Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wheat isnt the only thing to look for now.

erykah1310
March 23rd, 2007, 10:01 PM
I was as outraged with the rat poison thing as the next person, but I have noticed that now, SO many people ( not really on here, but a few other forums I frequent) are focusing so much on one ingredient.
I dont blame them on one hand, but really if you think about it, this could have happened with so many ingredients in dog food or even human foods.
The way im seeing it (JMHO) is now there is mass paranoia regarding one specific ingredient, however no one is really questioning the other ingredients.
:shrug:
Just because for the time being X and Y ingredients are not contaminated who is to say they wont be by something else in a month or a year???

I dont really know where im heading with this little rant, and I appologize, but I just needed to say it.:shrug:

its great that some eyes are opening wider and more concern is going into what people are putting in their dogs, but ... There is more "potential" problems to come if you really think about it.

Sorry if this makes no sence, it does to me.

Prin
March 23rd, 2007, 10:11 PM
You're right. With the Diamond recall, it was a toxin specific to the grains, and therefore was limited to the grains for sure. This isn't a grain thing. They probably guessed it was wheat because the foods that haven't killed animals have no wheat, but it's rat poison. You can put rat poison anywhere.

erykah1310
March 23rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
I just dont think people should rush and put all their kibbles in the same bowl right now ( that was corny I know)
It could happen to Innova, it could happen to TO, all pet food companies are secritive in their own ways. NONE of them say the 100% truth.

It just kinda gets me when everyone only looks at whats in front of them, there is a huge picture beyond media coverage. I mean, would the FDA have allowed such a thing to happen if they knew about it? NOPE,
AAFCO may say that rat poision "meets or exceeds" their levels but thats a whole other can of worms I have ready to open one day.

The meat sources can easily become contaminated as well... take a look at us with mad cow for example.
You just never know.

Prin
March 23rd, 2007, 10:30 PM
Well, nobody really knows about mad cow.:D

But you're right, we do put a ton of faith into these companies, which is why I emailed all the ones we talk about most here asking them not to wait for tests and things and to be honest and put our animals first... I posted it here: :o (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38162) (hijacked rainbow's thread a little, sorry rainbow).

It is a huge concern. Sure a lot of people are putting it on wheat and are going about it as if their kibbs are immune, but not everybody isn't worried....;)

wdawson
March 23rd, 2007, 10:47 PM
i think that all the companies should take a sample from every new shipment they get....be it the meat.grains,vegies...ect they can list all the %'s so they must have labs that test these things.

i think you will see more of these problems.it comes from the companies makin money..how much do they make selling food to the grocery store,when they sell a can for less than a buck:rolleyes:

Prin
March 23rd, 2007, 10:51 PM
According to the "Good Manufacturing Processes", they are supposed to take samples of everything at every step.:o

erykah1310
March 23rd, 2007, 10:55 PM
How much QC can a company have if the product is being sold for $5 per 50 lbs though... (bit of an extreme but not really)
I mean really, lower prices are a deal right??? Obviously steps are overlooked.

But back to my main point, any food can be contaminated.:shrug:

rainbow
March 23rd, 2007, 10:59 PM
According to the "Good Manufacturing Processes", they are supposed to take samples of everything at every step.:o

And, we can only hope they do so. :fingerscr

But you're right, we do put a ton of faith into these companies, which is why I emailed all the ones we talk about most here asking them not to wait for tests and things and to be honest and put our animals first... I posted it here: (hijacked rainbow's thread a little, sorry rainbow).

No problem. :D Did you get answers yet? :fingerscr

rainbow
March 23rd, 2007, 11:02 PM
How much QC can a company have if the product is being sold for $5 per 50 lbs though... (bit of an extreme but not really)
I mean really, lower prices are a deal right??? Obviously steps are overlooked.

But back to my main point, any food can be contaminated.:shrug:

That's why it's better to feed a food from a more reputable company. :)

Yes, ANY food can be contaminated and it's all because of human error. :sad:

Prin
March 23rd, 2007, 11:02 PM
Yeah, click on my :o smilie in that post.;)

wmarcello
March 23rd, 2007, 11:55 PM

I think the problem in this case was that the ingredient they were looking for was way out of the ordinary. Even after the recall hit the news, it still took them days to find out the source, and I can pretty much guarantee that they were testing like crazy.

That said, I agree, there should be measures in place to make sure something like this never, ever happens. Never.

gypsy_girl
March 24th, 2007, 12:45 AM
I hear ya guys, but I don;t think this is related just to pet food... Have you SEEN the FDA recall page??? It it full of recalled human foods.
And just today I found out my favourite toothpaste Tom's of Maine fennel is owned by Colgate, so I wonder how/where my "natural" toothpaste is being made.

Peepmouse
March 24th, 2007, 01:30 AM
You're right. With the Diamond recall, it was a toxin specific to the grains, and therefore was limited to the grains for sure. This isn't a grain thing. They probably guessed it was wheat because the foods that haven't killed animals have no wheat, but it's rat poison. You can put rat poison anywhere.

I was reading on MSN today that the chemicals found in rat poison are being used as a pesticide on wheat fields in China, which is where the wheat came from for the MENU cat/dog foods. Not sure though if that covers all the foods that are included in this huge scare.

Prin
March 24th, 2007, 01:33 AM
But would that imply all wheat from China is the same? I wonder how many companies use wheat from China...:o

rainbow
March 24th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Arrrgh....this buying from another country that has questionable safety measures makes me so mad. If I buy food from another country I always wash it really well before using. :o

kc567567
March 24th, 2007, 11:33 AM
That's why it's better to feed a food from a more reputable company.....ANY food can be contaminated and it's all because of human error. :sad:

Sadly i considered Science Diet (SD) to be a "better" company .... not a "lets re-label someone else’s generic" company .... a miscalculation on my part. Hopefully "Nero's" demise last December was unrelated. SD claims the dry was unaffected and the wet in Canada was different .... i would like to believe them.

Still I personally find SD’s wet product deceitful ,,,,, I hope a class action in the USA punishes them.

KC