Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question on Orijen

KimandAutumn
March 26th, 2007, 10:48 AM
My friend has an adult lab and switched to Orijen from DVP. The dog has no known allergies but had intermittant loose stools. Recent fecal was negative for parasites.

On DVP the dog would poop 2x per day. On Orijen while the poops are great, probably first time the dog ever had a firm poop he now poops 3-4 times per day.

Is this normal on a high protein/low carb diet?

Goldens4Ever
March 26th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I'm not sure about that is 'normal.' Our two poop 3 times per day: Morning, Afternoon, & Evening. Because we are home all day, their internal poop clocks are accustomed to pooping 3 times per day, so each poop session is fairly small. But if they were cooped up for 8-9 hours each day, then they would only poop 2 times per day & the stools would be larger. So, my question is this: has this family's daily schedule changed, making it an option to poop more often? Is the dog eating more of the Orijen than what he was fed on the DVP? :shrug:

It my understanding that low-carb/grain-free diets should reduce the amount of stool production. As far as the higher protein creating larger stools.....someone else will know the answer to that.

SuperWanda
March 26th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Hi - both my dogs have been on Orijen for about 7 months. At first when I switched over I thought that they were pooping more frequently as well but now my one goes about 1 or 2X a day and the other dog seems to go a little more 2-3X a day. They have always metabolized their food differently. It also depends on the amount of exercise they have. It all seems normal to me but I'm sure ever dog is different.

Maybe give some time to adjust to the change?

mafiaprincess
March 26th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Cider stress poops and activity poops.. So while the volume is less on half Orijen half TO.. We poop more times than many dogs do.

~michelle~
March 26th, 2007, 09:08 PM
my boys have really firm poops on evo. i asked about it too, its ok, so long as there isnt alot of strain, or signs of constipation.

Bentley'sMom
March 26th, 2007, 09:38 PM
My six year old golden retriever has been on high protein no grain kibble for two months. The first four weeks I fed him Timberwolf Wild and Natural and then switched to Orijen. He poops two to three times a day (firm and little odor); but if I weren't home during the day I think he might poop just twice a day.

I plan to continue with feeding him Orijen. He did well on the Timberwolf, but I like the fact that Orijen buys regional ingredients and makes the kibble themselves at their own plant. They seem very forthcoming about their product and I like the ingredients. Bentley's overall health is so much better than when I used to feed Nutro Lamb and Rice. No more itching or hot spots or yeasty ears; and his fur is thick and shiny. I just don't think that grains agreed with him. I hope all goes well with your Orijen feeding. I think you just need to give it some time as long as everything else seems to be going well.

worrier
March 26th, 2007, 09:57 PM
My six year old golden retriever has been on high protein no grain kibble for two months. The first four weeks I fed him Timberwolf Wild and Natural and then switched to Orijen. He poops two to three times a day (firm and little odor); but if I weren't home during the day I think he might poop just twice a day.

I plan to continue with feeding him Orijen. He did well on the Timberwolf, but I like the fact that Orijen buys regional ingredients and makes the kibble themselves at their own plant. They seem very forthcoming about their product and I like the ingredients. Bentley's overall health is so much better than when I used to feed Nutro Lamb and Rice. No more itching or hot spots or yeasty ears; and his fur is thick and shiny. I just don't think that grains agreed with him. I hope all goes well with your Orijen feeding. I think you just need to give it some time as long as everything else seems to be going well.

:offtopic: have you noticed any differences between the TO and Orijen?

Bentley'sMom
March 26th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Worrier:

Hard to say about any true differences between the TO Wild & Nautral versus the Orijen since Bentley was on the TO for only 4 weeks and now the Orijen for just 4 weeks. That said, he showed great enthusiasm for both brands. His energy level is equal. He does seem to be bothered less with stiffness in his back legs while on the Orijen which has glucosamine and chondroitin in it. TO does not. I personally like the fact that the first fat listed in Orijen is number 6 in importance as opposed to TO having fat as the 3rd most important ingredient.

I'll keep Bentley on Orijen for the next few months and hope all continues to go well. I would still be open to putting him back on TO Wild and Natural for a rotational switch if I felt he needed it.

Prin
March 28th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Boo drops a couple big loads day and Jemma has several small ones... Depends on the dog really... :o