Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Taking cats on walks

Colubridz
March 26th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I'm hoping now that the weather is warming back up to start taking our overweight cat and normalweight cat outdoors once a day for some fresh air on a harness and have a few questions.

First what type of flea prevention is best? I have seen everything from flea collars which they wear when outside to flea spot ons that you give three times at one month intervals. Also what vaccines should they have and will they need heartworm prevention medication as well?

Next how safe and trustworthy are harnesses? They would be going out on one with a lesh to prevent escape however has anyone ever heard of them wrigling out of them? Our cats are completely indoor cats and as such are not microchipped and do not wear collars. Should I buy them hemp collars and attach tags for when we do go outside just incase?

Lastly I have seen people in my area actually walking their cat down the street. I'd love to be able to walk them at the same time as I walk Duke ( except for much shorter periods of time at first as they are relatively unactive) but am unsure of how to get them to do this.

Thanks
Kayla

LM1313
March 26th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I would definitely get them microchipped and have them wearing a collar, just in case. My guys have never slipped out of their harnesses, but they've never given it a thorough try. Be sure to get them used to the harnesses way in advance of going outside. :)

clm
March 26th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I had what I thought were 2 very good leather harnesses for my cats. They were both over 5 years old, outside for the first time. A train went by, they both snapped the clips on the harnesses and headed right back into the house (I had left the door open to make them feel more secure). They never went back out again. I stood there in shock looking at the leashes with the broken harness clips that the cats had snapped in lightening speed. They spend the rest of their 18 years sitting in windows looking out feeling quite safe.
Be careful, if something spooks them, they're little packs of dynamite.

Cindy

krdahmer
March 26th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Ditto on the microchip and collar... my guys have also broken what I thought to be good harnesses when spooked (actually I think most harnesses are made to give way and break under a certain amount of strain to avoid injury to the cat ie. dangling from a tree or fence). And make sure you are there to watch. I've been looking into outdoor runs for mine, they have some pretty elaborate ones available for cats now. Kittywalk system has some cool ideas. I know my guys certainly have spring fever...:rolleyes: