Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What would you do if?

Juhli
March 22nd, 2007, 07:26 PM
[SIZE="2"]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]
A neighbor has threatened to do something (but he didn't say what and I was too upset to ask what), if my cats don't stay out of his yard.

Now this man has 3 large outdoor dogs in his yard.

He claims my cats are killing the wild birds which he is finding in his yard.

Now I ask you, now that I've calmed down inside, would any cat go into a yard that has 3 large dogs in it?

I contacted the SPCA and told them of the incident with the neighbor .. they might contact him but I'm not sure.

Also, does anyone know how to go about getting a "cat sanctuary" started..

This small town only has a pound .. no SPCA .. and they kill unclaimed animals after 2 days .. they use a bullet to kill them .. which I think is so cruel!

heidiho
March 22nd, 2007, 07:49 PM
Its stuff like that which has my cat being indoors only,i dont know how hard it would be once they were used to going outside ,but i would not let them at this point,put them on a leash and walk em instead,no real great advice here,i dont really think they should be allowed to wander like that,because alot of people do not like when cats do go onto their property.

coppperbelle
March 22nd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Personally I would keep my cats inside or tied outside for their own safety. Honestly I don't blame your neighbor for being upset. My neighbors have cats that poop all over my lawn in my flower garden and get into my garbage. Nothing like your dog rolling in cat poop that the cat didn't bother to cover up. In the summer their cats will screech and fight and wake me up at night but if my dogs barked I would get a $300 fine.

While I do have two large dogs I often find cats in my backyard. They will sit on my fence and tease my dogs into a frenzy. There is a young cat that climbs my tree and then sits up there meowing. The tree hangs over the pool. One day I fear I am going to come home to a drowned cat. The cat sits up in the tree and meows incessantly driving my dogs nuts. I have a little pond in my backyard and keep fish in it. I often see cats fishing in my pond.

I think that the same rules that apply to dogs should apply to cats. I don't care that they are wild animals, so were dogs, they adapted.

happycats
March 22nd, 2007, 10:13 PM
I would keep my cat's inside, if I were you.
It's amazing how many people HATE cat's (especially ones that roam) I know my neighbor has threatened to mix anti-freeze and cat food, to keep strays off his property:sad: :mad: .
I know many of my neighbors hate cat's that spray their windows, dig in their gardens and kill the wild life, and really I can't say I blame them.
Why is it okay to let cats run free and destroy things, cause car accidents, poop in gardens, and possibly get killed by wildlife, angry neighbors, dogs or cars?
I think if you were a responsible cat owner, you would keep your cat's on your own property, and if you can't do that then keep them in the house.

CyberKitten
March 22nd, 2007, 11:27 PM
same advice- I have 4 cats , all indoor kitties, they go out on a leash or in a cat walker. Or travel with me on occasion but they are not allowed on anyone's property -unsupervised, not even their own!!!

There are too many nasty things that can happen and if I lived in a place like yours, that would be double!! Teach them to become indoor kitties,. They will love it - most cats do!!

Prin
March 22nd, 2007, 11:31 PM
Same here.. I have two big dogs and that doesn't stop the neighbors' cats from terrorizing my property. I don't know if you've noticed but when cats pee in one place, other cats pee there too and the smell!!! My god the SMELL! :yuck: :yuck:

Lukka'sma
March 22nd, 2007, 11:39 PM
We have a problem with the cats from next door also. They use my vegetable garden for a toilet and when we sit it the yard all we can smell is cat dirt. I have watched her cats doing their business in my flower garden too. They spray my basement windows as well.
I had two cats for 17 years, only loosing them two years ago but never did they go outside. I see nothing wrong with keeping your cats indoors.

Juhli
March 23rd, 2007, 01:46 AM
Ok .. well, I can see there is not much sympathy here ..nor any comments about how to go about setting up a legitimate cat sanctuary ..

A little more info here ..

These cats are a result of a feral cat that left her litter with me to look after ..however, it was several months before her litter allowed me to touch them .. by then 2 of the females were pregnant ..

Am living on a small pension .. and it was a hardship for me to have 6 cats spayed.

These cats are semi-wild .. keeping them indoors in my small place is not an option.

This is a small rural town I live in .. almost like being in a time warp living here.

The way this little town deals with abandoned and dogs and cats that people no longer want ... the pound keeper keeps them for 2 days .. or maybe less .. then he takes them out and takes out his gun and kills them ..

I'm not that cruel to allow that to happen to these cats that came into my life. I didn't go out there and get them from a pet store or from info from an ad in the newspaper .. that is someone adverstising to sell or give away cats.

I have 3 cat litter boxes outside ..and cat litter box inside .. these cats are well fed and healthy ..

So, you want to talk pollution? .. Look at what humanity has done and continues to do to the earth ..

My gawd! ... and some of you complain about some cat doo doo?

Did any of you see a documentary about sewage? .. No sewage system in the world even comes close to adequately make sewage enviromentally safe..

Think about it .. what goes into the toilet bowl .. down the garburators .. kitchen sink .. ends up in the sewage system .. All the pharmaceutical drugs people take end up in the sewage and back into the water and land ..

Look at what Industry has and continues to do to pollute the planet ..

I thought this site would be a good place to share valid concerns .. from what I've seen .. there is very little support from any of the replies .. so far ..

clm
March 23rd, 2007, 01:53 AM
Just because you didn't get the replies you like, don't jump all over the people on this board. You asked what people would do, and the answer is, if you want your cats to be safe, keep them as indoor cats. If you haven't got the means or the space or expertise to adopt or care for feral cats, then don't do it.

Cindy

Tommysmom
March 23rd, 2007, 01:57 AM
I don't know how you would go about setting up a sanctuary, but I do wish you the best of luck. I think it's great that you are trying to take care of these cats.

I do have to say though, that I agree with the other posters on this. I'm extremely allergic to cats, and there are several in my neighbourhood who run loose. They love sunning on my porch. I can't even put laundry out to dry on my deck in the summer as it comes in covered in cat hair. I also have one little darling who enjoys pooping on my stairs every day. I don't let my dog run free, and I clean up his poops - I deserve the same respect from other pet owners.

Nobody intends to sound heartless, but there does seem to be a double standard going on regarding dogs and cats. It's deemed acceptable for cats to roam free and do what they want wherever they want, regardless of who's property they are on, but dogs are leashed and contained. I love cats, but can't have them near me - no matter how sweet and cute your semi-ferals are, I wouldn't want them in my yard either.

I'm not sure how what industry is doing to the planet relates to the simple fact that I don't want to step in your cat poop. Two separate issues. I do what I can to protect our earth, and I would ask anybody around me to respect my personal, private part of it as well.

Prin
March 23rd, 2007, 02:01 AM
I don't think it's a good idea to be thinking "cat sanctuary" when you have a person who doesn't like roaming cats next door. :shrug:

I agree with clm though, if you came here for opinions, fine, we gave you opinions, but don't expect the people of a public forum to validate you... Sometimes people do, sometimes they don't. :shrug:

krdahmer
March 23rd, 2007, 02:06 AM
Good for you for doing what you can. And really I'm with you on the it's just poop for crap's sake, if only we were aware of half the waste we leave around the planet. And plus it wasn't that long ago that we were poopin in the yard.
As for the neighbour, you may want to report that threat to the authorities, most places still consider pets to be property and therefor the authorities can sometimes issue a warning to the neighbour. Unfortunately, the only way to garuntee (my goodness I cant spell this evening) the kitties are safe is to confine them somehow. If they are primarily outdoors maybe higher fencing or an outdoor run would be better than the dangers of free roaming.
Also since cats seem to be in danger where you are, a sanctuary may not be ideal there, its a huge undertaking too. Are there any larger towns around you? Perhaps there are rescue groups not too too far. They may be able to rehome the animals you do take in. I know the one I work with, the :angel:s that work there are willing to travel miles and miles to pick up and help homeless and/or injured animals.

Good luck to you and your kitties. :pray:

Oh and although many of you do pick up your dog poop, my neighbour doesnt, just because our yards are joined doesn't mean my side counts as doggie toilet too. And I have not once seen a shovel or baggie come around after. So this spring hubby is scooping them a big present for their porch.
Oh and what is with them peeing whereever the mood strikes, nothing like laying in pee at the park! :yuck:
LoL... just wanted to point out its the owner NOT the type of pet, no fair pickin on kitties.;)

Which gives me another idea, you could offer to pick up after the cats in his yard (although I really dont see cats even entering a yard with big dogs... could even be the dogs offing the birds, I've seen that before- everything a chew toy). That might smooth it over with him and protect the kitties.

Ok Im gonna stop now. LoL sry.:shrug:

glitterless
March 23rd, 2007, 02:14 AM
Good for you for trying to make a difference in these cats' lives.

Unfortunately I have to agree with everyone else. It's wrong for your neighbour to threaten you, but your cats shouldn't be in his backyard and he has every right to want them kept out of there.

As for euthanasia with a bullet -- if done properly it's not any less humane than chemical euthanasia. It might not be as pleasant to watch, but it's over quickly.

Juhli
March 23rd, 2007, 02:17 AM
I know of no cat that poops on stairs .. makes me think the one who says this is making it up ..

Not all dog owners in this little town keep their dogs on a leash .. some run loose ..

So who makes up the rules .. yep .. the ones who immigrated from other countries (to North America) and the descendants of the immigrants ..

If your allergic to cats its the dander that comes off of them .. which blows off to whever in the breezes .. wind ..

It would be great to meet some cat lovers on this site ..

A bit of real history ..

The Monarchy leased the part of North America known as Canada from the Indigenous people, and the lease is renewed every 60 years .. next renewal date is in 2008 ..

This means that those who are not of indigenous ancestory .. do not own any land .. they think they do but they only own the dwelling that sits upon native/indigenous land..

Only the indigenous people of Canada hold "allodial" title to the land.

So, there is no such thing as private property for the Immigrants and descendants of immigrants ..

Interesting!

Tommysmom
March 23rd, 2007, 02:22 AM
Ok...

So I'm lying about the cat poop on my stairs? Great... that means I won't have to clean it up every day then. Good to know.

That's a really nice response considering I thought I was pretty polite, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

And the immigrant comments? Kinda out of line and irrelevant. But again, whatever floats your boat.

Don't worry though... this liar who apparently had no legal private property won't bother your thread anymore.

Good luck with your kitties. You're certainly not going to find much sympathy here if you just insult everybody.

Puppyluv
March 23rd, 2007, 02:28 AM
Frankly, I don't think you'd be too pleased if I let my dog crap in your yard every day without picking it up, so yes, it is "just poop" But no one wants someone else's pet's poop on their property.

I can voutch for a cat pooping on stairs, there is a cat that just loves to hang out on my balcony, and routinely poops on the stairs between my balcony and my neighbour's. Accusing members of lying is not a great way to make friends nor get advice.

You really need not turn this into a racial thing (the property owning schpeel). We are Canadian citizens and we have rights, and I personally am a little sick of the double standard between cats and dogs. I like cats quite a lot, but I don't want someone else's cat defacing my home.

Cats seem to halve no qualms entering yards with dogs, so don't be so quick to accuse your neighbour of lying. It seems if you don't like a response, you attack them and accuse them of lying to you.

Personally, if my neighbour opened a cat sanctuary next door, I'd be peeved. If you want to do that, open it somewhere that's not residential. In fact, there is probably some form of bylaw which would prevent you from opening a sanctuary in your home.,

Good for you for helping these cats, but take responsibilty for them. Maybe you've bitten off more than you can chew, and should consider spitting a little bit of it out of your mouth.:shrug:

Prin
March 23rd, 2007, 02:32 AM
:clown:

So because you don't believe it exists, I should have to shovel your cats' crap?

First you say it's impossible that they go to a property with dogs.
Then you say it's impossible that the crap all over it.

So they're not ferals! They're magical cats.

Hey, when you gotta go, you gotta go, right? Whether it's on your property or the neighbors'.. Oh wait! The neighbor doesn't have property, that's right. And I bet he doesn't own his house either, or pay taxes on said "non-property".

You're definitely not getting validated when you're rude to everybody, that's for sure.

clm
March 23rd, 2007, 02:37 AM
If you're as nasty to your neighbour as you are to the people here, that's why you have a problem.

Cindy

krdahmer
March 23rd, 2007, 02:54 AM
That post was rather abrupt, but factually accurate- seriously I looked it up. OH and that is an issue that really gets me blood boilin! But thats for an off topic rant.
And man you doggy people are cranky tonight. :p ;)

clm
March 23rd, 2007, 03:11 AM
Even us cat folks are cranky. :laughing:

Prin
March 23rd, 2007, 03:14 AM
And man you doggy people are cranky tonight. :p ;)We don't want kitty stinkers left in our yard! (Or even doggy stinkers...) And the pee too! My god that smell burns your nose hairs right off! http://foolstown.com/sm/sad.gif

mummummum
March 23rd, 2007, 04:58 AM
Here's where I'm a little confused...

You obviously care enough about cats that you have taken in abandoned cats and would be interested in starting a sanctuary but, you seem to be willing to expose them to all sorts of danger ~ accidental poisoning, attack by wild animals, harassment or harm by possibly suspect neighbours, harassment or harm by roaming dogs, road injury by vehicle to name a few.

You indicate you are living on a small pension and that it was a hardship to have six cats spayed (thanks for doing that btw !) but, you think you could financially manage a cat sanctuary.

Would it not be better to use your resources to build a complete (4 or 5 walled) outdoor enclosure in your backyard so your kitties could enjoy "the great outdoors" without risk to themselves, causing harm to the neighbourhood and aggravating your neighbour ?

Just a thought.

Quins-mum
March 23rd, 2007, 05:47 AM
My GOD! we must have a different breed of cats her in NZ.. I have never seen cat poop on my lawn, in my garden (coz most of it is buried...so thats ok).
and as for cats peeing around my place... not ever.

we all have to be a little more sympathetic to outdoor cats... I have a dog, and yep, the ocassional cat does wander into the property, but the dog soon scares him off...
This post is for help, not for criticism...yeah I know we all have our own ideas....but lets face it, i have learned (from this site) that ppls enviroments are different, and most of what I have read has been judgemental.

hang me for being truthful! This person is asking for help towards HER PETS...whom she loves... just as we love our pets....have we forgotten about that?

so maybe we should stop talking about the peeing and pooping cats, and how the neighbour has a right to be pissed off, and lets help and offer some advise!:mad:

take a look at mummummum's post... its helpful and to the point... lets get our thinking caps on and help!

Blathach
March 23rd, 2007, 05:54 AM
This thread has run its course and will now be closed. Please do not reopen closed issues.