Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What to do about irregular weeing

jackandcharlie
March 23rd, 2007, 02:29 AM
My dog Charlie is a very well trained Border-Collie. He has recently developed a tendency to urinate and defecate behind one of our (white) couches. He does this at irrgular intervals, around twice a week. Is there any way to stop this without a deterrent collar? :confused:

mummummum
March 23rd, 2007, 05:19 AM
When one of my dawgz behaves in a way that is out of character and repeats that behaviour without a ready explanation ie. being left in the house too long, got into some garbage, allergic reaction to food ~ my first step is always: rule out the physical with an overall check up by the Vet. There's no point in trying to modify a behviour if the problem is physical and you could be harming your dog by not seeking medical treatment for the malady.

mafiaprincess
March 23rd, 2007, 10:38 AM
How old is your dog?

jackandcharlie
March 23rd, 2007, 11:57 PM
Charlie is four and he has had a recent vert check-up that has given him a clean bill of health. He is not suffering from boredom as I am with him most of the day, he is given two walks a day and goes to the farm four days a week...any ideas? I have heard of placing bowls of fresh water where he wees, is that an old wives tale or effective?

mummummum
March 24th, 2007, 12:19 AM
As you don't say, I'll assume that Charlie had a full Vet check (samples taken, blood work done) after he began his whizzing and pooping behind the couch (but, if he was at the Vet before he started all this or if it was not a full check ~ I would suggest that you re-visit).

What are you using to clean the "it" spot ? Is it something that COMPLETELY removes all the odours from all affected surfaces ?

I've never heard of the bowls of water trick. Can't hurt to try ~ other than he may knock over the water. Other than that, make sure all "remains of the day" are obliterated. I think it's odd that he goes to the same place every time. How did you train him for bladder and bowel control as a puppy and how are you responding now ?