrug:

I'm sure if you google vegan/veg diet you'll get many ideas. Good luck.

raingirl
March 27th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks. I'll check that out. so far my searches online haven' t yeilded any results.

I just dont know what to eat. I used to eat cheese at least once a day. My favourite foods all include foods I can't eat. Like pizza (I LOVE pizza), pasta with meat (can't have pasta with meat, so no meat lasagna, meat sauce, anything!!), no tacos (no cheese, no corn, no meat with carbs, no sour cream, no salsa!!), no cream sauces, no marinades, no salad dressings (not even simple vinagrettes), no ketchup, no soup (unless home made, because most commercial stuff has sugar in it), no pork and beans (sugar from molasses), no grill cheese. No yeast breads either, only unleavened breads!! No mushrooms either (i love mushrooms), no tomatoes and no peppers (which were my three main veggies!!), no soy sauce even....

:(

I caved and ate a oatmeal cookie at break...

billyp
March 27th, 2007, 10:11 AM
your body adapts failry quickly to what you eat. I diet down about 40 pds every year from january to may and I know what you mean about your craving for cheese.
However if you fight it another week it should start becoming easier. Your body is only asking for something it was used to eat.
Your diet seem pretty good you should give yourself a kick in the butt and wait for this cheese taste to go away! ehehe
When I get cravings or really feel like eating something I drink lots of water and I eat raw broccoli...or celery...
Also..water intake is very important..depending on your bodyweight you should be drinking anywhere between 12 and 16 ounces of water every hour.
That helps a lot too

raingirl
March 27th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks. I know it will get easier. My doc called this the "healing crisis". I just feel so hungry and don't know what to eat. I had Kamut puffs with rice milk for breakfast and it was SOOO unsatisfying.

I am going to make some hummus tonight, which I love, but I have to get some whole wheat pita bread or something to eat it with.

Curry seems to be ok too, since I love curry califlower and curry chicken and mosts curry pastes/sauces are sugar free/no sugar or vinegar. I like that. So I had veggie curry last night with brown rice. That was fine. But you can only eat so much curry!!

I can eat eggs, but don't know what to do with them. if I want to eat an egg by itself, i usually just microwaved it with some veggies, cheese, and put it on toast. With just veggies, i'm not sure I could eat it...

As for water, my dietician suggested 90 oz a day. That means in my nalgene bottle, 6 and a half bottles worth. Ug...and I work in a call centre and getting up to pee isn't easy (I can take 1-2 pee breaks in addition to my regular breaks/lunch).

raingirl
March 27th, 2007, 10:43 AM
I just found one recipe for salad dressing using tofu and lemon juice (which I am allowed). Gonna try that with some garlic and herbs - see if it's any good.

And it just occured to me I can use dried mustard...instead of prepared.

cpietra16
March 27th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Try scrambled eggs with cut up peppers, green, yellow and red....and add some fresh ground pepper....very good:thumbs up But I guess you have to really like peppers:D

raingirl
March 27th, 2007, 01:20 PM
peppers aren't allowed..otherwise I would eat that. :( It's like all the food I usually eat was taken out. That's what's hard...

Am I a nut for believing in this?? I do...but i feel kinda stupid of the sudden just believing that this will help? I have felt like crap for years, and I was optimistic this could help...now I'm all worried it won't and it will all be for nothing...

joeysmama
March 28th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Raingirl, are you doing Marilu Henner's Total Health Makeover? Her plan consists of no dairy, no sugar , no red meat and food combining by not eating protein and carbs in the same meal.

I've been doing this plan since the late 90's so if that's what you need info on I'll be more than happy to help you out. I think that you should probably PM me since I now work for Marilu so maybe it would be self promotion to talk about it here?

But just to clarify--I'm not selling anything or trying to promote anything. I'm just offering menu assistance or help with any questions about food combining, dairy free etc. It's really interesting.

Whatever you're doing sounds very similar anyway so try to keep at it. When I started food combining I was so surprised at how I no longer had that mid afternoon energy slumpb. Turns out my body was always trying to hard to digest things. By keeping the proteins and carbs separate my food was digesting more efficiently and I was cutting back on the carbs I ate.

Anyway--it was the best thing in the world for me to eat good whole foods, not a lot of processed foods, and to food combine.

joeysmama
March 28th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Oh you asked about vegan cheeses.

Follow your Heart is a good vegan cheese and it melts fairly well. I sometimes shred a brick of that and take it to the pizza parlor and they'll make my pie with it. Also Soy Moon. Their smoked gouda is incredible.

Veggie singles are nice if you want an egg with a slice of cheese melted on top but they are not vegan. They do have casein in them but many people are ok with casein so it's personal preference there.

No fruit? Well that answers my previous question because Marilu advocates eating fruit for breakfast. Have you tried soy yogurt? I like to put a plain unflavored yogurt in a colander lined with parchment and let it drain until it's thickened. (a couple hours) Then cover it up again and have it the next day with maple syrup drizzled on top. (real syrup not sugary ones)

How about an omelette loaded with veggies?

Oh another thing. Try different milk subs. They vary so much in taste from one brand to another. I don't care for rice milk at all. My husband likes Silk unsweetened soy milk. My son likes half rice milk and half soy milk. My daughter like 8th Continent Soy Milk.

I have a friend whose daughter is allergic to soy and rice and she drinks oat milk and loves it.

Oh also, do you have a good health food store near you? A Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods? There are a lot of brands of soup that have no sugar or dairy. They're great to have on hand.

I can give you a bunch of recipes. I make vegan oatmeal cookies that most people love and don't realize that they're healthy. Can you have sucanat--which is an unrefined sugar? It works great in baking.

I also make white sauces, grilled cheese, nachos, tacos. Tell me what you want and I'll give you a recipe.

badger
March 28th, 2007, 06:05 PM
If you like the taste of Indian food, try making some dal, which is like a thick puree (some people thin it to the consistency of soup but I like it thick) of pulses (split peas, mung beans, etc.), flavoured at the end with a few spices quickly cooked in a small amount of oil.
Full of protein, dal (with rice or chapati) is the mainstay of many a poor Asian's diet.

raingirl
March 29th, 2007, 09:03 AM
yeah. actually, indian food is probably the thing I ate the most this week!!! I had some coconut chicken with curried dal and some tikka masala veggies for three days!!

I can eat meat, that's ok. As long as its not with carbs. I verified with the dietician that chick peas and lentils are not considered "carbs" and are ok to eat with meat. yay!!

I have no idea who Marilu Henner is, but I guess it's a similar consept. My diet was designed for me, because they think I don't digest sugar or dairy well, and then just added the food combining into it.

I do feel a little more energetic, less lethargic, but more hungry and thirsty.

We don't have trader joes here and most health food stores are SUPER expensive (considering how much I spent so far...i am BROKE) so I have to go bare minimum. I like the rice milk I bought, and I am putting it on puffed kamut cereal (i hate cereal, but I try and get it down...)

I am not allowed to have anything sweet at all. No sugar, nothing. No fruits, no sugar, nothing sweetened, no sauces, nothing AT ALL. No juice either, unless it's vegetable juice. And no sweat/sugary veggies either, like potatoes, sweet potatos, parsnips, turnips, all squash, etc. Carrots are ok though.

It's not the sweets that are hard to cut out. I am ok with that. It's the sauces/marinades that are hard. I am not allowed any sugar or anything fermented, which means no salad dressings/dips/ketchup/soy sauce/vinegars...all the staples. i like meat, but i need FLAVOUR (i hate the taste of plain meat). I can't marinate in anything!!!

Last night I made a sesame dressing though with lemon juice, olive/flax/sesame oil, onion powder, and tahini. It was good. It works on coleslaw.

I am supposed to eat more fresh veggies but I can't seem to fit them in. I like salad, but I need a little something. I usually make my own vinagrettes with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, but now I can't!! I have no idea what to put on my salad!!

I haven't seen soy yogurt. I will look out for it. But I'm sure it will probably have sugar in it or fruit... but at least I could use it for sauces or to make tzatziki if I can find a plain/unflavoured kind.

I don't think that I will be doing the food combining forever. At least I hope not. I like meat sauce on pasta. I like meat lasagna. I like meat on my pizza...

I also won't do the dairy free forever. This is just a temp thing to evaluate how I digest food. It's kinda like an elimination diet that we do for our pets. After a while,things will be added in to see how I react to them.

joeysmama
March 29th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Can you eat fish? When I don't want to have sauces, butter or oils I like to put tilapia in parchment paper. I sprinkle some sea salt and some pepper and fresh ground dill on top. You could also slice a quick cooking vegetable like zucchini in there--just make sure it's not to thick cuz the fish cooks quickly.

It comes out juicy and yummy. This might be a good thing for you while you're not having marinades. You could do the same thing with a thinly sliced chicken breast.

And could you have a white sauce if it was made with unsweetened soy milk and soy margarine? Earth Balance is a good margarine, dairy free and no trans fats. Also Soy Garden is very good.

Amy's brand soups and frozen foods are good. But they aren't all dairy free. Some of them are though--you just have to read the package.

A great cookbook is Linda McCartney's cookbook "Linda's Kitchen" It's not dairy free but you could use soy milk or soy cheese.

And if you can have the other stuff in the pizza try my trick of taking the cheese to the pizza place. Can you have tomato sauce or no?

raingirl
March 29th, 2007, 11:21 AM
No tomatoes and no yeast bread either. So pizza is out unless I find a recipe for yeast free pizza dough. I *might* be able to have organic sourdough bread, not sure yet (gonna find out next week).

The tomato thing is minor though. They eliminated those because holistic practicioners believe that because tomatoes and peppers are in the deadly nightshade family, that they cause pain. because I have some chronic pain issues (from scoliosis of my spin) they eliminated them. But...i don't see it as a huge issue because I am not in pain a lot. So I have been eating a few tomato based things here and there.

I can eat fish but I don't like it a whole lot (never had fish in my life until i was 24 because everyone in my fam is allergic, so I had to get tested before I could eat it) so I find it really hard to eat (don't like the texture). I like fishsticks though and stuff like that, which i can eat. I think I will have to get some breaded fish sticks to eat on salad or something.

I am going to have to experiment with making a white sauce with soy milk. Does it separate at all?

joeysmama
March 29th, 2007, 12:01 PM
No it doesn't separate and it works great. I put a little soy margarine (about 3 Tablespoons) in a small saucepan and then, when it melts, I add in some flour and stir it with a whisk. It gets thick. Then I add soy milk a little at a time and keep whisking.

Are pasta products out? There are some good rice pastas. I like bi-fun noodles. They're gluten free and taste like angel hair pasta. But they are very expensive.

I have a friend who has a lot of relatives who have celiac sprue. They can't have anything with wheat gluten, so she has a lot of recipes that you might be able to use. I'm going to ask her about the pizza crust and see if she has a yeast free version.

Oh I have some dumpling recipes that use won ton wrappers. One has black beans, another has squash and one is made with potatoes. Are these ok for you? They're really yummy !:)

joeysmama
March 29th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I posted this question on the boards where I work and got a few recipes and a web site. I'll try to copy them here. I hope this works !:fingerscr

Try this:
http://www.allergygrocery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=AG&Screen=SRCH&Search=xyea+pizza%20crust
I have heard her own brand of mixes is quite good.

--------------------

Here are the one's from Bob's Red Mill.
I was looking stuff up yesterday on their site and had seen these. Good Luck!!!
Thick Yeast-Free & Gluten-Free Pizza Crust

Ingredients:
1 cup Potato Starch
1/2 cup Cornstarch
1/2 cup Tapioca Flour
1/2 cup Milk Powder (Non-Fat Dry)
1 Tb Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
2 Tb Vegetable Shortening
3/4 cup Water

Preheat over to 400. Grease 2 cookie sheets or 2 pizze pans, set aside.

In a mixing bowl, place the flours, milk, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening, rubbing with the fingers until it feels like cornmeal. Pour in water and stir until dough clings together in a ball. Work with hands, kneading dough until smooth. Form into 2 balls.

Place each ball on the center of prepared pans and cover each with plastic, press out into a 10 inch circle about 1/4 inch thick except at the edges, which should be about 1/2 inch thick to contain the sauce and fillings. Repeat with the second ball. Fill with desired sauce and toppings. Bake 20 to 22 minutes.

Yield: 2 pizza crusts 10

Pizza Crust - Gluten & Yeast Free

Ingredients:
1/2 cup Garbanzo Bean Flour
1/2 cup Tapioca Flour
1 tsp Sugar or Honey
1 tsp Xanthan Gum
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/4 tsp Unflavored Gelatin Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Crushed Rosemary
1/2 tsp Italian Herb Blend
1 Large Egg or Equivalent of Frozen Egg Replacement
1/2 cup Milk (cow, rice, soy or nut)
1 Tb Olive Oil

Preheat oven to 400F. Spray pan with cooking spray, using a 13" x 9" nonstick baking sheet or 12" nonstick pizza pan for a thin, crispy crust or an 11" x 7" nonstick pan or a 10" cast iron skillet for a deep-dish crust.

In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix with electric mixer (using regular beaters) for 2 minutes. Batter will be like soft cookie dough and very sticky.

Spread batter in prepared pan, using a wet spatula to smooth the dough and push it up to, but not touching, the outer edges of pan. Make a little ridge around the edge to contain the pizza sauce and toppings.

Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, top with toppings, and bake another 10-15 minutes or until browned to taste. If using eggs, the batter will rise and fall during baking.

Yield: 4 servings

Focaccia Bread - Gluten & Yeast Free

Ingredients:
1 cup White Rice Flour
2/3 cup Potato Starch
1/3 cup Tapioca Flour
2 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Xanthan Gum
3/4 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Unflavored Gelatin Powder
1 tsp Baking Powder
1-1/4 tsp Baking Soda
3/4 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Crushed Rosemary
2 Large Eggs
1 cup Milk (cow, rice, soy or nut)
2 Tb Olive Oil
Topping:
1-1/2 tsp Italian Herb Blend
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1 Tb Olive Oil
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese (cow, rice or soy)

Preheat oven to 375F. Coat an 11" x 17", two 8" round, or one 13" x 9" nonstick baking pan with cooking spray. (Use the 11" x 17" pan or 8" pans for thicker bread that can be sliced horizontally for sandwiches. Use the
13" x 9" pan for thinner bread that can serve as a pizza crust.)

Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. With electric mixer on low, add eggs, milk, and oil to bowl and blend on medium speed for 2 minutes. Dough will be soft and sticky. Use spatula dipped in cold water to spread batter in pan. Sprinkle or spray with olive oil and sprinkle with italian herb seasoning and salt.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until top is well browned. Dust with parmesan cheese.

Yield: 8 servings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prin
March 30th, 2007, 08:02 PM
No veggie advice from me, but :grouphug:'s because this must not be easy. I hope it works for you.