Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is "Vitamin K" Necessarily Menadione?

chocolatecoffee
March 24th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I was just wondering, if Vitamin K is listed on an ingredient list, is it always menadione?

I was admiring the ingredient list on the sample of Orijen I got before going out and getting a bag today, and noticed that it has "Vitamin K" on its ingredient list. I immediately went to the Orijen website and looked at the Orijen Adult Ingredients (http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/products/adultingredients.aspx), but I think I'm going crazy because I can't see it on there.

Here's the ingredients on the bag:
Fresh chicken meat, chicken meal (low ash), turkey meal, steamed russet potato, fresh-caught Northern Witefish, chicken fat, fresh whole eggs, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, tapioca, chicken broth, sunflower oil, flaxseed, Atlantic kel, steamed carrots, spinach, peas and tomatoes, sun-cured alfalfa, apple fiber, psyllium seed, rosemary extract, chicory, burdock and marshmallow root (FOS), yeast extract (MOS), glucosamine HCl, cranberries, black currants, rosehips, stinging nettle, marigold flowers, L-camitine, fennel seed, chamomile flowers, milk thistle, chickweed, summer savoory, chondroitin sulfate, mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin K, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin, pyridoxine (source of vitamin B6), iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, sodium selenite, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacilus casei, Bifidobacterium (B. bifidus), Saccharomyces (S. boulardii)

I sent an e-mail to Orijen asking them if it was menadione, but I was wondering if anybody knew the answer as I don't know nearly as much about food as some people here. I pretty much equated "Vitamin K" with bad, so I was concerned when I saw this on the bag :p. I was hoping to buy a bag today since Panna and Cannelle have pretty much devoured every crumb in the sample bag, but I think I might hold off until I have an answer.

rainbow
March 24th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Vitamin K3 is menadione and Vitamin K1 is the safe form to use. I wish the pet food companies would clarify on their bags/websites which one they use. :frustrated:

I know I read somewhere in the food forum that Orijen does not use menadione in their food. I will try and see if I can find the thread but there has been so many posts here lately with the food recall that it might be a lost cause.

Peter is usually good about answering emails although he could be swamped right now with recall questions. When you get an answer could you please post it here. TIA. :)

rainbow
March 24th, 2007, 03:04 PM
I found the thread.....it's from Sept. 24/06. See post #9.....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30987&highlight=orijen+menadione

I'd still like to see the reply you get though. :)

chocolatecoffee
March 24th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks so much, rainbow!

Sorry, I should have searched more thoroughly before posting :o. I went out and got the bag today, but will still wait for Orijen's reply. I'll definitely post it as soon as I get one.

I checked the bag I just got and "Vitamin K" is listed on it as well, but it's still not on the website. It seems odd that Orijen wouldn't specify that it's Vitamin K1 so people wouldn't worry about it, rather than be ambiguous between which kind is used. I wonder if maybe it originally had menadione and they removed it, but haven't changed the bags yet? :confused:

I guess I'll have to wait and see what they say. Thanks again!

rainbow
March 24th, 2007, 07:44 PM
They have six months to use up their supply of old bags but must be getting close to that now. I hope the new bags say Vitamin K1 too. I'll wait to see what your reply says. :)

chocolatecoffee
March 25th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Wow! I thought I'd at least have to wait until Monday for a reply, but he replied within 24 hours! On a weekend!

Here's what he said:
Hello Daniela what a great pleasure to know you are reading packaging so closely and carefully.

When ORIJEN bags were printed in April 2006, we were not yet aware of the Vitamin K issues and Vitamin K was used in many of our pet foods, including ORIJEN. After our visit to INTERZOO in Nuremberg, Germany in May of 2006 we quickly learned that Europeans did not want this ingredient in pet food. After researching the issues for ourselves, we decided to remove K3 from all of our foods in June of 2006. As our packaging still had Vitamin K printed on the bag, we replaced K3 with much more expensive K2.

Our new ORIJEN packaging will begin arriving in a few weeks time, and you will be pleased to note the ingredient panel is updated.

Thanks again Daniela for taking the time to write to us, and please write again if I can be of further assistance.

Kind Regards,
Peter
www.championpetfoods.com

Well I'm impressed to say the least, and the girls are happy they get to eat their Orijen again :D.

Thanks again for all of your help, rainbow!

Prin
March 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM
K2?! Rainbow, do you know anything about K2? :o

rainbow
March 25th, 2007, 02:29 PM
I did have some information when I first researched menadione lst year. I'll have to see if I can find it. :)

Prin
March 25th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks, Rainbow.:o I didn't even bother looking at K2 because K1 was natural K.:o

Stacer
March 25th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I'm glad this was brought up. When I go to the pet food store I always browse other foods and check out ingredients and have noticed vitamin K in many foods' ingredients without it being specific which k was being used. I just assumed it was the company being sneaky.

rainbow
March 25th, 2007, 07:04 PM
It is IMO. I think they should specify on their labels and websites if it's K1, K2 or K3 ......it would sure save having to contact them to find out. :frustrated:

rainbow
March 25th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I must have deleted the article I was thinking of. I did find this information though when I googled it. It's from www.nichd.nih.gov/COCHRANE/puckett/review.htm ....lots of information there but most of it is over my head. :o

In nature there are two types of vitamin K: vitamin K1 or phylloquinone, which is found in foodstuffs like green vegetables, vegetable oils, and dairy products, and K2 or menaquinone, which is synthesized by the intestinal flora and only absorbed in small amounts. Vitamin K3 or menadione is a synthetic, water-soluble vitamin, which is no longer used as a prophylaxis in most parts of the world, because of its potential to cause hemolytic anemia with jaundice. The only source of vitamin K in newborns is food because the bowel is still sterile and there is no synthesis of K2 by bacterial flora. The amount of vitamin K ingested differs with the way the child is fed. Breast milk contains lower amounts of vitamin K than modern formula milk or cow's milk and the risk of developing vitamin K deficiency is higher for the breast-fed infant