Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Supplements

springermom0406
March 22nd, 2007, 02:16 PM
Since finding out my dog Riley has severe allergies to food and environment, I switched him to raw. (In case you missed that thread, his allergies are: salmon, turkey, pork, chicken, beef, rabbit, oat, soy, wheat, potato, sweet potato, corn, peas, berries, and rice.) He is allergic to storage mites so he can't have kibble.

Anyway, he still has a dandruff issue. I'd like to give him something to help his skin and coat. Salmon oil is out of the question since he's allergic. Is there anything else I can use? I also ordered this stuff from only natural pet to detox his body of the allergens, so maybe that will help. We also put in an air purifier, and are waiting for the other 2 to come ups.

Or could I just feed him say, tuna, mahi mahi, etc. to help his skin and coat? Problem is getting that stuff cheap. I don't even get to eat it because its expensive lol.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Spirit
March 22nd, 2007, 02:20 PM
What about Flax Seed Oil?

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 02:28 PM
i would try feeding him other oily ocean fish such as sardines, mackeral, herring, etc... (either whole and raw, or canned) - you can get those specific fish oils too, if you look hard enough :o Animal oils are the best for our carnivore friends but you could try coconut oil or olive oil too :thumbs up

Scott_B
March 22nd, 2007, 02:30 PM
lamb also has some nice fatty oils that help the coat. :thumbs up

mummummum
March 22nd, 2007, 03:24 PM
If you find he can't tolerate the fish oils, you can also try hemp seed oil.

springermom0406
March 22nd, 2007, 06:14 PM
How is whole tilapia? I got it for $1/lb at Sams club. Head and all gross. Can I feed it to him as is?

Scott_B
March 22nd, 2007, 07:27 PM
I've never feed it, but only because i've never come across it and I get fish pretty cheap, so i never buy it in stores. I do know others who feed it, and they feed it whole.