Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Who do I fix?

dollymf
March 23rd, 2007, 08:35 AM
Hi I am new to this site. So please bear with me. I have always had dogs as my pets, even had a try at breeding. Always had a female only. Now I have an 8 year old dalmation Chips. A neighbour was giving away cocker spaniel, which I accepted as I always wanted to have one and he was coming to me free on a plate! One year old and you can guess- he goes crazy when chips is in coming into heat and marks all around the house, and also drives chips crazy as he is always sniffing at her or trying to mount her. So If i nuter him what will be the results? will he stop completly sniffing, mounting and pestering her? Will it lessen? how will it change with the operation? Help please, my poor girl is going crazy with the onslaught of attention and getting so bad tempered its not funny. Let me know any experiences that may help. Thank you
dolly

jessi76
March 23rd, 2007, 08:48 AM
this is a pro spay and neuter board. chances are you will get responses such as what I'm about to say.....

Spay and neuter BOTH dogs.

dollymf
March 23rd, 2007, 08:54 AM
Wouldnt eight years be rather old for a operation?

clm
March 23rd, 2007, 08:57 AM
As long as the dog is in good health it shouldn't be an issue. I would fix both dogs.

Cindy

mummummum
March 23rd, 2007, 09:34 AM
Welcome to the board, we are very pro spay and neutering not only because we believe there are far too many animals killed becasue they are unwanted ~ it is actually better for your female dog's health to BE spayed. Please, please, please have them both done.

Purpledomino
March 23rd, 2007, 10:26 AM
Alter both dogs asap. This is a no-brainer...both you and your dogs will be happier and healthier. Better sooner than later. :thumbs up

One Beagle Girl
March 23rd, 2007, 10:40 AM
I agree with everyone - spay and neuter. It will be best for all of you. :)

Hunter's_owner
March 23rd, 2007, 10:59 AM
Yep, another vote from me to spay and neuter both:thumbs up

cpietra16
March 23rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
I too would fix both of them, however I don't know the cost or what is involved in India....if you only had the chance to fix one would fix the girl...

Spirit
March 23rd, 2007, 02:31 PM
Neutering/spaying greatly decreases the risk of uterine/ovarian or prostate cancer, and unless your dog is having regular ejaculation (can I say there here?), he's at high risk. Unneutered males are also a higher risk than females (I believe).

Definitely neuter if you're not breeding on a regular basis.

rainbow
March 23rd, 2007, 03:02 PM
Definitely spay and neuter them both for health reasons.

clm
March 23rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
I understand that neutering a male actually totally eliminates the risk of prostate cancer. If you can do both, that's the way to go for sure.

Cindy

normag
March 23rd, 2007, 05:55 PM
I agree with all of the above get them both done. for there sake and yours.

lt_danish
March 24th, 2007, 02:43 AM
Do both! Yup, I definatly agree with all the others above me. If you have to do one at a time due to cost thats ok. But take both in eventually.

dollymf
March 24th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Thank you every one. I think I knew all the time I would have to do both, but was just trying to get an over-all view from dual dog owners against my vets who straight away recommends fixing, which will cost a bomb. Will keep all of you updated on how it goes. Hi from Chips (she a dalamation) and Zizou (cocker spanial; yes he does head-butt!)Dolly

angeldogs
March 24th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Welcome to the board.i would get both fixed.and some pics would be great also.:thumbs up

glitterless
March 24th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Welcome :)

I also recommend at least neutering your male first. That way you won't have to worry about him running around and impregnating other bitches that aren't spayed. Good luck with them!

LynLyn
March 24th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Another vote here for spay and neuter both pets!

joeysmama
March 25th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Who do I fix?

Everyone;)

rainbow
March 25th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Thank you every one. I think I knew all the time I would have to do both, but was just trying to get an over-all view from dual dog owners against my vets who straight away recommends fixing, which will cost a bomb. Will keep all of you updated on how it goes. Hi from Chips (she a dalamation) and Zizou (cocker spanial; yes he does head-butt!)Dolly

Good luck :fingerscr :goodvibes: and please keep us posted. :fingerscr Also, we'd love to see pics of Chips ans Zizou. :D

glasslass
March 25th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Another "fix both" vote.

dollymf
April 7th, 2007, 02:20 AM
If any one has missed me(ha ha) its because I have been reduced to nail biting and much praying to make a right decision. However given that Chips (F) had a medical problem which might have become a disaster (she bleeds non-surgically)I nutered Zizou. I took him to my local vet as against the hospital(afraid of tick infestations and resulting tic fever) It took around an hour( longer to shave him so much of fur everywhere) Since she used gas for the op. I took him home immediately. Sent Chips off to my sisters (Chips was in heat and was standing for him! such perfect timing) Fortunately my sis is my younger sibling so I can pull rank(ha ha) she has never baby sat Chips who is a watch dog and one women(or so I thought alas any one women will do for her!) Zizou is fine right now, I have to carry him down the stairs thrice a day for him to crap. Medicines are a horrible time- am reduced to pounding and mixing all into a syringe and shooting it down his mouth. But he is not happy and spits. Today is the third day and I have allowed a gentle walk on my terrace to the flat. Some more questions: medications for few more days so some suggestions? Chips in heat when should I get her back at the earliest? Thanks for the adivce. When I figure out how to post a pix I will do it as it is I spend time just getting into this forum. love dolly

Prin
April 7th, 2007, 07:56 PM
What are the medications for?

I have no idea when you should get your female back.. I've heard males can stay spermy for 2 months after being neutered... :o (Not sure though)

dollymf
April 8th, 2007, 11:13 AM
The medications is a generral antibiotic and a vitamin. Course is now completed and so no problems.

Brought chips in for a trial. No go he was going for her all the way and she is still standing so back to the pavallion she goes will try after two days. Yes he will be spermy for this cycle at least,so said the vet so seperation is still necessary.

Nancy39
April 8th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Well..I am new at this forum also....But, sure am glad I found it..I agree with everyone..Spay and neauter both...I know it's expensive..I'm on a rather low income, too, but can always try and tighten the belt, or ask a vet for payment plan...