Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Today i was the recall food police!

RolandsMom
March 26th, 2007, 06:16 PM
hehe. so i went around today with a copy of the Menu foods letter stating they have called a recall of all their meat n gravy products, not just the dated one and a list of the foods. i went to Co-Op, Safeway, Walmart, Petland and Superstore.
Im glad to say most of them have all the products removed. Co-Op were the only ones who still had some of the Iams Dog chunks in gravy. when i spoke to the pruduct manager he told me that they took all the correct dated ones off that Menu foods recalled so i showed him the page off the internet that stated all dates of those were recalled and he said he would take them off and talk to head office.
Good to know that they are paying attention. i have to say i was a little shy about confronting them specially when they asked who i was. i told them im a concerned consumer. they thought i was with Menu foods.
well see, so one person can make a difference.

Scary
March 26th, 2007, 06:31 PM
BRAVO RolandsMom!!

Well done! I just finished posting elsewhere that I'm doing the same thing tonight, handing that out to a couple of stores I'll be near that sell ANY pet food... will keep a few copies in my car for spreading the word as the week progresses.

One person CAN make a difference, and we can't change the situation but together we CAN help educate as many people as possible! :highfive:

(And :fingerscr for my :cat: Luna, who's getting blood and urine tests tomorrow... her twice a month wet treat food (Nutro pouches) was on the list and she got it all winter... :sad: So far no major symptoms so :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr )
~Scary

RolandsMom
March 26th, 2007, 06:34 PM
oh Scary, thats scary. i was feeding Roland only Neutros dry food luckily (i changed to solid Gold before the scare). i had decided not to give him any wet food for a while and see how he goes. im kind of glad of my choice now cause i may well have given him Neutro for a bit!
:fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :fingerscr :fingerscr that Lunas Fine. keep us posted!

Dracko
March 26th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I was just in a local pet store to pick up cat litter. I was shocked to see the recalled cans were sitting on the floor in boxes (not closed) with a lame sign saying "Not for Sale." If someone grabbed some I guarantee the cashier up front who was about 18 and scared of his own shadow wouldn't have known and probably would have rung them through. :mad:

It was also very scary to see the Nutros cutlets I buy for my one cat who won't eat Innova canned food sitting in that pile. :eek:

rainbow
March 26th, 2007, 06:52 PM
A Big thumbs up to Rolands Mom and Scary. :thumbs up

Scary
March 27th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Hi again,

First, thanks for the ongoing support from you all regarding my cat Luna :grouphug: I'm trying to stay positive as she's not acting ill (though I do now remember she was throwing up occasionally this winter, not common for her and I wonder if that's related... sadly no way to know for sure.) I'll post tomorrow, after this afternoon's tests. :fingerscr
I also fed her Nutro kibble until last week, and just happened to switch her to Innova EVO as its a better food and to see if it will help her lose her extra 2 pounds. I'll be trying EVO's wet for her treats as of this week if that goes with my vet's recommendations...

Second, I was MORTIFIED at the response I got at the Oakville Wal-mart last night! :mad: I boycott Wal-mart (for other reasons), but went in and saw at least 2 recalled products still on the shelves. THREE different customer service representatives told me "oh yeah, management's been through it all, don't worry" an OBVIOUSLY programmed response. When I brought a recalled can and to management with the latest press release and my firm but friendly concern, I was told "oh ok, we'll look again" with a blank stare.
The lesson? BUYER BEWARE. :mad:
Let's keep spreading the latest news everyone... we may be the only ones doing it! :eek:
~Scary

One Beagle Girl
March 27th, 2007, 11:52 AM
:thumbs up Rollands Mom and Scary!! I'm happy there are people like you out there looking out for the little guys :cat: :dog: !!!!!

:goodvibes:

MamaSue
March 27th, 2007, 07:40 PM
:thumbs up We really do need to be proactive and speak out about this, and not just assume that all of the store managers are informed with all information and new updates, when there are recalls.

A friend of mine did the same thing you did, in San Diego. She found several of the recall items still on the shelves. This was several days ago, just after the list was published, and some of the managers did not even know about the recall, yet. She did print out the lists and gave them the URL for the recall information. Thankfully they did listen to her, without exception, and did remove the products immediately.

Prin
March 28th, 2007, 08:43 PM
:highfive: Rolands mom, good job.:) Savin' pets all over the city! :highfive:

RolandsMom
March 28th, 2007, 08:50 PM
lol. thanks. it took some courage i have to say. im not at all a confrontational person. i went red!! hehe. all worth its.

Prin
March 28th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Yeah, not too many people can do it without sweating a little. :grouphug:

Scary
March 29th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I hear that about the sweating, I did! Though I got past the confrontational part by thinking that 2 minutes of my discomfort is more than worth the idea of a needlessly ill pet, especially due to such a large company's ignorance, thoughtlessness or greed over a few cans worth of $$$.

You're such great people on this board I've no doubt you all agree, whether or not you've been able to do the same. :)