Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Groomers

kmjx65
March 23rd, 2007, 09:29 PM
How does one judge how good a groomer is?

Does anyone know of any good groomers in Seatte? Thanks!

sissani
March 23rd, 2007, 10:09 PM
I used to be a groomer - there is a certification a groomer can get to be classified as a "professional" but really its not required. Anyone can go through training and graduate to groomer status.

Ask how long they have been grooming, and more importantly, how many of their customers are repeats or regulars. The more regulars they have, the better. Can also ask if they have ever worked at any events (dog shows, etc.).

Dobb
March 24th, 2007, 06:57 AM
I ask if I can stay and watch,,some will not let you, so I go elsewhere. The one we have now is great, we stay and watch if we want and she shows us some of the tricks of the trade and explains everything to us.
Later Dobb

mummummum
March 24th, 2007, 03:26 PM
There are good and bad that's for certain. Although I can't help you on the Seattle thing I will tell you why I like my groomer.

1/ At the initial visit, she had me fill out an "application/ questionnaire" form which asked me a whole lot about my dog's interests, health, medical conditions, personality, quirks ~ you get the idea. She specifically stated in her form that she does not use sedation unless the animal's veterinarian was prepared to state in writing that is required or recommended because of the animal's health or extreme behaviour. The fact that she works out of my Vets office means that they have all my ER #'s along with my NOK but she asks it's anyway. I'm a real fan of due diligence so that impresses me.

2/ An interview followed where she met me and my dog(s) in the waiting area, spoke to me in depth about my ansers about my "application/ questionnaire". As important as her questions and my answers were to her, I could also tell that she was watching my interactions with my dog(s) and finding small but sure ways to introduce herself until the dog in question ( I have 3) was entirely comfortable in her presence if not enthralled ~ without the use of food as a lure.

3/ I get a report card on their behaviour during their session, the state of their fur and skin, teeth and nails. And she doesn't hesitate to call it like it is but, does so kindly and respectfully. She also notes any lumps and bumps and other health conditions and whether a Vet check is needed.

4/ She understands that grooming is not my strong suit and is never condescending or judges about the odd tat in the armpit and the long nails in the winter. She calls me and reminds me that "it's time". When I bring them in she tells me exactly what she can and cannot do. And believe me, after a couple of hard weeks of camping/ portaging canoes in the rough during major mud and burrs, I've wondered if there wouldn't be a shave-to-the-skin... she always surprizes me. And importantly, she always trims them in a way that is reflective of their primary breed characteristic but in a way that suits their body shape and their activity level.

5/ After-care interview. She goes over any concerns she or I might have about, really, anything ~ behaviour, flexibility, skin condition, lumps & bumps.

6/ She is so....serene. I trust her completely. And she does an absolutely amazing job with all three of my moppets. They look "Best of Designer Breed" :laughing: ever time.

7/ The moppets (who, just to avoid confusion about "moppets" are NOT small dogs and all weigh about 300 pounds collectively)) are happy and relaxed and preening their new look when they come down.

So, for anyone shopping for a groomer or thinking about becoming one... there you go. That's why I like Clare.

kmjx65
March 30th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks for all your answers and suggestions for what to look for.