Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Clipping nails

Missy
April 5th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Just had a thought - before I try to give Molly that bath I need to clip her nails. The bath, well that's painful enough but whoa - this girl will not tolerate her nails being cut.

Everytime I have to clip her nails it literally takes me about four or five days since I can only ever get to do one or two nails at a time before we have to call a truce (i.e. mommy gives up).

Again, I don't know how to fix this problem and I feel like I have tried everything. I have had her get used to me touching her paws, and having the clipper touch her paws, given her treats during to distract her and so on, carefully followed all the advice care of Dr. Coren but yet, still it ends in such a disaster.

She's only 30 pounds but I just can't find a way to calm her enough to get her to let me do it without putting her in a vice-grip which will only traumatize her.

Is this normal behaviour? Am I going to have to take her to the vet all the time just to have her nails clipped?

Missy
April 5th, 2004, 06:26 PM
This is what Molly thinks about getting her nails clipped :p

Luba
April 5th, 2004, 06:45 PM
You know Dr. Coren had a lab that looks like yours on his show the other day with the same problem!!

Make a map of the paws front and back and where the nails and dew claws are...and do only one nail each sitting...! Clip only a little bit then hugs and praise and a treat.

After about a week you'll have all nails done!

AND you should to it AFTER the bath, the nails WILL be softer!!

WINK WINK!!

You may get a couple done instead of just one...then the next time take a warm cloth and hold it on the nails for a few mins, to soften them and clip clip!! You don't wanna bath evertime u wanna trim the nails. REMEMBER only a little bit!!

AND make sure your blade in your clipper is sharp if its dull it will rip and twist the nail making it painful!

Spoiled
April 5th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Don't clip the nails on an angle, because that can be painful. What I usualy do with my dog, is I get out some treats and give him a treat after every nail. At the end he usualy gets a really good large treat! What I find is that the back feet don't need clipping as often.