- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

--> feed kittens?

March 25th, 2007, 04:10 PM
According to the package this is what it says to do...any input on this whether it's ok or not?

March 25th, 2007, 04:12 PM
i dont know about more than one, but i free feed Roland

March 25th, 2007, 04:13 PM
kittens need to eat a lot. Jut like puppies. Free feeding works fine, but as they start to grow, cut back to scheduled feedings. Some people free feed older ats, which is fineif your cat isnt a piggy like one of mine lol.

March 25th, 2007, 05:13 PM
ok thats what I thought as well. We are getting 2 8-week old kittens this week sometime. I was just a little worried about one eating more than their share of food. I guess I'll be able to tell with weekly weighing if one is eating more than the other.

March 25th, 2007, 05:32 PM
You can try putting down 2 bowls, but they'll probably eat from the same bowl anyways, lol! :laughing:

Most cats can be free-fed dry food OK, but like Scott said, sometimes you have to closely monitor them. My Dancer came in off the streets at around 9 months old, and I pretty quickly realized that I had to measure her food. :o I'd measure the day's amount into a little container in the morning, and then dole it out through the day. Now, though, she nibbles as she likes.

Good luck with the little fiends!

March 25th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I would train them to eat out of separate bowls right from the start. It's easier that way. :)

March 25th, 2007, 06:58 PM
According to Felidae, for an adult cat it should 1/4 cup for every 5lbs of its weight. I was thinking of putting 1 cup in each kitten's bowl. I would think that should be enough for the day, right? I just dont want to not put enough food out for them.

I'm such a worry-wart and I dont even have them yet! I'll post pics as soon as I do though :)