Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm i giving to much bone

angeldogs
March 24th, 2007, 07:16 AM
I give a bone meal every morning.and at the begining of the week i gave Jag some beef with bone in it for his breakfast.the bone was in the middle of the meat.they look like rib bones but it wasn't rib.well this morning i let him out and he past just bone.they were the same bone as what was in the beef.so is that to much bone or just a type of bone his digestive system can't break down.

x.l.r.8
March 24th, 2007, 10:10 AM
As with all food, they will take what they need and pass the rest, especially as it hasn't that long in the dogestive system (get it) :shrug: , I'd stick to the bone with the meat and give him a while to build up the enzymes to digest the slightly denser bones. It's not like you couldn't suddenly add some more bonier items like ribs later on if you feel he's not getting enough. Some may think differently so see what the experts say. Out of curiosity, why the additional bone meal?

barkley21
March 24th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Personally I stay away from beef bones because I find them too dense for Barkley to chomp through and I worry about him breaking a tooth on them. It could be that the bone was just too tough for Jag to chew and he swallowed it whole and that's exactly how it came out at the other end. If that is what happened, then Jag is missing out on all of that teeth cleaning goodness from chewing the bone so it kind of defeats the purpose anyway. When I feed bone meals to Barkley, I stick with chicken, turkey, and pork bones as they are softer and more pliable. Remember, the bigger the animal, the harder and more dense the bone, so you can imagine how tough beef bones are when you picture the size of a cow. Do you see bones in Jag's poop when he eats chicken, turkey, or pork bones? If not, I'd stick with feeding him these bones and when feeding him beef, just feed the meat and cut the bone out or leave it in and take it away once he's chewed the meat off of it. Just my :2cents:

angeldogs
March 24th, 2007, 02:44 PM
It was mostly all meat only 5 bones in it.i've been feeding him it since he's been on raw and it's been about 2 months.this is the first time he's passed all the bones.they were small.the bone in a chicken leg is thicker then the bone in the beef.thats why i like feeding it.lots of meat and small bones.
just thought maybe bone everymorning was to much bone.he gets less meat with a turkey back then the beef but more bone in the chicken.i don't feed both together.seperate meals.thanks for the replies.other then everything is going great with raw.i won't switch back to kibble.

barkley21
March 24th, 2007, 03:38 PM
just thought maybe bone everymorning was to much bone

Not necessarily. If you're sticking to the 80-% meat, 10-15% bone, 5-10% organs ratios, then it's perfectly fine to give him a bonier meal at breakfast every day and then a meat only meal for dinner. When I give Barkley his meals, I will often throw in a chicken drumstick and then add a bunch of boneless beef or pork and a small piece of liver or kidney. Some people serve a bony meal at one meal and then meat only on the next meal to balance it out, but I personally stick to the ratios above at every meal, so every meal he gets has mostly meat, a little bone, and a little organ meat. It doesn't matter which way you choose to do it because it all evens out in the end. I wouldn't recommend skipping the bone portion of the meal. If the pieces of bone in the beef are as small as you say, then he probably isn't munching through them some of the time. It might be better to give him something like a drumstick or turkey neck which will ensure that he chomps through it.

angeldogs
March 25th, 2007, 12:59 AM
He chews his chicken legs,ribs and turkey backs real good.when i give him his
RMB in the morning if there is not enough meat.i will also give extra meat with it.and all meat for his supper.they were small enough i think he just swallowed them.

angeldogs
March 26th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Ok i think it's time to start grinding up the bones.that's all jag past yesterday and they were different then the first ones.untill the dog park and it was a dark green.the that came out all weekend.

technodoll
March 26th, 2007, 12:41 PM
yep, grind them for a while and then slowly start re-introducing soft whole bones once you get that nice hard poop going :thumbs up

are you sure it's the bones though? what else could he be eating?... poor guy. he needs a break! :grouphug:

angeldogs
March 27th, 2007, 01:02 AM
TD.its bones.there just small ones though.i which we had firm poops.even on kibble we will get 1 firm 1soft and 1 runny.then the cycle continues.it's been like that since we got Jag last year.i don't know what to do anymore.atleast he's maintaining his 80lbs since being on raw.i'm going to have to put the grinder on hold right now.pickup went into the shop yesterday.so there goes the money:mad: :sad:

angeldogs
April 1st, 2007, 10:29 PM
Thought i would give an update.no bone present lately in stool.but still runny.
when i was switching over to raw i was giving more bone and his poops were solid.cut the bone back and was getting bone in stool and it's soft or runny:frustrated: .on a good note i have my shih tzu on raw now.she stopped eating kibble and would wait for jag to finish.that's why i wanted a grinder.got my late grandma's old fashion grinder now.