Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yikes, anyone seen Menu foods suggestion?

RolandsMom
March 25th, 2007, 12:07 AM
so i came across this article that Menu foods has suggested all meat and gravy food be removed for safety. are stores going to take this to heart?

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/TopStories/ContentPosting.aspx?feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V2&showbyline=True&newsitemid=CTVNews%2f20070323%2fmenufoods_petfood_ 070324

RolandsMom
March 25th, 2007, 12:12 AM
okay, hang on.
so at the beginning of the article it says :

Menu Foods said Saturday that even brands not on the official recall list should be removed.

and at the end it says this...

Henderson also sought to reassure the public that there was no reason to suspect the contamination affected any products beyond the ones identified in the recall.

so what is it thye want us to do?

kathryn
March 25th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Work in a supermarket and took a look and saw that only thing gone from the shelves where the iams. That's the only affected food my store carries but all the other ones where still there.

I don't think this matter is being taken seriously though. Just because the fact menu foods is all 'well we will pay for yer vet bills even though yaknow our product had rat poision in it that killed a member of your family' and the FDA just has their heads up their butts. That's just my opinion though.

Nothing is going to change about the pet food industry. =/

I'm sure if it were baby formula that the government would care and regulate the industry super strictly.

This whole thing just angers me.

RolandsMom
March 25th, 2007, 11:37 AM
i have a feeling that there is going to be some serious repurcussions from this Kathryn. Menu foods is in big dwang and im pretty sure there are going to be some serious lawsuits going down. i done thing they realise how much some peoples pets mean to them.

Prin
March 25th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Dog food people are the best (or worst :rolleyes: ) politicians. You never know what they're really saying. :sad:

rainbow
March 25th, 2007, 02:17 PM
This is what's posted on Menu Foods website:

MARCH 24, 2007 - 14:09 ET

Menu Foods Initiates Market Withdrawal of All Varieties of Recalled Wet Pet Food to Ensure Consumer Protection

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - March 24, 2007) - As a result of reports from the FDA and various media outlets that some recalled lots of "cuts and gravy" style wet pet food remain on store shelves, Menu Foods has asked all retail outlets to immediately remove all impacted varieties of wet pet food posted at www.menufoods.com , regardless of the date code.

Menu Foods remains concerned that consumers are able to purchase recalled items.

There is no known risk from items not listed on the recall list but an abundance of caution is called for in this situation. FDA has been apprised of this action.

Rottielover
March 25th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Well I went to walmart yesterday, I wanted to see what they were doing for the recall. All they had was a piece of paper saying about the recall, and they took off the ones with the dates of the recalls. The shelves are still covered in all the wet food, Iams and others.
One woman looked concerned buying the dry. I convinced her to go to reveil du maitre and have a look at the foods there. She was picking up a 8 week old toy poodle from the breeder. She said thank you, and dropped the food and left. I am glad some people are really taking this to heart.

RolandsMom
March 25th, 2007, 03:25 PM
i went to Safeway this morning and they had a list of about 5 foods that were recalled but still have not taken anything off their shelf. i didnt check what they had but how stupid are these people??????? surely they are at risk of law suits if they do not remove recalled stuff and someones animal gets sick because of it?? or doesnt it work that way?

rainbow
March 25th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Well I went to walmart yesterday, I wanted to see what they were doing for the recall. All they had was a piece of paper saying about the recall, and they took off the ones with the dates of the recalls. The shelves are still covered in all the wet food, Iams and others.
One woman looked concerned buying the dry. I convinced her to go to reveil du maitre and have a look at the foods there. She was picking up a 8 week old toy poodle from the breeder. She said thank you, and dropped the food and left. I am glad some people are really taking this to heart.

Kudos yo you, Rottielover. :highfive: Hopefully, more people will be easier to convince now. :fingerscr

jesse's mommy
March 25th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I posted in another of the dog food recall threads about my mom and my sister. My mom was feeding Mighty Dog and my sister was Iams. Well my mom calls me the other day all proud of herself because she made a successful switch with Molly --- ready for this one --- she switched to Beneful. Why won't they listen to me? :yell:

rainbow
March 25th, 2007, 05:00 PM
I posted in another of the dog food recall threads about my mom and my sister. My mom was feeding Mighty Dog and my sister was Iams. Well my mom calls me the other day all proud of herself because she made a successful switch with Molly --- ready for this one --- she switched to Beneful. Why won't they listen to me? :yell:

Holy Crap !!! http://bestsmileys.com/frustrated/7.gif http://bestsmileys.com/frustrated/4.gif

chico2
March 25th, 2007, 05:02 PM
jesses mommy,I have the same problem with my son,he believes Beneful is high end food...:evil:
As of Friday,no posting at Walmart Mississauga,the shelves were stocked with recalled food,no notice!
I did get through to the manager though,through the stockperson...but that is scary:frustrated:

Stacer
March 25th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Ijust got back from Ren's in Oakville and they stillhad tons of Nutro Natural Choice on the shelves. They had notices up everywhere, but at the Nutro the notice said that they removed the affected lots. To me that's not enough, I want to see it all gone until it is fully cleared up. All I can say is I'm glad my cats haven't been eating crap.

chico2
March 25th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Stacer,I was there today to around noon,you did not happen to bring a beauiful Golden did you??:laughing: the one I cuddled!
I did not check what was on the shelves,but I saw tons of notices!!

Prin
March 25th, 2007, 06:24 PM
That's awesome, Rottielover! :highfive: Sucks about walmart though. :frustrated:

Jesse's mommy and chico, they'll figure it out... Eventually. (hopefully)

Stacer
March 25th, 2007, 06:37 PM
nope, I was there around 4. Too bad, we could have walked right by each other. I might have recognized you from some of your pics.

chico2
March 26th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Menu Food said in the Star today,for all stores,to remove ALL,sliced,chunky food in gravy,canned and pouches from the shelves,regardless of dates produced!!
Sorry,could not post the article:sorry:

brandynva
March 26th, 2007, 07:50 AM
I was in our local Walmart last night and there were no signs or anything. The canned dog food aisle looked a teensy bit bare, but the cat food was fully stocked. We were in a hurry, otherwise i would've hunted someone down. If I'm back in there in the next couple of days, which is likely, I intend on saying something.

Scary
March 26th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Hi everyone,

I said bits of this on another thread last week... but I hope its ok to say this here too as it seems a more appropriate thread... :)
BIG THANKS to those here that are sooooooo informed and ACTIVE on this matter, you've helped settle / inform so many its wonderful... and inspiring.

As pet-parents, I feel we need to DO something, starting with informing everyone we know... most of us have told and kept up-to-date our friends and families. Yet some feel scared, angry and hopeless to help... So what now?

As so many retailers in the pet food industry aren't educated or taking action fast enough (some are, but we probably agree that ALL should), I think WE need to. We should make our voices heard to the pet food manufacturers, retailers, and government. This entire situation is not ok. This has to not happen again... and those of us that are informed as to the latest could keep passing the word.

When and where you shop for pet food, TELL someone. Tell anyone! Write a brief summary of what's happened or find one here in this great forum, print it and take it with you to pass to employees, retailers, fellow shoppers... let's help others make informed choices, get possibly-tainted food off shelves, and keep this issue HOT. I'm not talking about picket lines or nastiness! But in a firm friendly manner could we not help protect ALL pets and pet lovers if we can?
Edit: Instead of writing yourself, you could print the latest press release and list from MenuFoods to take: http://www.menufoods.com/recall/PRESS%20RELEASE03241409.htm and http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html (cat food) and (dog food). http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

If you write letters to anyone, consider posting your letters here if you're comfortable doing so, so perhaps anyone who feels they are a 'non-writer' so to speak, can borrow your words and thus sent the message out even further!

I fed my cat possibly tainted food for months (Nutro pouches, thankfully only 1 every 2 weeks as a treat... she seems ok but I'm getting her blood tested this week anyway.) Like many, I'm scared for her... and want to DO something. :yell:
Thanks for reading...sorry I got so long. :angel: In mutual pet-love, Scary

rainbow
March 26th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Scary, I hope your cat is okay.....good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

I haven't been grocery shopping since the recall. I'll be going this week and will definitely be checking the pet food aisles for any products that haven't been pullled.

Scary
March 26th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks so much Rainbow. It's weird, I'm new on this site so don't know anyone, and my cat is porbably fine... but until I know for sure I'm nervous, and your simple words of support mean a lot and give me a smile. :)

:cat: Luna's appointment is scheduled now for tomorrow, on my vet's strong advice after I described her situation, so :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr! He's being decent and reducing his lab/test fees 15% and waiving the usual exam fee too for those of us coming in with a scare and just to check.

I've printed 10 copies of the recall notice and will hand them to managers of ANY stores I go in or near that sell any pet food. Spread the word! :yell:
~Scary

rainbow
March 26th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I'm sure Luna is okay as you weren't feeding the recalled food steady. If she does have any kidney damage I'm sure it would be minimal and treatable as you will have caught it early. :grouphug: And, thanks for being such a caring mom and getting her checked "just in case". :angel:

Also, it's very nice of your vet to reduce his fees for this situation. :thumbs up Good luck at the vet tomorrow and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

chico2
March 27th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Scary,:fingerscr for Luna today and kudos to all vets who lower their fees and not taking advantage of a very bad situation:cat:
I read some vets charge 25% less:cat:

One Beagle Girl
March 27th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Good luck today Scary. I hope everything turns out okay :fingerscr . Let us know ASAP!!

Scary
March 27th, 2007, 12:28 PM
I'm SOOOO thankful it was only occasionally I fed Luna the tainted food... it paid to listen to my vet who told me when she was a kitten (my first and only), to feed mostly dry food as its best for their teeth too (and so far at 5yo her teeth are in great shape). :)

Thanks so much for the ongoing thoughts and support, I will update this post tomorrow with her results if you're interested. :grouphug:

I ended up posting in another thread (with some of you too!) that ended up in the same conversational place, so rather than retype... read about my disgust with Wal-mart here: :mad: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38300 :mad:
Cheers (of thanks and anger - lets keep 'policing' together!) ~Scary

rainbow
March 27th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Scary, you should start a new thread about Luna in the Pet Health or On Topic forum as more people will see it. :) Good luck at the vet today. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
March 27th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Scary,I did not even notice you are a fellow Oakvillonian:thumbs up
Hope to hear some good news about Luna:fingerscr

Scary
March 29th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks again everyone! Great suggestion Rainbow, if my story helps or interests anyone its worth a wee bit o'typing. :)
I just posted a new thread in the 'Health' section. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38435 ~Scary