Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat pee on clothing

Karmaj
March 23rd, 2007, 05:26 PM
Hi everyone. My cat has recently peed on a pile of my clothes. I was wondering what I should do to get that cat urine smell out. Or if it stay's permenant. She has done this before to some towels which I ended up throwning away after I washed them in hot water with normal detergent. Hm... Any requests on what I should use? And does anybody have idea's for why she peed in the first place? I keep her litter box clean, so I don't think it's that. Write back please, Thanks. :confused: :shrug:

Stacer
March 23rd, 2007, 05:36 PM
The reason your cat might be peeing on your cloths could be due to a urinary infection. The cat will associate the pain of peeing with her litterbox and try peeing elsewhere in the hopes that it won't be painful. You really should bring her to the vet to rule this out, urinary infections can be deadly to cats if left untreated.

To get the smell out you need to buy an enzyme cleaner such as Nature's Miracle which can be bought at most pet supply stores. I usually pray in directly on my clothes where the cat has peed and will soak it in some water with the enzyme cleaner in it as well. Then when I wash it I add several cups of vinegar to the load and I usually wash it in cold water so the smell doesn't set in. Sometimes I've had to do this process a couple times to get the smell out. I find that the fresher the pee is, the easier the smell comes out.

Dracko
March 23rd, 2007, 08:21 PM
The only time I've had a cat pee on my things was when they were ill. That was the first sign. The first had the start of kidney disease at 17 and the other had pancreatic cancer at 18. If it is a younger cat most likely it is a urinary tract infection like Stacer said. In the meantime I'd suggest not leaving anything on the floor and putting a plastic sheet on your bed. ;)

glitterless
March 24th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Is she spayed? How old is she? A lot of unspayed femaled spray like male cats when they're in heat. Has anything new happened in your home? A new person or animal?

I find that a regular cycle in the washing machine works. Vinegar is good too, but it might not even be necessary.

dtbmnec
March 24th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Random question...(and minor threadjack :sorry: )

Dart recently peed (yes peed, not sprayed) on some of my clothing because the litter box was too stinky...no infections since after we've cleaned the boxes he's happily peed/pooped in them since then. Yeah my bad on not cleaning them or not getting my roomate to clean them. :sick:

As for most of the clothing.....hmmm haven't thought of that yet.....cleaning them real well is going to be a pain. I can wash them but I dunno about de-enzymer. Don't have the $$ for the de-enzymer so this could be fun.....

Now my question is this....Dart peed on something that needs to be dry cleaned....in fact he peed on the top part of my business suit (if nothing else he's got good taste ;))....will the dry cleaning stuff (whatever it is they use) take it out just fine? Or will I have to toss them some extra money to put it through "special treatment" kinda thing? (Funny part is that I had to have it dry cleaned anyway cuz it was just plain old dirty...suppose I need to give him credit for that one in an ironic kind of way LOL)

Megan

clm
March 24th, 2007, 03:42 AM
My parents used to have a cat (female), who was spayed, but loved to pee on cloths if left around in a pile on the floor. She was perfectly healthy, lived to be almost 30 . Her litter box was always kept clean. Didn't matter, her favorite place to pee was a pile of cloths if given the chance. We soon learned not to leave any cloths in a pile on the floor.
We never found a way to get rid of the smell once the deed was done.
God I loved that cat, she was a pure white part persian stray that I had talked them into adopting when I was 11, she was a real girly cat, very feminine and so pretty.

Cindy

glitterless
March 24th, 2007, 04:00 AM
I wonder if some urine smells stronger than other urine. I swear that once washed, my stuff is fine.. but then again, maybe I'm just so used to the smell because I live with so many cats :yuck:

I would think that dry cleaning would remove the smell, Megan, but you might want to warn the dry cleaner's when dropping off your suit. How embarrassing, right?

Oh well.. I guess this is the price that we pay for having pets in our lives!

krdahmer
March 24th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I found that just the new lemon scented ultra 3x concentrated sunlight did the job, I poured a bit right on the stain and used cold water to wash in.

At the apartment Windy was peeing on the bed quite frequently, turned out to be behavioural not medical... I went and got a good matress cover and it stopped. We got the bed at the auction so she may have smelled something on it we couldn't. :shrug: Females are territorial too.

Accidents happen...it's like havin kids. A little pee here, a little puke there... and poop everywhere (my long haired are bad for dropping cling ons all around the house :yuck: ).

Karmaj
March 26th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone! And yes my cat is spayed.. and she is 1 year and 7 months old, she hasn't had any changes lately. I think I should just keep the dirty clothes off the floor. I will try using a little vinegar. Also, online I've talked to a few other people who say "Natures Miracle" laundry detergent from the pet store works 100%. So I'll try that too! :fingerscr

Has anybody else tried store bought products that work??

Quins-mum
March 26th, 2007, 07:32 PM
The only time I've had a cat pee on my things was when they were ill. That was the first sign.

It was how I found out that Lex was Diabetic...always peeing on towels