Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help!..dog will not sleep in used house

missygt
March 25th, 2007, 12:13 PM
If anyone has any ideas..please let me know. Our pup 9 mths....needed a new house...so instead of buying one..a family member gave us an igloo type one. It had belonged to our pup's mother, he absolutely refuses to go inside it!...he will stand in the rain etc., to keep from it. Is it the scent of another dog that turns him off...it had previously had straw in it,we took that out, but he still won't try it. He marks the outside by urinating on it...but will have no part of the inside...any ideas ?...whats going on?:shrug:

mummummum
March 25th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Maybe it needs a thorough scrubbing on the inside to get rid of the other dog's smell. Pour some baking soda all over the bottom of the house, then pour vinegar on top of that so that it foams and give the floor, walls and ceilling a good scrub with a bristle brush and hose the whole thing down thoroughly. If you have a power-washer attchment so much the better.

Afterwards, put one of your worn t-shirts in there along with his blanket and maybe a really stinky treat to lure him into the house.

rainbow
March 25th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Good suggestion MX3......that should work. I do hope, though, that your dog is not outside 24/7 and that he is allowed indoors with the rest of the family where he belongs. :)

Maxine
March 25th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Pretty good suggestion mummummum! I hope this will work for your pup!! Do you have any picture of the puppy? We would love to see some!!:p

Maxine

missygt
March 26th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks for your replys..I tried washing it down with a scrub brush and detergent..then a second washing with baking soda.. rinsed all of it well...I forgot to add on my prior post that I did this before I posted...I even took it apart..let him be aroun the 2 pieces of the house ....gave him treats in them...then put it back together...he went in one time after I stick I threw inside..rushed back out..and that was that!....he doesn't stay out all the time...he spends lots of time being pampered and cuddled..he's spoiled rotten...lol!....I wish I could figure this out.:pawprint: