Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Coconut oil: anybody know how much?

Prin
March 25th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I got some for Jemma's yeasty issues, and I'm wondering if anybody knows how much to give... I just don't want her getting pancreatitis or something from too much fat... I decided to alternate between that and the salmon oil (different fat each meal), just in case... :o

Anybody know anything about coconut oil and doggies? :o

cpietra16
March 25th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Prin, I found this site on google...

http://www.coconutdiet.com/pet_nutrition.htm#Dogs

All of our dogs (6) get coconut oil every day, and they line up to get it when they see me get the jar of it out. Needless to say, their coats are sleek and shiny. The amount of coconut oil I give my dogs is primarily based on the reason I am giving it. I don't know of any other guide for doing it. One is quite overweight with a known thyroid condition--about 90#, so he gets at least a couple of Tbsp. Two of the others have some dry "dandruffy" skin and weigh less, so they get about 3-4 tsp. per day. Another has absolutely nothing wrong with her, so I give it preventatively and to keep her coat good--about 1-2 Tbsp. as she is about 80#. The little one, about 20# gets at least a teaspoon--often more. She has very dry skin and I adjust it to her scratching. The outdoor dog (because she doesn't get along with one of the others in the house, and she came last) gets about a Tbsp. just because she is out in the weather.

cpietra16
March 25th, 2007, 01:09 PM
another

http://www.seniorcatanddogproducts.com/

One of the simplest cancer-resisting supplements you can add to your dogís food, according to Bruce Fife, ND, is coconut oil. Dr. Fife, the author of several books about coconutís health benefits, recommends feeding dogs 1 teaspoon of coconut oil per 10 pounds of body weight per day in divided doses. That's 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons) for a 30-pound dog and 2 tablespoons for a 60-pound dog.

Prin
March 25th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Geez! Thanks, cpietra... I was giving about 1 tsp so far... And that looked like a lot to me.:D :laughing:

cpietra16
March 25th, 2007, 01:13 PM
ok one more thing from same source as above...I think I will be adding coconut to everyones food:thumbs up Thanks Prin:D

"The medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil help treat or prevent all kinds of illnesses," he says, "and they have significant anti-tumor properties. Giving your dog coconut oil every day is inexpensive health insurance." Dried shredded coconut (the unsweetened kind) is an excellent source of fiber, another factor in cancer prevention. Try adding a teaspoon to a tablespoon of shredded coconut to your dog's home-prepared food. If feeding dry food, add a little water or soak the shredded coconut first.

Sounds like we should all go cuckoo for coconut!

Prin
March 25th, 2007, 01:17 PM
lol Yeah.:D Somebody mentioned it in one of my many Jemma's ears threads, and then it was in the Whole Dog Journal next to the food list, so I thought mayyyybe there's something to it.:D

I got mine at a health food store.. Fair trade and organic.:D :laughing:

Prin
March 25th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Oh and it SMELLS great, but it does NOT taste like it smells. :laughing: :o

cpietra16
March 25th, 2007, 01:31 PM
I've got a LAb...who are we kidding. Her taste buds don't have a chance in H*** to taste anything. Food goes down before she even chews it...thats why her teeth are soooo clean..never touched a speck of food:D

rainbow
March 25th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Very interesting.....thanks for posting. :thumbs up

Prin
March 25th, 2007, 01:34 PM
lol cpietra, they love it- they lick it off the spoon. Just don't try it yourself.:D

Skryker
March 25th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I'll have to look for coconut oil, then, to change up from the salmon oil now and again. They're pretty good coat and ear wise now, but it never hurts to be prepared.

cpietra, I hear you about the lab gulp factor! "Smells like food! Must be food! Gulp! I wonder what that tasted like? Was it good?" :D

Prin
March 25th, 2007, 01:46 PM
You don't have to keep it in the fridge or anything... It's weird stuff... :o

Skryker
March 25th, 2007, 01:47 PM
That's a pretty stable oil-but it makes sense, given that coconuts are tropical. It would kinda have to be tolerant of heat and humidity.

Prin
March 25th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah.. It's also like a wax though (not too tasty at room temp :o). I'm debating on whether or not to cook with it ever... It's pretty high in saturated fats...

Skryker
March 25th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah, it's that hydrogenated coconut oil that the baddie in so many foods-and movie popcorn.

rainbow
March 25th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Is this the same cocnut oil that's in lots of cookie brands?

Goldens4Ever
March 25th, 2007, 03:58 PM
YUP! Our two get 1 teaspoon 2x/day with their food. It has made a world of difference for Aspen who has Seborrhea. :thumbs up

The best one out there is by Nutiva. You want to make sure that it is Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (it's the waxy substance). We've been feeding this for well over 6 months now & our holistic vet really like this idea.

Scott_B
March 25th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Just a FYI on the pancreatitis and fat. too much fat does not cause pancreatitis, however if the dog has it, feeding too much fat can make it worse.

Prin
March 25th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I got "Bali Sun Virgin Coconut oil"... There were like a kajillion different kinds so I settled on the fair trade organic one... I want my doggies to be ethical eaters.:D

One Beagle Girl
March 25th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Ohhhhh....coconut oil is awesome!!

I feed Parker 1 tsp twice a day, and he loves it. I got an organic brand (can't remember which one). It's so good for our pups!

Prin
March 28th, 2007, 05:58 PM
So far it's going ok with the coconut oil... Jemma gets really excited about it every day. :)

SuperWanda
March 28th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Hi Prin - do you mind me asking how much you paid for the Bali Sun? I saw it today at a health food store here in two sizes but it seemed pricey - I think the small jar was $18 and the large was $25 - but maybe that's what you pay for the best variety!

Prin
March 28th, 2007, 06:58 PM
$22.69 for 473ml.. Yep, it's expensive stuff... But this is the fair trade stuff too, so that boosts the price, of course...

Smiley14
March 28th, 2007, 10:23 PM
So would it be bad to give to an overweight dog? It sounds very interesting and I wouldn't mind giving it a try and rotating with the salmon oil, but not if it's just basically giving him a tablespoon or two of fat. :o Sorry if this is a stupid question, LOL!

Prin
March 28th, 2007, 10:44 PM
It's not all fat...:o I have no idea about chubby doggies getting these fatty supps... :o To me, they'd help, but you'd have to compensate for the calories somewhere else.

Smiley14
March 28th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Hmm, maybe I'll just wait another month or two until he loses the rest of his weight gain just to be safe. LOL! I don't think he'd be too happy with me if I cut out any more of his calories. He's getting the minimum already as it is... Thanks! :)

mumof4boys
March 30th, 2007, 01:31 PM
I never thought of giving Buster coconut oil. What a great idea. I started using it myself 2 years ago after reading all of the great info on it from Dr. Bruce Fife.

Smiley14, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to give it to your dog. Maybe you could try and get hold of one of Dr. Bruce Fife's books at the library or maybe google information for Dr. Fife or coconut oil. From what I understand coconut oil has gained a reputation as being the world's only natural, low-calorie fat.

I will definitely we giving it to Buster now.

Thanks

SARAH
March 30th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Actually, nutritional fat does not automatically translate into bodyfat for the one who eats it. What causes bodyfat, is an excess of calories in versus the number of calories burned through daily activity. So a little coconut oil is not going to make an overweight dog fatter in itself.

As for cooking with coconut oils, go right ahead. It's actually one of the better ones you can use, as long as you pick the most organic, untreated brands. Of course, I'm not saying you should drown your food it the stuff, but a teaspoon in a non-stick pan works wonders for the non-sticking and doesn't hurt your own fatty deposits (if you have any that is).

Interesting thread though. I've known about and used coconut oil for a few years already, but for human consumption (there's even a coconutoil based tooth soap which is said to work better than regular toothpaste!). Reading through the posts here just now, I thought "Hey, Sheba has some dandruff on her back side, I should try coconut oil in her food!" and I'll certainly look for a jar tomorrow when we go shopping! Thanks for that tip!

mitzkity
March 30th, 2007, 11:51 PM
We've been studying up on coconut oil, ourselves, at my house. This is mainly because we seem to like popcorn as an evening snack at night. If you really research it on the web, you'll see that coconut oil has been given a really bad rap for years and that it's undeserved. However, I hadn't thought about giving it to the dogs/cats. I am def. going to look into this, because Zanzibar has itchy skin stuff in the summers. Thanks for this thread!

Prin
March 30th, 2007, 11:55 PM
It might not work for seasonal allergies, but it won't hurt, IMO...:shrug:

ArboretumGreg
March 31st, 2007, 09:18 AM
I pour a teaspoon or so of Safflower oil on the dried food I feed Bear (lab mix) since I was told that dried food pellets never have enough oil so the bags won't get stained. My trainer said that safflower oil was the best and safest for dogs. I admit I didn't research it more than this.

Prin
March 31st, 2007, 11:01 AM
Not sure about there not being enough fat in kibble though... I mean, they tell you how much there is on the bag.:o :o