Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Sisters

Byrd
March 24th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Okay, so first a little rant. My oldest sister won't listen to anyone about the Menu Foods thing and just because she hasn't heard anything about it (which I don't understnad because it's been on all the radio stations and news casts about 50000 times a day for the past few weeks) doesn't believe it's true. She is one of those women that only listens to what her husband says. :rolleyes: Anyway, she unfortunately feeds her dog Authority wet and dry. And, get this, is complaining that the dog has very wet diarrhea! She has taken her to the vet and he just put her on some antibiotics (her vet sucks, I have never liked him)!!!! I need to whip it into her head with a rusty crow bar!!!!! :frustrated:

So, on another note, I need a list of "good" yet not too expensive foods to give to my sisters. The one, as said above, feeds Authority, and the other feeds Pro Plan. I got my mom switched from Pro Plan to Royal Canine Shih Tzu after I bought a sample and they loved it.

So, one of the dogs (Authority) is a Shih Tzu, and the other has two Shih Tzu's and a Chocolate Lab. All I can think of right now is Royal Canine and Solid Gold.

I'm thinking to even suggest the Performatrin Ultra which, yes, is what I feed, but it's nearly the same as Solid Gold (gave you guys the list of ingredients a while back before switching). It is around $30 for a 15 lb bag, compared to nearly $50 for Solid Gold. Maybe, considering Pro Plan is only about $10/bag cheaper they will switch to that. :fingerscr

qhgirl1
March 24th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I like Canidae. I pay around $35 for 40 pounds but I'm in the US so I don't know how much it is in Canada.

Byrd
March 24th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I think it works out to about the same price here.

So, I now have:

Solid Gold
Royal Canin
Canidae
Performatrin Ultra

Going to the websites I noticed they all have a note about the recall and to feel safe because they are not involved.

Also, looking at the site I am wondering about the Royal Canin Energy 4800 for Willow. :shrug:

For those that are wondering, here is the ingredients list for the Ultra: http://www.performatrinultra.com/dog/ddi_chicken.htm

Winston
March 24th, 2007, 09:35 PM
The Orijen is a great food and is just as resonable!

Cindy

rainbow
March 24th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Byrd, of the four foods you listed, I would only feed two.....Canidae (first choice) and Solid Gold ( second choice). :)

Byrd
March 25th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Well, I know that they wouldn't go for the Solid Gold, too expensive!

Next time I go to the pet store I should grab a few samples of different things (and prices) and give them a 'gift bag'. It's all about the money, with the second sister I don't get it, she's a letter carrier and her husband works in a factory, so they're okay. The other one, however, is a house cleaner at $8/hr and her husband makes less than me, so they're not so good.

*Sigh, at least they're not feeding Dog Chow*

Prin
March 25th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Eagle Pack is a little icky, but I think it's cheaper too...:o

Or you can push them onto Kirkland dog food. It's a bit better than Nutro, and only $23/huge bag.

rainbow
March 25th, 2007, 02:04 PM
And, if I remember correctly, the Kirkland lamb and rice is better than the chicken and rice formula. :)

Skryker
March 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Byrd, I switched to the Canidae from Performatrin Ultra and I like it better. :o

I can't remember what I was paying for the Performatrin, but I know that when I did the math, the 40lb bag of Canidae for 57$ (12th one is free with the frequent buyer program), the Canidae was a bit cheaper since the bag is larger.

For a shih tzu, the 40lb bag would be way too large, but a lab...well, I buy a bag about every 3 1/2 weeks for my 2 labbies...but they are still growing, as well. :o

Prin
March 25th, 2007, 05:28 PM
And, if I remember correctly, the Kirkland lamb and rice is better than the chicken and rice formula. :)

It was a while ago, but now it seems the chicken has been improved (as are the chicken soup formulas too). :shrug: They're both ok now. But the kitty food is terrible. :D

rainbow
March 25th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Thanks, Prin.....I have a hard enough time trying to keep up with the premium foods. :)

Frenchy
March 25th, 2007, 06:13 PM
It was a while ago, but now it seems the chicken has been improved (as are the chicken soup formulas too). :shrug: They're both ok now. But the kitty food is terrible. :D

I would still prefer the Lamb and rice formula, so many dogs have allergies to chicken.

brandynva
March 25th, 2007, 07:40 PM
What about Innova? It's only slightly more expensive than Purina One. We pay $40 for a 33lb bag here... Good luck convincing them to do what's best!

coppperbelle
March 25th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Lamb is harder on the stomach so some dogs have problems with it.
The Kirkland brand is very affordable.

The Performatrin Ultra contains Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex.

Byrd
March 25th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys.

Well, I bought my mom a bag of Canidae PAWS, it was only $10.99. So, I took it over and said that if she switches the boys to it, I will buy it. Took some out and even Willow, who will eat anything put in front of her, turned her nose up at it. I left it in their bowls and Willow eventually ate it. :rolleyes: So, I left the bag and told her to try her best. Honestly, these dogs are the most picky I've ever seen, they only eat if it's mixed with wet, etc! :rolleyes: Well, I also told her to mention it to my sisters too, and to give them some to try on their dogs.

I also mentioned the Kirkland food as well as they are all Costco members.

And on another note, I bought Willow some Northern Biscuits Venison and Apple and some Performitrin Ultra Yogurt and Fieldberry and I must say they both seem to go down very pleasantly. I get the "can I have somemore?" face whenever I give her one (well, half a one, they are pretty big).

rainbow
March 25th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I know that Timberwolf Organics is one of the most expensive but to feed a little dog not so bad. I've never heard of a dog that refuses it. It's better to pay a little more than to end up with a bag of kibble they won't eat IMO. :shrug:

Byrd
March 26th, 2007, 06:20 PM
The Performatrin Ultra contains Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex.

Isn't that vitamin K?

rainbow
March 26th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Isn't that vitamin K?

It's Vitamin K3. Vitamin K1 and K2 are okay.

Skryker
March 26th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Yeah, it was the Menadione and the brewer's yeast in the Performatrin that made me switch. :o

My hounds love all the types of Northern Biscuits I've bought so far...although they liked the lamb and lake trout ones better before the reformulation. I haven't been able to get the venison and apple ones yet. One store carries the Bison ones, but they are 8.49 a bag vs. 4.99 for the other flavours. :eek:

And they loved the Performatrin Wild Rice and Trout cookies. :rolleyes: Well, they'd never starve so long as trout were handy, I guess.

Byrd
March 26th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Yeah, but she's been on it for over a year now and is doing fine on it. But, I have been talking to TD about doing a raw/kibble diet with her.

Skryker
March 26th, 2007, 07:35 PM
My guys did great on the Performatrin, too-it's a good food, I just got ugged out by the Menadione and brewer's yeast (since brewer's yeast can be a great thing or an icky by-product thing. :o Sometimes, I read too much! :p )

coppperbelle
March 26th, 2007, 07:41 PM
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione

Byrd
March 26th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I read that, but Menadione is the second or third last ingredient, the amount in the food really can't be all that much. :shrug:

Scott_B
March 27th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Maybe for a one time exposer type deal, but remember, you feed this ood every meal for their entire lives. If its in the food, I wouldnt feed it. :yuck:

Byrd
March 31st, 2007, 04:14 PM
To go back on track, my mom's dogs loved the Candidae and my sister was over at her house and my mom was telling her about it and my sister took a sample to try. :highfive: Here's to being forceful.

MamaSue
March 31st, 2007, 06:40 PM
Good on you, Byrd!

Yesterday at the vets, they recommended the Canidae, which we bought on the way home.

The Kirkland is not a bad second choice, according to the research I have done, but the vet said only because their puppy food had too much protein for a giant breed, so we are not feeding it...

We did get the Kirkland cat food though.

mafiaprincess
March 31st, 2007, 07:08 PM
The kirkland dog food is good...

Unless they have changed the ingredients really really recently, the cat food leaves much to be desired.

Byrd
March 31st, 2007, 07:30 PM
Right now I am making a batch of homemade for Willow... we are gonna try it as dinner (kibble for breakfast) and see how it goes. :fingerscr I'm just at the point where I don't think I will ever trust the manufactured stuff, it just seems that every brand has something or other wrong with it. :frustrated:

TeriM
April 1st, 2007, 12:32 AM
So how long did it take to make up the home-made food? I keep toying with doing this, maybe just throwing some stuff in a crock pot :shrug: .

Byrd
April 1st, 2007, 09:50 AM
Not too long really, it took an hour or so to prep and then it simmers for two hours. This made about 17 days worth of food (Willow sized portions). The best part is, she loves it! :cloud9:

I posted pics and such here (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=402079#post402079). The link to the recipe is there too.

I've thought about the crock pot thing too. But, I like having a set recipe to follow and to know that I'm making her the same stuff each time I do it. I think I need to invest in a bigger pot though. :rolleyes:

MamaSue
April 1st, 2007, 11:51 AM
Well I was told that they changed the cat food about three months ago. No more byproducts. no corn.