Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat over population

amaruq
April 6th, 2004, 11:33 AM
This was in the paper this morning. I was shocked at how many cats were put down.

Tue, April 6, 2004

Cat snip must be law

People too dumb to sterilize kitty

By TOM BRODBECK, CITY COLUMNIST

If Winnipeg wants to take a bite out of its growing cat population and claw back the number of felines it's forced to euthanize every year, introducing a new tax is not the solution. What Winnipeg, or Manitoba for that matter, should do is make it illegal for any group, organization or pet store to sell non-sterilized cats.

The Winnipeg Humane Society wants the city to introduce a new $10 cat licence. They say it would help the city keep track of cats and reduce the number of euthanizations.

WHS puts down an average of 2,430 cats a year, in part because people are too dumb to spay or neuter Fluffy.

But rather than impose another tax on an already over-taxed city, what city hall or the provincial government should do is force pet stores and cat shelters to ensure the cats they sell are sterilized.

It wouldn't be difficult to implement.

If the cat is old enough to sterilize (four to six months), the law should stipulate that it must be spayed or neutered before it leaves the store or shelter. The cost of the sterilization would be added to Fluffy's ticket price.

If the cat isn't old enough, the buyer would have to leave a deposit of, say $200, that would be reimbursed when he or she provides documented proof of sterilization.

WHS executive director Vicki Burns said she likes the idea.

So does the city's Animal Services CEO Tim Dack.

PATCHWORK

As it stands, there are no laws on the books regarding sterilization at the retail or pet shelter level.

A pet store or a shelter can sell a cat without any conditions that the cat be sterilized.

Some shelters and outlets have strict policies that ensure their cats are spayed or neutered before they're sold. But it's a patchwork across the city.

The WHS ensures the vast majority of its cats are sterilized before or after they're adopted. But even they admit their facility introduces about 150 cats a year back into the community that don't get sterilized because the owner is negligent.

The solution to the euthanization problem, though, is not a new licensing fee. The answer is to force people, shelters and retail outlets to sterilize their cats.

I have a cat. It's neutered. And while he's never forgiven me for taking away his cat manhood (which he frequently reminds me of when he takes another strip of material out of my couch), I know that at least I'm not contributing to the proliferation of cats.

It's a little known fact but the city already has a bylaw on forced sterilization for cats. All cats over the age of six months are supposed to be spayed or neutered. Failure to comply can net the owner a $200 fine.

Trouble is, once the cat leaves the store or shelter, it's tough to enforce.

You can't really go house to house and do testicle checks on cats.

But cat registration isn't the answer. That's just a money grab.

Besides, there's already a bylaw on the books -- another little known fact -- requiring all cats to carry identification.

Cats in Winnipeg must have a tattoo, a microchip or an ID collar or their owners face a $100 fine.

But like the existing sterilization bylaw, it's difficult to enforce.

So, too, would a cat registration scheme be.

The real answer is to snip Fluffy before he leaves the pet store or the shelter.

It's not going to solve all of Winnipeg's feline woes.

But it would make a difference.

***** Me again. I don't think the License will work. But I do like the idea of store not selling cats till sterlized.

Lucky Rescue
April 6th, 2004, 11:56 AM
People too dumb to sterilize kitty

In a nutshell, that is the reason for the slaughter and suffering of countless young, healthy and wonderful cats.

WE should know - we see a lot of them here on this board. Multiply the "dummies" by a million, and you will get an idea of the magnitude of the problem.:mad:

One unspayed female cat, her mate and all their offspings, producing 2 litters per year, with an average of 2.8 surviving kittens per litter can total:
12 cats after 1 year

67 cats after 2 years

376 cats after 3 years

2,107 cats after 4 years

11,801 cats after 5 years

66,088 cats after 6 years

370,092 cats after 7 years

2,072,514 cats after 8 years

11,606,077 cats after 9 years

PLEASE, SPAY OR NEUTER YOUR PETS

Chany
April 6th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Yep!! Totally agree! Over 2000 cats being put down is ridiculous!
Although I'd like to see some fines being implemented also and those monies going towards shelters instead of the government,
but I know that is pretty much impossible. :rolleyes:

Donna Marie
April 6th, 2004, 01:39 PM
I don't see how someone wouldn't get their cat altered. When we adopted Cleo at two months old, she was already done. I guess it is more difficult at *shudder* pet stores, but it should definately be a law.

Chany...the fines would be a fantastic idea. Put the money to good use.

Karin
April 6th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Tough laws on animal sterilization and strays have been in place for a long time here. We do have a rabies problem in Florida.
We also have many horse farms too and "barn cats" are popular.
Most "barn Cats" I have seen would love a cozy home to live in., my .02 cents.
That is only part of the feral cat problem. Some cities like Orlando are in the process of a mass eradication of stray, unkept feline colony's, they spread disease.
Operation Catnip at UF has been making strides in knocking the numbers down along with other programs state wide.
Spay & Neuter..test for FELV/FIV. Turn loose again. A neutered male cat will still keep other males out of his turf and a female cannot breed anyway, so , eventually the colony will die out.
I am seeing results already in our area, rich with horse farms.
There needs to be more programs like this in place everywhere.
Spays and neuters are the gravy for a vet practice...if you ever saw a vet's overhead and expenses you would cringe and swear never to become one. But not everyone can afford the price they offer, it's easier to let it go.
Low cost spay & neuter programs work very well. Contact your local University (with a Vet college).

Catt31
April 6th, 2004, 08:54 PM
When I lived in Lethbridge they had a cat licensing program that had just begun shortly before I moved away. It was just getting going, but like they said, it is hard to enforce something like that. I talked to several people who had cats that were going to pretend to not have cats ("Well if they are indoor cats, who will ever know??") That sent me on a rampage....LOL (if you can imagine...ME!!) I said that really isn't the point of having the license, but I guess not everyone is honest like me....or cares about the cat population!!

Anyways, I don't know any stats as to how it is working 6 years later, but I could do my research and try to find out!! I thought it was a good idea!! Hard to enforce, hard to determine who has a cat, and hard to penalize those whose cats are running loose!!! :rolleyes:

chico2
April 6th, 2004, 10:11 PM
I would be happy to get a $10 license for my cats,but I and my cats are not the problem.
People get little kittens because they are cute,are not willing to spend any money on a lowly cat,once the kitten grows up and becomes a cat,they lose interest.
I doubt very much a fine would do any good,they would just leave the cat in the shelter and maybe get another unfortunate kitten and it starts all over again.
If people do not care enough to spay or neuter a cat,they most certainly are not going to buy a license or pay a fine.
It's the responsible owners who will pay.

Catt31
April 7th, 2004, 06:28 PM
You're absolutely right Anita!!! None of us on this site are the problem - except for a few that we've blasted out of here!! :D I just don't understand how people cannot get attached even as they grow up!! Baffles me!!!:confused: A fine would be great but who and how would they enforce it?

Creating more jobs - great, needing more money to fund the jobs - not so great, not possible so it probably won't ever happen! Seems like a lose lose situation unfortunately...and unfortunately its the animals that lose!! Poor critters!!!! :(

Lucky Rescue
April 7th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Most "barn Cats" I have seen would love a cozy home to live in., my .02 cents.

Oh, I couldn't agree more! The only time we ever place cats in barns is if they are too wild to tame and we have no place for them.

Skittish, slightly feral or timid cats are all placed in homes by us. It takes awhile to find just the right home, but is well worth it.

And we make sure any cats we place in barns are going to people who have a solid and warm structure and who will feed and give the cats any vet care they need.