Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need advice before we go to the shelter

joeysmama
March 23rd, 2007, 08:23 PM
My husband came home from Petgoods tonight talking about a dog they had pictured there. His name is Maynard and he's a German Shepherd mix. He's at the local shelter which was, of course, closed by then. I left a message with our number. They're open tomorrow 11 - 6.

He was all starry eyed over this guy and wants to take a look. I tried to look him up on petfinder but he wasn't there. I think he may already have been adopted. But we want to go take a peek anyway.

Here's my question.

We think that it makes sense to take Cooper with us to meet any new doggies. Is that a good idea or not? Could he be potentially exposed to something there? He's obviously up to date on all shots etc but is there something I don't know about taking him with us to the shelter?

Wish me luck. I know if we go we won't come home empty handed. So maybe we should discipline ourselves? Or at least wait until after Easter? We're going away next weekend and will be gone the entire day on Easter. Should we not tempt ourselves before then??

AAAAGGHH !

Someone please make up my mind for me.:o

RolandsMom
March 23rd, 2007, 08:30 PM
oh! lucky lucky you! do what you feel is right (about waiting or going tomorrow):thumbs up :D :goodvibes: . some lucky pooch is going to get a loving home and a buddy! yay!!

Frenchy
March 23rd, 2007, 08:31 PM
We think that it makes sense to take Cooper with us to meet any new doggies. Is that a good idea or not? Could he be potentially exposed to something there?

You MUST bring Cooper, all the family hase to be there when you meet a new doggy, everyone must be ok with the newbie :D that's how it works with rescues. You may ask the shelter is there's not a health "scare" right now , I went to one (shelter) not long ago and petted a dog who had parvo, had to wash my hands before I went home. So I wouldn't have one of my dogs near the place. But it was a special case. As for the waiting part, are you ready to adopt ? If so, go ahead, who knows, the perfect dog for your family may get euthanized if you wait. :sad: I'd say go see, you can come back home empty handed and go back some other times too. Keep us posted !

Prin
March 23rd, 2007, 10:35 PM
Good luck! :goodvibes:

CyberKitten
March 24th, 2007, 01:01 AM
The only thing I'd worry about is to make sure this dog at the shelter has had all his vaccinations and is out of isolation (do they do that so they do not have dogs with illnesses amg those who have been cared for by a vet and are ready to go?) Just checking since I know of someone who did bring her cat to "meet" her possible new sib and the cat developed whatever illness the kitten had (It was contagious - this was at the pound and they are not that great about that stuff) and I am on my soapbox about that now!

If all is OK, by all means, bring your pup and hopefully, they'll become buddies!!

angeldogs
March 24th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Just wanted to say good luck:fingerscr :goodvibes:

Loves Labs
March 24th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Good luck, how exciting! :dog: :pawprint: :pawprint:

joeysmama
March 24th, 2007, 03:05 PM
They're closed today for some reason. I think we might take a ride over tomorrow though. We'll see. For some reason this girl makes me feel like she would be a good fit.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8030906

I just love her big old hound dog ears. :)

LynLyn
March 24th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Good Luck!!!:fingerscr

Frenchy
March 24th, 2007, 04:53 PM
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8030906

I just love her big old hound dog ears. :)

ooohhh yes she's a beauty ! :thumbs up I love the pic where she's having her neck scratch :lovestruck:

chico2
March 24th, 2007, 04:55 PM
JM,she looks really sweet and will be lucky to come to your house...:fingerscr that everything works out :fingerscr

rainbow
March 24th, 2007, 06:50 PM
She's really cute....love the hound ears. :cloud9: Good luck tomorrow. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Furbaby Momma
March 24th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Melinda is adorable, I hope the vist goes well for all of you Joeysmomma. :cloud9:

katwoman
March 25th, 2007, 06:48 AM
hello,good luck joesmama:fingerscr :fingerscr :thumbs up :D :D

joeysmama
March 25th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I called them and they said that Maynard has been adopted and there is an adoption application on Melinda but as of today she is still there. They're open again on Tuesday so I'll see what happens with the application. If I can't have Melinda though I think I'm going to wait until my daughter comes home for the summer so she can bond with the newcomer also.

We took Cooper for a long walk this afternoon and it was such a beautiful day here today that everyone was out with their dogs. Aside from his little girlfriend Scout on the next block he is very afraid of most dogs. He wants to go say hi but the minute the other dog is interested he's trying to hide behind me or climb over my shoulder. (Scout is the same size and pretty submissive so he's always happy to see her.)

The shepherd around the corner is very sweet and friendly but too energetic for Coop. And we met two poodles. One was a total suck and the other tried to take a bite out of my poor boy.:frustrated:

Winston
March 26th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Its too bad you are not near Hamilton.....Look at this cutie!

Cindy

Frenchy
March 26th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Sorry Joeysmama, the way you describe Joey, you need to look at older, submissive dogs. One will come your way when the time is right.

joeysmama
March 26th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Winston, those are beautiful babies !! Love those soulful eyes.

Yes Frenchy I think you're right. That's why I though Melinda might be such a good fit. We need a calm lovey around here.

I hope you're right and the right dog comes along. :fingerscr

Frenchy
March 26th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I hope you're right and the right dog comes along. :fingerscr

I would have to say yes, unfortunatly :sad: There's so many dogs in shelters/pounds/spcas/rescues. I know there's rescues for older dogs only. And if I ever win the lotto, I'll have my own older doggies rescue (there's none here in Quebec) and I could send one your way :thumbs up I applied to adopt a dog this week end too, but it didn't fit...