Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need help immediately

hilary28
March 22nd, 2007, 04:37 PM
i adopted a 1 year old akita/husky mix puppy, i need help trying to find out why she has not gone to the bathroom at all when we are outside. the dog has heartworms, she has not eaten since i brought her home since adopting her, please email me and let me know what i can do to make my puppy more comfortable to eating and going to the bathroom. what kind of dog food can i put my puppy on?

my email address is:

Hunter's_owner
March 22nd, 2007, 04:44 PM
How long since you adopted her? Have you brought her to the vet yet?

hilary28
March 22nd, 2007, 04:52 PM
How long since you adopted her? Have you brought her to the vet yet?

i adopted her last saturday, i am bringing her to her vet to get her stitches out from being spayed last friday (this saturday). i don't know how i can help her.

Skryker
March 22nd, 2007, 04:54 PM
If she hasn't been eating, she won't poop. If she's not drinking either, you need to get her to a vet ASAP before she dehydrates. A vet is in order no matter what-it's just a question of whether you need to find an emergency vet or take her first thing tomorrow.

We can't diagnose online, since we're not vets. Please let us know what happens at the vet's, though. Good luck. :goodvibes: :fingerscr

You posted while I was posting. Good luck with her.

rainbow
March 22nd, 2007, 04:56 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum and thanks for adopting your one year old girl. :angel: We would love to see pictures. :lovestruck: Is she on heartworm medication? :fingerscr

What are you feeding her?

Hunter's_owner
March 22nd, 2007, 04:56 PM
Yeah I agree with Skryker.

i don't know how i can help her

Best way to help her is to get her to see a vet;)

hilary28
March 22nd, 2007, 04:57 PM
If she hasn't been eating, she won't poop. If she's not drinking either, you need to get her to a vet ASAP before she dehydrates. A vet is in order no matter what-it's just a question of whether you need to find an emergency vet or take her first thing tomorrow.

We can't diagnose online, since we're not vets. Please let us know what happens at the vet's, though. Good luck. :goodvibes: :fingerscr

the dog is drinking alot of water, she loves going for walks outside, but she does not go to the bathroom at all. what dog food can i give her since she is not eating anything.

rainbow
March 22nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
What were you trying to feed her?

Hunter's_owner
March 22nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
Has she not used the bathroom at all??? Not even once???:confused:

hilary28
March 22nd, 2007, 05:01 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum and thanks for adopting your one year old girl. :angel: We would love to see pictures. :lovestruck: Is she on heartworm medication? :fingerscr

she is getting treated for heartworms, i am feeding her nature's recipe dog food

rainbow
March 22nd, 2007, 05:06 PM
Is it the lamb and rice kibble?

Ingredients:

Lamb meal, cracked pearled barley, oatmeal, ground rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), lamb digest, tomato pomace, sodium tripolyphosphate, flax seed, potassium chloride, taurine, minerals (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), vitamins (vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), inositol, niacin supplement, vitamin A supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, beta-carotene, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), choline chloride, yucca schidigera extract, rosemary extract.

hilary28
March 22nd, 2007, 05:06 PM
Has she not used the bathroom at all??? Not even once???:confused:

she has only went to the bathroom once, only on sunday, monday through today she has never used the bathroom, she has not eaten anything since last saturday.

hilary28
March 22nd, 2007, 05:10 PM
Is it the lamb and rice kibble?

Ingredients:

Lamb meal, cracked pearled barley, oatmeal, ground rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), lamb digest, tomato pomace, sodium tripolyphosphate, flax seed, potassium chloride, taurine, minerals (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), vitamins (vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), inositol, niacin supplement, vitamin A supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, beta-carotene, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), choline chloride, yucca schidigera extract, rosemary extract.

it is the- chicken meal (breed specific) for large dog puppies

rainbow
March 22nd, 2007, 05:11 PM
Do you mean she hasn't pooped sinced last Saturday? Has she ate absolutely nothing solid since last Saturday? :eek: If she's not eating she doesn't have anything to poop. If she's drinking water is she peeing normally?

hilary28
March 22nd, 2007, 05:13 PM

how can i post pictures of my dog.

hilary28
March 22nd, 2007, 05:14 PM
Do you mean she hasn't pooped sinced last Saturday? Has she ate absolutely nothing solid since last Saturday? :eek: If she's not eating she doesn't have anything to poop. If she's drinking water is she peeing normally?

she has ate turkey with her medicine in it.

rainbow
March 22nd, 2007, 05:25 PM
it is the- chicken meal (breed specific) for large dog puppies

Okay, I found the ingredients:

Ingredients:

Chicken meal, Oatmeal, Pearled Barley, Brown Rice, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Chicken, Fat Product (natural source of DHA), Tomato Pomace, Dried Brewers Yeast, Animal Digest, Salt, Chicory Root, Potassium Chloride, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Inositol, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Beta-Carotene, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of vitamin K activity), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Iron Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Choline Chloride, L-Carnitine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Yucca Shidigera, Rosemary Extract.

This is not a very good dog food. Too many grains for the amount of protein. Poultry fat is undesirable. Animal Digest is garbage. Menadion sodium Bisulfite Complex is not allowed for human consumption and is connected to cancer. It has been removed from most of the premium quality dog foods. Also, Del Monte Foods makes this dog food which is not a good idea IMO. I would much rather use a company that makes pet food only.

I would try feeding her a better quality food like Canidae, Innova or Timberwolf Organics.

rainbow
March 22nd, 2007, 05:27 PM
how can i post pictures of my dog.

When you click on reply type a short message then scroll down to "Additional Options" and click on "Manage Attachments" and follow the instructions to upload from your computer.

heidiho
March 22nd, 2007, 05:29 PM
Well if she is not eating that is probably why she is not pooping,what does your vet say?????????

Blathach
March 22nd, 2007, 05:30 PM
Welcome hilary28,

Unfortunately our members are not vets and unable to address potentially serious health issues like this one. Time is critical - please contact a vet immediately. Good luck, we'll watch for an update on your pet's condition. In keeping with site policy, this thread will now be closed.

Thanks for your understanding.