Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat-friendly ways to get rid of ants?

LM1313
March 26th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Does anyone know any methods of getting rid of / discouraging ants that aren't hazardous to cats? I'm afraid if I use poison, the cats will eat poisoned ants. :(

Winston
March 26th, 2007, 02:21 PM
What about some boiling water! for the ants and not the kitty's!

:laughing: :laughing:

Cindy

LM1313
March 26th, 2007, 03:23 PM
LOL . . . with little signs saying, "Ants, go this way" and a little diving board over the pot? :laughing:

jessi76
March 26th, 2007, 03:45 PM
where are the ants?

I've used vinegar, spray where the ants are traveling. this fades though, and needs to be repeated. (you can also do a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and water)

spices work well too - bay leaves, cinnamon, pepper, mint (peppermint, spearmint), cloves...

chalk - one theory is that ants won't cross a chalk line.

LM1313
March 26th, 2007, 05:56 PM
They're in the bathroom and the kitchen. I put the cat's food dish in a shallow bucket lid and filled the lid with water so the ants can't get to it.

Apple cider vinegar, eh? It just so happens I have a HUGE bottle of that . . . :evil:

RolandsMom
March 26th, 2007, 06:10 PM
the chalk thing i think is true. i used to put a solid line of baby powder around the cats bowls. they dont like that at all!!!!

LavenderRott
March 26th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Cockroachs! :eek: :D

When I lived on Guam, I was told that cockroaches and ants didn't cohabitate well, and I just needed to decide which l liked better! :D

I wasn't fond of either, so I let the local anoles move in. :D

Stacer
March 26th, 2007, 06:50 PM
We've got an ant problem as well, and I was concerned for my cats so I found something called diatomaceous earth. You may not want to use it right next to the cat dishes, but it's not a chemical and will kill the ants. Essentially diatomaceous earth is a dust made up of sharp microscopic particles called diatoms which kill insects by cutting them internally and externally and drying them out. The dust is essentially harmless to humans and animals, but I've kept it out of direct contact with my cats just in case, but I've sprinkled it pretty much everywhere that they can't get at directly. Raid makes Earthblends ant and earwig dust, it works really well, I got it at Canadian Tire. I'm sure you can get other brands though. I also sealed up every crack and crevice in my apartment with caulking so the ants couldn't get in, it's worked to some degree.

cpietra16
March 26th, 2007, 07:00 PM
diatomaceous earth is a dust made up of sharp microscopic particles called diatoms which kill insects by cutting them internally and externally and drying them out. .

I think I would go with the baby powder...:D the above description seems a little too painfull and:yuck: I don't like ants but I would not want to see them cut up and dried:yuck: :yuck:

krdahmer
March 26th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I use a fine line of Borax detergent along the outside foundation...only about a centimeter wide. (Works for ants AND centipedes- ew I get the willies just typing about those buggers.) And indoors I spray an ant killer called Insect-i-gone. You just spray it all along the baseboards, under the fridge and along window sills. It dries fast and I have never had any of the cats even get curious about it. It helps I guess that it is in a squirt bottle so they all run and hide while I'm doing it.

It's not the most organic route and not completely safe (cats could get ill if they regularly lick the baseboards) but I have not had any ants in 3 years now since using the combo. :goodvibes:

pls3775
March 26th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Frontline spray --- works great, doesn't affect mammals. Actually, it's cheaper to just get ant traps with it in there, the ingredient is "fipronil". Honestly, we just get pest treatments done quarterly, and let them know we have cats and children so they only use what's safe.