Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I Think Penny Has A Problem With Canidae

luckypenny
March 25th, 2007, 09:06 PM
About a month ago, I switched foods from Medi-Cal Development to Canidae All Life Stages for Penny. Approx. 2 weeks ago, I noticed that she was shedding excessively. She now has extremely little hair around her neck, on her shoulders, and on her haunches. Her skin and fur is extremely dry as well and she's begun to scratch (which she's never done before). I was wondering if she was having some sort of allergy reaction. There have been no changes in her environment at all other than the food switch. I've tried to find the ingredients in Medi-Cal so that I can compare it to Canidae to see if there's something new that she's eating but there is not an accurate list of ingredients on their website.

I'll be making an appointment for her at our vets but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas? or had a similar experience?

Lucky, on the other hand is doing well on the Canidae; his coat is awesome soft and he's shedding much less.

Frenchy
March 25th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I know Bailey has chicken and corn allergies. It could be seasonnal allergies too, as soon as it get higher than the freezing point , the allergies are on and Bailey has to be on Vanectyl. Wich I just realize why I found clumps of fur this week end... really have to go buy Vanectyl this week. :frustrated:

luckypenny
March 25th, 2007, 09:21 PM
There's corn in Medi-Cal, but not in Canidae...and there's chicken in both. I thought she's do as well as Lucky :sad: . Her stool's normal although she does go about 4-5 times a day. Seasonal allergies?? Poor Bailey.

~michelle~
March 25th, 2007, 09:26 PM
have thew vet check for thyroid,
braxton's tummy went bald last summer it was from food allergies we believe, we switched off the food to something with no chicken or corn and he is doing much better.
could also be seasonal allergies.
common food allergies are chicken, corn, wheat and soy

coppperbelle
March 25th, 2007, 09:28 PM
I switched to Canidae a few months ago and both my dogs have beautiful coats. Shedding was minimal until this weekend. Hunter is beginning to shed his winter coat I guess. This is not to say that all dogs will do well on it.
I checked the ingredients in the Medi Cal and there are lots of ingredients that dogs can be allergic to. One thing I did notice was the flax seed was high on the ingredient list of the Canidae. Hunter is really bothered by flax when given separately but in the food it doesn't bother him. Maybe it is what is bothering Penny.
I think it is a good idea to have the vet rule out any physical problems like an infection.

Jessicagmz
March 25th, 2007, 09:44 PM
My dogs eat Canidae Lamb and rice (no chicken or other meat sources) and their coats have amazed me.

Here is Bobbi yesterday (forgot to reset my camera's date). My cat eats Felidae and his coat is silky soft too :thumbs up

Frenchy
March 25th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Seasonal allergies?? Poor Bailey.

Yes , Bailey has chicken, corn and seasonnal allergies + he's heartworm positive .... :yell: I think it's Penny first spring with you ? So it could be seasonnal ?

luckypenny
March 25th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I'll try to get to see our vet tomorrow. Lucky may need a colonoscopy (different reasons) so I'll have him look at her as well.

When I fed Penny the Medi-Cal, I added organic flaxseed oil to her food and it didn't bother her. Really odd :confused: . Other than all the fillers in Medi-Cal, I don't see too much of a difference with the other ingredients. I was kind of hoping it was just some particular ingredient...two sick doggies :yell: deep beath

luckypenny
March 25th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Yes , Bailey has chicken, corn and seasonnal allergies + he's heartworm positive .... :yell: I think it's Penny first spring with you ? So it could be seasonnal ?

It is Penny's first Spring. How would I know that it was seasonal? Is there a test that the vet could do?

luckypenny
March 25th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I checked the ingredients in the Medi Cal and there are lots of ingredients that dogs can be allergic to.... I think it is a good idea to have the vet rule out any physical problems like an infection.

Yeah, that's what I can't figure out. She never had a reaction on the Medi-Cal just lots and lots of poop! Off to the vet's again...

rainbow
March 25th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Sorry to hear about Penny. I used to have a brochure for Medi-Cal that listed the ingredients but must have misplaced it. Pick up one when you're at the vets and check the ingredients.

Canidae is a great food and glad to hear that Lucky is doing well on it but it's always nice to be able to feed both dogs the same food. Both foods have chicken so there's lots of other options. I would try Innova, Natural Balance or Go Natural.

worrier
March 25th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I switched to Canidae a few months ago and both my dogs have beautiful coats. Shedding was minimal until this weekend. Hunter is beginning to shed his winter coat I guess. This is not to say that all dogs will do well on it.
I checked the ingredients in the Medi Cal and there are lots of ingredients that dogs can be allergic to. One thing I did notice was the flax seed was high on the ingredient list of the Canidae. Hunter is really bothered by flax when given separately but in the food it doesn't bother him. Maybe it is what is bothering Penny.
I think it is a good idea to have the vet rule out any physical problems like an infection.

What is the nature of the flax allergy?

I just started switching my guy over to Canidae L&R from Wellness and he immediately developed his ear allergy again. I though it was just corn he was allergic to, but after looking over the ingredients again I think it may be flax as well. Flax seed is very high up on the Canidae ingredients but pretty low down on the Wellness ingredients, so that may explain why he was getting some reactions with Wellness but very rarely and pretty mild.

Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing yet if it is the Canidae that is causing it or the few licks of creamed corn my nephew unwittingly gave him 2 days ago. :shrug: I think I will continue feeding him 1/2 Wellness, 1/2 Canidae until I see it either persisting or clearing up, that way I can continue the switch without starting it all over again if it was in fact the creamed corn. :pawprint:

coppperbelle
March 26th, 2007, 06:10 AM
I don't think they are actually allergic to the flax, it just makes them scratch. When I was giving HUnter flax capsules he would begin scratching after a day. When I stopped the scratching stopped immediately. When added to dog food it usually doesn't bother them because there isn't enough in it, on it's own it is different.
Testing for thyroid problems is a good idea. When Chloe began having problems with hers she lost all the fur on her stomach.

worrier
March 26th, 2007, 06:16 AM
I don't think they are actually allergic to the flax, it just makes them scratch. When I was giving HUnter flax capsules he would begin scratching after a day. When I stopped the scratching stopped immediately. When added to dog food it usually doesn't bother them because there isn't enough in it, on it's own it is different.
Testing for thyroid problems is a good idea. When Chloe began having problems with hers she lost all the fur on her stomach.

nothing with his fur, just his ears :shrug: poor little feller, it drives me crazy to hear his ears popping when he shakes his head, I can only imagine how loud it is for him :sad:

luckypenny
March 26th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Ok, I called the vet and she seems to think that it is either a food allergy or that Penny is just not digesting the Canidae properly and that I should just switch her back to the Medi-Cal since she was doing good on it. (She had a full check up 2 weeks ago and everything else with her is fine. She did have dry skin but no infection, just dandruff). There is absolutely no change in her behavior; she is energetic and acting normally.

I went to food store and the owner recommended I continue with the Canidae since there is nothing in it that Penny has not eaten before (Medi-Cal), but without the fillers and stool hardeners. Since she has lost 3 lbs in the past two weeks, the owner agrees that Penny is not absorbing the food either. She suggested that I add to her diet:

1. Solid Gold Seameal Mineral and Vitamin Supplement (1/2 tsp 2x day)

"Solid Gold Seameal contains 60 trace minerals, 12 vitamins, 22 amino acids, digestive enzymes, and flaxseed meal. It is excellent for animals with allergy problems and/or skin and coat problems. When Seameal is added to food, it increases the digestibility of the food. It is made with 19 different species of sea vegetation, an excellent source of nutrients. The addition of seaweed and kelp to an animal's diet can produce many great benefits. SeaMeal can help boost the immune, hormone, and enzyme systems of the body, restore lost hair growth, intensify coat color, and boost the immune system.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Protein, Min. 9%
Fat, Min. 10%
Fiber, Max. 13%
Moisture, Max. 12.2%

Ingredients:
Dried Seaweed Meal, Flaxseed Meal, Dehydrated Lemon Powder, Carotene, Chlorophyll, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Dried Asparagus Oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Asperigillus Niger Fermentation Product, Pineapple, Lactose"

2. Protein Source such as Chlorella (1/4 tsp 2x day)

http://www.newrootsherbal.com/pages/product_detail.php?prod_class=34&prod_recipe=P35A

3. Plant enzyme formula (digestive enzymes) I bought Renew Life DigestMore http://www.renewlife.ca/pdfs/product/pdf1_product_43_DigestMORE%20PK%20Sheet.pdf

4. 1 tsp flaxseed oil per meal 2x day

5. Probiotics 1x day (which is what I've already been giving her)

It would seem much simpler if I just switch her back or find a new food, wouldn't it? She hardly has any hair left on her tail and what remains of her coat is so coarse. Anyone else try all these supplements?

rainbow
March 26th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Has the vet tested Penny specifically for hypothyroidism?

luckypenny
March 26th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Has the vet tested Penny specifically for hypothyroidism?

No. I'll call right away and make an appointment for asap. A phone consult is obviously not addressing the issue. Unless it's seasonal, allergies don't seem to be the problem and I can't see what else may be causing her to lose such an incredible amount of fur.

Thanks Rainbow.

luckypenny
March 26th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Penny has her appointment tomorrow afternoon. I hope it's someting simple and easily treated :fingerscr

rainbow
March 26th, 2007, 05:34 PM
If it is hypothyroidism, it is very easily treated with daily medication. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

coppperbelle
March 26th, 2007, 08:21 PM
How old is Penny?

Chloe was around 5 when we finally had her tested and she is hypothyroid. Daily medication keeps it normal and since she began eating the Canidae her fur is once again beautiful.
We went through a few years of skin problems including infections that took a few rounds of antibiotics to clear up. Her fur never grew back well until the Canidae. Her fur was nice on the Solid Gold but not as nice as it is now. I did give Chloe Seameal for a few years and it did help her. Since the Canidae I no longer give it to her but if she shows problems again I will.

luckypenny
March 26th, 2007, 09:32 PM
How old is Penny?

I'd guess around 9 or 10 months old at the most.

rainbow
March 27th, 2007, 02:44 PM
I didn't realize Penny was that young. I don't think it is hypothyroidism then so must be some kind of allergy. Good luck at the vet. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

luckypenny
March 27th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Ok, I moved this to 'On Topic' "Horrible Morning"...

rainbow
March 27th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I just re-read your first post. How long have you had Penny and how long was she on the Medi-Cal before you switched her to Canidae?

rainbow
March 27th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Ok, I moved this to 'On Topic' "Horrible Morning"...

Okay, I'll reply there. :)