Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wellness and Canidae..

mafiaprincess
March 24th, 2007, 07:55 PM
So last night I saw it mentioned that Canidae has moved into American walmarts.. Anyone happen to notice if the ingredients are doing anything funny to make it cheaper? What's the price like in comparison to a feed store for it (like will people really buy it when Ol Roy is dirt cheap)?

Someone on another forum found Wellness in her/his grocery store.. The supermix chicken has slightly changed ingredients, but the rest still match up to the list at the top of the forum.

With this dog food scare.. There were already only a small number of companies I liked.. And the ones who use Menu bug me.. just the nasty ingredients along side my good ones.. To find that there may be a smaller number yet of companies rate they are all going, my god...

worrier
March 24th, 2007, 08:11 PM
So last night I saw it mentioned that Canidae has moved into American walmarts.. Anyone happen to notice if the ingredients are doing anything funny to make it cheaper? What's the price like in comparison to a feed store for it (like will people really buy it when Ol Roy is dirt cheap)?

Someone on another forum found Wellness in her/his grocery store.. The supermix chicken has slightly changed ingredients, but the rest still match up to the list at the top of the forum.

With this dog food scare.. There were already only a small number of companies I liked.. And the ones who use Menu bug me.. just the nasty ingredients along side my good ones.. To find that there may be a smaller number yet of companies rate they are all going, my god...

No freaking way!

lol I am exasperated. I am trying to run form Wal-Mart as fast as I can and I keep running into it. Just started switching my boy from Wellness to Canidae. Hopefully, the ingredients haven't changed, but I wouldn't know since I got my first bag today.

Jessicagmz
March 24th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I feed Canidae and Felidae.........do you have a link about it moving to walmart? I am flabergasted :frustrated:

rainbow
March 24th, 2007, 10:51 PM

Where did you read this?

mafiaprincess
March 24th, 2007, 10:56 PM
On another forum, which is why I wanted to ask other people what they'd heard (or seen if you live stateside especially). I don't take one person's post as enough, just worries me a touch.

Think One Beagle Girl posted last night that Wellness has moved into walmart as of January.. So I've seen more references to wellness doing things I don't like, and only one reference to canidae.

Anyone who has seen wellness in a walmart do far is the price the same as outside walmart in a feed store?

rainbow
March 24th, 2007, 11:14 PM
I sure hope the Canidae post is wrong. It's one of the better foods out there.
I also read One Beagle Girl's post about Wellness. It just sucks and I'm still hoping that it's incorrect too. Maybe someone is posting these things to get people like us upset in light of the recall. :shrug:

mafiaprincess
March 24th, 2007, 11:17 PM
True enough I am hoping the Canidae thing is wrong as well. That's 3 posts on wellness I've seen though. 2 that it's in walmart 1 that it's in a grocery store. Yikes.

rainbow
March 24th, 2007, 11:34 PM
If both of these turn out to be true we need to mass email them to tell them our thoughts.

Icy
March 25th, 2007, 01:24 AM
ok, I found my way over here to the food thread, that's great!:)

Before I make another post, I need properly introduce myself in the say Hi thread, on the main page. I'll be back here tomorrow. You won't believe what I found out about Natural Balance and why I switched over to CANIDAE and FELIDAE, just this week.

rainbow
March 25th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Start a new thread about it. Looking forward to what you heard. :)

Scott_B
March 25th, 2007, 06:59 AM
I emailed Canidae a while back, asking about walmart & a ingredient change, but was told it was not true.

"Scott - I have NOT heard any rumors to that effect. We have NO plans to
change our formula. And giving CANIDAE to a corporate type store is against
our philosophy.

Lois - CANIDAE Support"

Mind you, this was many months ago. :shrug:

I must say though, if the ingredients stayed the same, I wouldnt feel too bad about walmart carrying Canidae. Maybe more pet owners would skip ol'roy and try it instead.

chico2
March 25th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Scott you are right,as long as the ingredients stay the same,maybe more people would buy better food for their cats/dog on their regular tour of Walmart:fingerscr
When IAMS became grocery-store food,I heard they changed ingredients,but that might be false,my cats were never on IAMS though,I always thought it was bad stuff..

brandynva
March 25th, 2007, 07:59 AM
I agree with Scott. Around here the nearest holistic store is 30 minutes away. A lot of people I know feed Ol' Roy cuz it's cheap and it's available. Some I know feed Iams or Purina because they figure it's "high end" and is much better. If there were a third option available, and the ingredients and integrity of the company don't change, I think it's a wonderful opportunity. Especially for people who don't even KNOW there's another option out there.

Before I came along on this site, I had no clue about Canidae, Wellness, Solid Gold, Innova etc.... I thought Purina and Science Diet was the best there was and that I was doing good feeding Purina One. So, bottom line is, I think this may be a good opportunity. I will certainly keep my eyes peeled, as I go to Walmart weekly for groceries. :)

Goldens4Ever
March 25th, 2007, 11:04 AM
......Around here the nearest holistic store is 30 minutes away. A lot of people I know feed Ol' Roy cuz it's cheap and it's available. Some I know feed Iams or Purina because they figure it's "high end" and is much better. If there were a third option available, and the ingredients and integrity of the company don't change, I think it's a wonderful opportunity. Especially for people who don't even KNOW there's another option out there..........Before I came along on this site, I had no clue about Canidae, Wellness, Solid Gold, Innova etc.... I thought Purina and Science Diet was the best there was and that I was doing good feeding Purina One. So, bottom line is, I think this may be a good opportunity. I will certainly keep my eyes peeled, as I go to Walmart weekly for groceries. :)

Yes, I agree. Even though I don't like the idea of placing healthy holistic products right next to unhealthy products in a Walmart or Grocery Store (which may be kind-of a pride issue), it still would provide the opportunity for people to become aware of these holistic foods so that they have better products to choose from than what's currently sold there. Awareness is really important. If people don't SEE it, then it's up to them to take the initiative to learn about other products that they don't see where they shop, & the majority of people are NOT going to do that. They will either buy what their vet recommends, what they've always bought, what's readily available, or what's cheapest.

Two years ago, we also were in the same situation, feeding Science, Iams, & Euk because that's what our vet recommended-we didn't know about these other products until I just so happened to cross paths with a Solid Gold sales rep who was truly a God-send. Our two would not be healthy like they are today if I hadn't of learned about dog food ingredients. :shrug: :eek:

If the ingredients ih high-end holistic products don't change to make them cheaper for Walmart & Grocery Store sale, then I think this would be a fabulous endeavor. Additionally, I think that if there was ever a time for these holistic companies to advertise on a LARGE SCALE, this is the time! If there ever was a time for these holistic companies to make a serious effort to teach people about dog food ingredients, this is the time!

Icy
March 25th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Rainbow, I checked the board rules but didn't find anything on this.
Is it ok if I copy/past an email I received from Natural Balance as part of telling what happened?
Please advise, thanks.

mafiaprincess
March 25th, 2007, 02:11 PM
It's fine.. Just start a new thread on it specifically about Natural Balance.

Skryker
March 25th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Scott, I remembered you had emailed Canidae and asked about the Wal-Mart rumour, and they had said no.

As for WalMart Canada, mu hubby works for the company that does the logistics for WalMart here and he's been keeping an eye out for skids of Canidae since I heard Walmart might be carrying it. Nothing so far, and he would see it before it actually hit the shelves.

(It's kind of hard for me to slag Walmart too much, even if I don't agree with their corporate policies, since they pay the bills around here. :o :o ).

Icy
March 25th, 2007, 02:32 PM
ok, will do that. I've got my Dad coming over to my place in 30 minutes for his Sunday visit/dinner. I'll start putting it together right now and post it later early evening after he leaves.

rainbow
March 25th, 2007, 02:55 PM
I agree it would be okay for Walmart to sell Wellness and Canidae so, hopefully, more people will choose it over Ol'Roy. But, I honestly don't think they will as Ol' Roy will always be cheaper and, unfortuneately, that's all most people care about. :sad:

Also, I would be afraid that once the premium brands were on Walmart's shelves for awhile that the companies would cheapen the ingredients in order to compete. :sad:

~michelle~
March 25th, 2007, 03:43 PM
i think if wal mart carried it it would be both good and bad.
good more people would use it, but walmart has very opposing philosophies to the brands i would like to feed my dogs.
plus encouraging people to find a holistic store w\in which the people there usually know more about pets, nutrition, and the product maybe good. at walmart its a bunch of people working that are told to sell, it doesnt matter if it cosmetics or dog food, just sell it. not saying holistic food stores employ experts but in my experience their staff has know about products and they generally sell.

coppperbelle
March 25th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I was in a U.S. Walmart on the weekend and they had neither WEllness nor Canidae on the shelves.

rainbow
March 25th, 2007, 06:24 PM
That's good to hear. I guess it will take awhile before we get to the bottom of this. :)