Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

whining puppy

Jenn7788
March 26th, 2007, 08:15 AM
I just brought home a new puppy who is 12 weeks old and I have not slept in 2 days. I have him "penned" off in the kitchen and trying to crate him. The problem is he does not stop barking and whining ALL night long. I have been ignoring him but he just keeps going and going. I am desperate. I live in an apartment and cannot have him yelping all day and night. Can anyone help me??

jessi76
March 26th, 2007, 08:32 AM
mostly likely because he is in the kitchen. Puppies need security. Try crating him in YOUR bedroom, and even put the crate next to your bed so you can reach out and put a finger in to calm him if need be. He should do much better close to you. this way you'll be able to take him out if he needs to go out in the middle of the night.

Loves Labs
March 26th, 2007, 08:46 AM
You could also try putting a "ticking" alarm clock in the crate with him...in addition to having the crate in your room. Tuck it under some blankets so it doesn't turn into a chew toy though.

This is supposedly done to simulate their mother's heartbeat. I don't know if this is true - and your pup is definitely old enough to be away from mom - but it is worth a try. It has definitely worked for us in the past.

Good luck! And we'd love to see some pictures of your pup!

Tazette
March 26th, 2007, 12:31 PM
We had this problem when we just got Sprocket, we too had him penned off in the kitchen (not in a kennel though) and he hated it, he just wanted to be with his "pack", he learned to jump any barrier we put up to be with us. I kick myself in the butt for not kennel training him earlier, because now he just toerates his kennel..

I agree with Jessi76 (I wish we crated Sprocket from the beginning), once we put a dog bed on the floor in our bedroom and let him know it was his, when it came time for bed he'd go right to his bed and sleep through the night. If you're putting your dog in a kennel througout the night, bring it into the room, you may want to put a blanket over it so he feels secure, if he starts whining, just tap the top of the kennel, but don't say anything, eventually he should stop whining, and the fact he's close to you should make a difference.

t.pettet
March 26th, 2007, 07:54 PM
You've been to the vet to rule out any medical problems? He's still a 'baby' has been with his littermates or mother until now and needs reassurance, love and empathy just like a human baby, not to be isolated and alone, so treat him as you would a human infant and move his crate to your room within arms length and you can reassure him that he's cared for and not alone.

TeriM
March 27th, 2007, 01:55 AM
I agree with the others :thumbs up .

rainbow
March 27th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I also agree. Put his crate beside your bed so he can be with you. :)