Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Muddy Spring: what do you do to entertain them?

Prin
March 23rd, 2007, 06:16 PM
I'm just wondering what everybody does to keep their doggies entertained in the spring...

For mine, the dog park is off limits till it thaws, the river ice is too thin to walk on and walking on the street just gets so dull and boring with the big snowbanks on either side making us literally walk in the street....:o

So what do you do to clean out their energy reserves?

Frenchy
March 23rd, 2007, 06:42 PM
I tie a stick to their heads and put a carot at the end :D I do walk them but not everyday, the soya fields are muuudddyy, so much you have problems walking.I have a bucket of water waiting for us on the patio, and many towels. If I only have 2 dogs (like the first spring I was here) I got home from work, change and drove 10 kms to a gravel road near here to walk them,still dirty but not so muddy.

technodoll
March 23rd, 2007, 07:20 PM
glad to see i'm not the only one in this dilemma! my car is SO FREAKING dirty and muddy inside: i give up. you can't go anywhere "fun" that isn't sopping muddy, ugghh, dirt dirt dirt... the kids today only got a 15-minute stroll in the field before i gave up, i'll take them for a nice walk in the neighborhood later on. at least the sidewalks are relatively dry... :frustrated:

mafiaprincess
March 23rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
We romped in the muddy park, ran in the tennis court after a ball, and practiced heeling in the lacrosse box, to come home wipe off feet and make Cider dry in the kitchen...

I finally have time to do stuff with Cider, it's just so gross outside I really don't want to. We've been working on Ob inside.. but it's not really challenging.. Lot of indoor weave poles too...

She is tired right now, but I feel I'm not doing enough for her..

wdawson
March 23rd, 2007, 07:50 PM
during the week its sidewalks for us....well beathoven goes out with his grandfather along a gravel path along a hydro right of way 2-3 times aday,they provide daycare for him during the week...on the weekend i load them in my work truck and head to the conservation areas .......mud is usually dry when we get home....and besides i have a carpet and upholstry cleaning company....no mud on my carpets...:D

fosterpat
March 23rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
For me this is the worst time of the year to foster puppies. They are either to young or too many to walk and they just love to roll around and tumble in the mud/snow/puddle. Right now I have 3 foster puppies + my 2 dogs. Like Frenchy I just keep some water and towells on hand to clean them up before coming in the house. Can't wait for everything to become dry again!

Frenchy
March 23rd, 2007, 10:27 PM
Right now I have 3 foster puppies + my 2 dogs.

:eek: I saw the puppies on your website :cloud9:

erykah1310
March 23rd, 2007, 10:49 PM
I just let em rip:shrug: mud dries to dirt, and easily swept and mopped up, sure my dogs arent at their best right now.. but the mud cant last forever :D

Im also the person no one will allow to watch their kids if it has recently rained too... puddles are fun to jump in! Im sorry, i enjoy it too. The way I see it, there are washing machienes for a reason.:shrug: :D

Frenchy
March 23rd, 2007, 10:53 PM
Well right now you would love my kitchen floor ! You know when you walk on ceramic tiles and feel the sand .... makes me think about the beach :laughing:

erykah1310
March 23rd, 2007, 10:57 PM
Meh... :shrug:

All bit and parcel of pet ownership. Cant sweat the small things in life, and dirt is only a temporary small thing IMO.
Life and death is seperated by a heartbeat, I really dont want to die and my last concern was the dogs bringing mud in the house.:shrug:
( I think im way too laid back sometimes :o )

Prin
March 23rd, 2007, 11:05 PM
The funny thing is I don't care about the dirt they bring into the house so much as the dirt they run in when they're outside... Does that make any sense? I don't like to see them play in mud.:o

hazelrunpack
March 23rd, 2007, 11:28 PM
We're surprisingly clean here so far this spring. The snow melted over just a few days and the sled run has enough of a slope to it so the water doesn't pool. Plus the hill faces south, which means sun for drying, and we've had a nice breeze to dry things out, too. :shrug:

Also, my babies are growing up :sad: They don't carry on like they used to, so they don't get as dirty... So sad...

At any rate, this year the Pack goes out for the normal self-exercise routine and comes in almost spankin' clean :thumbs up :D Sure can't kick about that!

~michelle~
March 23rd, 2007, 11:30 PM
hmm we went to the dog park to let them play in the mud :) they had sooo much fun, and loved it but mostly it will be sidewalk walks for them

One Beagle Girl
March 24th, 2007, 09:08 AM
There is one place where I won't take him right now, 'cause it's a mud pit. That said, I take him everywhere else and try not to worry about mud. I use Earthbath wipes to clean up and they work really well. Sometimes though, he he has to go straight into the tub when we get home.

I'm lucky my little hairy son is short-haired, no undercoat, and only 22 lbs. It makes clean up a little easier. :laughing:

Loves Labs
March 24th, 2007, 09:41 AM
We are sticking to loooong walks on the sidewalks right now....its boring, but any chance they get they are rolling in the mud :yell:

We have a big fenced in backyard with grass. When we let the maniacs out they, of course, run wild and wrestle, etc. etc. I don't mindthe mess, but I have noticed that since it is so soggy that large chunks of grass are being completely ripped up....like the size of a kitchen table. Does anyone else have this problem? Is our grass going to be completely ruined? I don't particularly mind...it is just that it is our first house :o and we were wondering if they keep this up will we have to re-sod it?

hazelrunpack
March 24th, 2007, 10:09 AM
We have a big fenced in backyard with grass. When we let the maniacs out they, of course, run wild and wrestle, etc. etc. I don't mindthe mess, but I have noticed that since it is so soggy that large chunks of grass are being completely ripped up....like the size of a kitchen table. Does anyone else have this problem? Is our grass going to be completely ruined? I don't particularly mind...it is just that it is our first house and we were wondering if they keep this up will we have to re-sod it?

(:sorry: Slightly :offtopic: for a bit...) he he he Oh, ya! I can relate! Only we usually had smaller, dinner-plate-size divots. And you will mind--next spring--if your grass doesn't recover much this summer...cuz there'll be even more mud! :p But once the ground dries up this spring the size of the chunks will decrease...and if you can green up your grass and make it really lush, that'll help.

We had 3 dogs under the age of 2 running around in a 50 x 75 foot backyard (hmmmm...that's about 16 m x 23 m or some such in "Canadian" :o ) for a year. When we moved, we had to replace the chewed up trees and bushes, relandscape and reseed the whole lawn before we put the place on the market! :eek:

Once we moved out here to a bigger yard, though, we discovered a trick: spot-seeding. This summer, every couple of weeks go out and spot seed your yard. Get some sections of low (we usually get 29-inch high stuff), cheap, decorative (they won't keep the dogs out, just minimize traffic) folding 'garden' fencing--you can get a 10 yard section for under $10 as I recall. Rough up the bare spot, throw a handful of grass seed on it, and sprinkle lightly with topsoil. Water lightly three times a day. Make sure the area you fence is small enough to make it an unattractive and uninteresting place for the dogs to jump into. After about 3 weeks, the new grass is lush enough to stand up to a little traffic and you can move your fence to a new spot. We usually have 5 or 6 fences in use at a time. But it works...everywhere except under the pines where the grass will never grow--that spot is always going to be muddy! :frustrated:

Oh, and when you mow--don't mow too short--you have to mow more often because it gets out of hand faster, but it also stands up to paws better :thumbs up

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming... :o

TeriM
March 24th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Good tip Hazel :thumbs up . We are gonna put a temporary fence (snow fencing) to cut off a big part of our back yard so we can lime and re-seed it and give it a chance to recover. Our dogs don't rough play together there but Lucy is one of those "scratchers" after she poops and rips up all the grass :frustrated: plus we have lots of dead pee spots.

We have mud pretty much all winter long here. I walk mostly on trails in the area and aim for a clean creek on the way back to get the worst of it off (only good thing about water dogs is that sometimes you can convince them that clean water is also good). If it is too bad when we get back then out comes the hose which Lucy hates but Riley thinks is great fun.

LynLyn
March 24th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I sit at the top of the stairs and throw the ball down to the bottom. We play fetch for 10 to 20 minutes a couple times a day. This tires him out nicely.

Frenchy
March 24th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I installed the hose outside today, forget about the bucket and towells, I need major rinsing device :laughing: This is where we have to walk , at least to go to the trail in the wood where it's not as muddy as this :eek:

Loves Labs
March 24th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the advice hazelrunpack...I will relay the message to the man of the house...he's tackles the outdoor work...I just play with the dogs out there :laughing:

This week is forecasted to be warm - I bet you we are in for a real mess!!!

angeldogs
March 25th, 2007, 02:46 AM
mine gets muddy back yard,muddy dog park.and mud puddles on walks.kids and mud.skin and fur.my truck has mud on the inside.you can tell just by looking in that there are dogs at home.were off to the dog park later today.

angeldogs
March 25th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Frenchy my boy would be in heaven in that field of mud.:D
He knows it would be shower time when he gets home

erykah1310
March 25th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Frenchy.... When did you come by my house??:shrug: :D
I swear that is a picture of the field here!

One thing I have to add though, the creek is DEFINATLY off limits right now! But there is no problem keeping them away from it.

Frenchy
March 25th, 2007, 11:22 AM
One thing I have to add though, the creek is DEFINATLY off limits right now! .

Daisy would have LOVE the creek ! I don't know why I bothered with only a bucket of water for the last 2 spring :confused: So much easier just to hose them down (not completely, just paws/legs and belly) :shrug: We got snow again last night, but I know what hidding under it :evil:

mummummum
March 25th, 2007, 01:37 PM
If you can't beat 'em ~ join 'em.:laughing:

mafiaprincess
March 25th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Looks like you stole my jeans! Today we have horse poop and mud all in one on dog, car and me...

x.l.r.8
March 25th, 2007, 09:46 PM
We were doing well but I'm turning over the fields this week so any clear areas are going to be mud bogs. We are being passive about it and looking for a industrial carpet cleaner and just worry about the mess when it happens.
Neither is bothered about water so I can always throw them in the shower to rinse them down, the next few weeks will probably be bad but we have a great board walk that might save us for a while.

technodoll
March 25th, 2007, 09:50 PM
he he! awesome pants Mum3! :D

i broke down last night and both dogs got a bath, i couldn't take the crud anymore. boy are they ever splendid today :cloud9: it'll probably last less than two days. grrrr. :frustrated:

mummummum
March 25th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Looks like you stole my jeans! Today we have horse poop and mud all in one on dog, car and me...

Prove it with pix there gally-wag. :laughing:

mummummum
March 25th, 2007, 09:55 PM
he he! awesome pants Mum3! :D

i broke down last night and both dogs got a bath, i couldn't take the crud anymore. boy are they ever splendid today :cloud9: it'll probably last less than two days. grrrr. :frustrated:

Why thank you Techno...I like to dress for success :laughing: ! I know what you mean about the crud. I not only had to change the sheets last night, I had to VACUUM the bed there was so much sand on it, in it, around it...:eek:

mafiaprincess
March 25th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Car still looks gross.. The dirt off Cider is also in my bed, and my nasty hoodie with paw prints made it into the washer, sorry.

I did have to sweep out my bed 2 nights ago though.. that was mighty special, lmao.

lt_danish
March 26th, 2007, 06:02 AM
We don't really have to wait for snow to thaw around here. We just trek right on through the muddy grassy areas. I just have to spend more time cleaning off the paws and belly when we get back home, or a quick rinse off in the tub.
Brighton is a wee bit of a fussy princess so she avoids mud and puddles and rain if she can.