Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question For a Friend about the Pitbull Ban

Kocela
March 23rd, 2007, 06:49 PM
Hi all, I have a question to ask on behalf of my friend who just lost his dog.

He adopted a dog from a Stratford ON shelter 1 year ago and was told it was a boxer cross. Unfortunately last night his dog escaped from his yard well it was let out by his kid to go to the washroom. His son had forgot to lock the gate :sad:

He was out all night looking for it. However the Animal Care and Control Picked it up before he found it. They deemed that the dog was part pit bull and are refusing to release it to him. The dog was registered and completely up to date on shots.

Needless to say he is very upset and trying to figure out what he can do he only has i week before his dog is put down. He has contacted his lawyer and speaking with him about his options.

But i was just wondering if anyone on here had any ideas on what he could do. Any response would be greatly appreciated. :fingerscr

Thanks.

Saradog
March 23rd, 2007, 06:54 PM
Get a lawyer. A gentleman in Ottawa named Terry Green of Green and Vespry has been handling a lot of cases.

babyrocky1
March 23rd, 2007, 07:04 PM
Good Suggestion Saradog, also is the Saving Lily site still going on??? There should be info there too.

babyrocky1
March 23rd, 2007, 07:18 PM
unfortunately it looks as if your friend might be the first to test out this n ew ruling! It looks as if it will be harder for them to prove hes a pit bull now but you can read what weve just read and try and figure it out! Maybe your friends lawer could consult with Green and Vespry as they have definately handled these before and will probably already be analysing what has happened today.

Kocela
March 23rd, 2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the replys...

I have read over the Ont. pitbull ban upheld by court thread

Any one that can shed some light on what this means for me ??

The court did find fault with two provisions of the legislation.

In the first instance, it didnít accept that pitbull terriers (as opposed to purebred pitbulls) be subject to the ban.

In the second, it said it wasnít acceptable for bylaw enforcement officers going after violators to go to court armed only with a veterinarianís signed document stating the animal involved is a pit bull. In the future, such expert testimony will have to be presented in person.
:shrug:

Saradog
March 23rd, 2007, 08:26 PM
Considering the short time frame and that the dog's life might be in the balance, I wouldn't worry about interpreting the decision, just get in touch with a lawyer and get any possible defence going.

seeker
March 23rd, 2007, 08:28 PM
Only a lawyer will have a real sense of what the new ruling means . Mr Green has been successful in the past with these cases and do not quote me but I think the ruling today will only help us as far as the crown being able to ID the dog.Please fight this ,no dog deserves to die just because it has been born a mix breed.

Schwinn
March 27th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I agree, you'll need a lawyer for this. But if you're asking for a layman's opinion, I would say that the ruling means your friend's dog is not subject to the same rules and penalties.

seeker
March 27th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I agree, you'll need a lawyer for this. But if you're asking for a layman's opinion, I would say that the ruling means your friend's dog is not subject to the same rules and penalties.

I think you are right Schinn .Right now it looks as if the judge's ruling pretty much exempts mixed breed dogs from the law .Ironically only the purebreds and showdogs are subject to it . Kinda sheds a bit more light as to how stupid this law and the :clown: that drafted it is.For the 3 people in Ontario that hadn't figured it out already.