Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Beagle help please!!

zedmom
April 6th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Hi! My hubby just brought home a beagle cross (don't know what he's mixed with) & so far, he seems great. He's a year old and is somewhat trained and is doing great with our family.

Problem is, hubby basically got the dog to travel with him on the road. He works in the oilfield and so was planning on having "Winston" travel with him, and then when hubby was working on site, just letting the dog run free and play 'til they were done for the day.

Since he's been home though, I've been doing more internet research which basically says that Beagles need to be kept on a leash otherwise they take off following squirrels, birds or whatever. So now my hubby is upset that maybe he won't be able to take him on the road.

I'm hoping though that since he's a cross, that Winston just taking off won't necessarily be the case.

Does anyone have any experience with Beagles or Beagle cross that they might be able to provide some help?

Any insight would be most appreciated!!!!!

Thanks!!

Luba
April 6th, 2004, 07:36 PM
You'll never catch the dog if you let him off a leash!

Nobody did their homework here I see! :(

Beagles ARE hunting dogs that go by scent...they follow their scent until they find what they smell ...they will go for hours!!

Never let a beagle off leash! EVER!!

zedmom
April 6th, 2004, 07:50 PM
doesn't that make some sort of difference??

Luba
April 6th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Depends.... whats he crossed with another hound breed?

What if he has the hound traits for scent! They usually do!

LavenderRott
April 6th, 2004, 08:03 PM
It has taken a year and Missy now heads straight for the car if she sneaks out of the house with you.

If your husband takes the time to put this dog in a class, you might be able to overcome the beagle instinct.

First rule of thumb - NEVER and I mean NEVER use the word come if you are not in a position to make the dog come!!!!!!! Every time you say come and the dog doesn't you are teaching the dog that it is ok to go the other way!

You can, get a 30 foot lunge line at a feed store or someplace that sells horse gear and use that instead of a leash. This will give the dog some room to run and you are still able to make the dog come.

zedmom
April 6th, 2004, 08:35 PM
do you ever take your Beagle Cross out for a run in the park without a leash?? -- or have you ever tried going out with a leash?

Also, could you give me a bit more info, advice, suggestions that you might find helpful?

thanks so much!!

Missy
April 6th, 2004, 09:11 PM
I also have a beagle-cross with terrier and border collie (or at least that is what I think are the most dominant breeds in her) and since she is only a puppy, I have only had the chance to let her off-leash a few times. She is fairly insecure so she tends to stick close to me or at least not stray too far without keeping tabs on where I am.

She is food-crazy and so I always have been able to lure her back with cookies if she goes too far and I made sure she knew the 'come' command before I tried. This is very important! I also started in a fairly remote area where I knew I could keep up with her if she started to take off (just to be safe)

If your dog responds to food and/or toys, that could be one way that you could try to train her to keep close. Like was already said, it probably depends on what she is mixed with. You have no idea? Perhaps you could post a picture and we could all try and guess :)

woodbyter
April 6th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Beagles are made to run and track. Thinking he is going to be so in love with hubby's work site he won't take off is sheer dumbness (pardon me but it is). Plus a dog in an oil field is not a safe environment for the dog.
I've seen people take dogs to construction sites and often the dogs are run over by trucks. They sleep under them to get in the shade - truck starts up - dead dog...
I do not suggest taking dogs to work site anymore than cats.
It is not a NATURAL OR SAFE PLACE FOR THEM.
I didn't take my dog to sit by the lecture table. We would see each other at night.
????????????I guess I miss the point of companionship while I'm earning a living..

Luba
April 6th, 2004, 09:24 PM
I think you are going to have to identify which breed is dominant with your dog!

A training lead which is longer is the best way to learn.

I completey agree with LavR and you should never use come unless you get the dog to come to you.

Training lead and treats and praise!!

But don't expect the dog to go against its natural instinct to run and take scent.

I agree with woodb regarding the taking the dog to work, if tis' a dangerous area then I would reconsider...trucks going back and forth and such.. Plus how far away would it be from the nearest vet should the dog need treatment?

LavenderRott
April 6th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Sorry, Missy is never allowed outside of leash. She has snuck out the door a couple of times but she loves to go for a ride, so opening the car door catches her in mid stride. I doubt that would work if she got some fresh bunny scent in her nose though.

My rottweiler is 10 and she doesn't go out of the yard off lead either. Only on rare occasions in controlled conditions.

However, IMO, if your husband wants to put the dog on a lunge line and take it to work, that is his business. Chase has gone to work with me. When I worked at the horse farm, she went all the time and she was smart enough to stay out from under hooves and tractors. She went to work with me twice when I was managing my gas stations.

My best advice would be to find a dog training class near you and enroll. You will learn sooo much.

amaruq
April 7th, 2004, 09:11 AM
I have 3 dogs. ! I can't let off the leash as she will run after cars. That is the Dalmatian.
I have a Dalmation cross border collie. She takes after the border side and will not leave my side until the others get out of her comfort zone and will herd them back in. She totally takes the BC side...has physical aspects of the Dal.
Goldy we don't know what she is but she is pure sweetie pie.

If you are unsure I would use the leash. I agree a construction site is no place for a dog. Remember not everyone loves dogs too.

deerclan
April 7th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Never had any problems with any of my GSHP off lead, you can use this method to train them for off lead. ( 1 ) Using a lead about 10 feet long in your back yard and no distractions attach the lead using the word COME slowly pull your dog towards you and say STOP tell he or she to SIT (2) then praise your dog.(3) Then say STAY and walk away if he or she walks away from you grab the dog and in a stern voice say STAY, and repeat ( 1,2,3 ) If your dog shows any resistance when you pull them towards you donít be afraid to pull them. Keep repeating this until you get no more resistance from your dog.

Now you move on to throwing in a few distractions another dog or kids playing near by and still using your lead repeat ( 1,2,3 ) keep repeating this until again the dog shows no resistance and is not bothered by the distractions.

Okay now your ready to let your dog off the lead in your backyard NO DISTRACTIONS repeat ( 1,2,3 ) without your lead, remember to praise when the dog is being good and obeying your commands, If he or she starts to not obey than go back to you using your lead again until they obey, Now throw in your distractions and without using your lead repeat ( 1,2,3 ) keep repeating until your dog and you are confident enough to go off lead

This method will also show who is the Alpha, I have personally used this method successfully with 4 of my GSHP I have owned over the years this not for walking off leash it is only used when you are in a stationed position allowing your dog to move freely around you while you watch, play or work

Equipment needed : 1 metal prong collar or K9 leather prong collar, 1 lead 10 feet long

LavenderRott
April 7th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Hate to disagree, and don't generally like to argue, but I would NEVER use a prong collar in the manner you are suggesting. I would never suggest that someone with no experience put one on a dog at all.

Don't get me wrong, I own two dogs and two prong collars. The collars get plenty of use. But in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they are doing, these collars are just as dangerous as any other collar.

mona_b
April 7th, 2004, 06:29 PM
say STAY and walk away if he or she walks away from you grab the dog and in a stern voice say STAY.

Sorry,I would have put it under the quote thingy,but still trying to figure it out.LOL

Sorry,but I don't agree with that one.

If a dog breaks command,you re-direct the command again.

What I mean by that is if you give the "sit" "stay",and the dog starts to walk from that,walk the dog back to the "sit" "stay"

Also,do this in the "heel"position.The dog sits,you give the stay command and place your hand in front of the dog with the "stay"

Sorry,but never "grab" your dog.You re-direct him?her so he/she knows what she did was wrong.

This is how I trained Yukon and Tron.And they are both GSD's.And no prong collar was ever used.

And I have to agree agree with Sandi about the prong.It is not needed in this situation.And it should not be used if you don't know how to use it.

deerclan
April 7th, 2004, 06:31 PM
LavenderRott your right i should of put more thought into the fact that the person training the dog might not be as Experienced when using certain training equipment.

DeerClan

Spoiled
April 7th, 2004, 06:45 PM
A prong collar to pull a dog toward you? I really don't think this is a safe way to train a dog, even if you are experienced. I suppose if the dog would come to you with only a small tug on the leash, that would be different.

It really depends on what personality your dog has when you decide you are going to let him off leash. My dog, a poodle X, will stick close by my side, within ten meters at the most. He wants to stay with mom:D and I'm always letting him off leash because of this. I also trained him early how to come on command, by gently tugging on the leash as I called him to come to me. He got it after two tries.

deerclan
April 7th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Mona what works for me may not work for you when training ! You can use the wording re-direct or even restrain, command words should always be one word wether it be stop,go,heel or even whoa as long as its a one word command

Yes and my pick for equipment to use should have been different

mona_b
April 7th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Yes it is a one word commands that you useRe-direct is not a command though..But what I mean by re-direct is once the dog moves from that command,walk the dog then do the command again.That is what I mean by re-directing.

My boys are 8.Training stopped years ago.:D

deerclan
April 8th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Thats where you and I differ Mona when training, i kept training even when my dogs got older,I would put them through a couple of easy drills just to keep the dog sharp.

mona_b
April 8th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Oh trust me,my boys are still very sharp..

They know exactly what I want them to do without saying a word.

And Tron still thinks he is on the force.His nose is always to the ground.Tron needed to go every year for evaluation.That was mandatory for the dogs.