Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Alternative to Metacam - help needed

Quins-mum
March 22nd, 2007, 01:30 AM
Lexie has been on oral Metacam for over 3 years now, for Arthritis, and since joining this forum I have read (tonight) that Metacam is very dangerous for cats.

The reason she was put onto it, is that she is allergice to shellfish and shark cartillage based arthritis products.

Does anyone have any alternatives. Can I put her on human glucosimine or condroiten? - prob didnt get the spelling right .

mummummum
March 22nd, 2007, 12:57 PM
As far as I know you can. As your kitty is a senior, it's wise to check with your Vet about adding any supplements (and dosage), especially if your kitty has any liver or hepatic (kidney) concerns. You may also want to ask about Cosequin and supplementing their the diet with Vitamins C & E. But don't automatically toss the Metacam. I keep mine on hand for pain relief ~ there are days when we overdo it and the Metacam means that Ceili will be able to continue to move around which also helps to reduce inflammation. Metacam is hard on the organs if used at a high dose for a prolonged period but can be safely used for what it's intended ~ pain relief rather than symptom masking by prevention of inflammation. Hope that helps ~ could you let us know what your Vet says ? Arthritis isn't all that common in cats and I know very little about kitty physiology ~ a good opportunity for an "edumecation" !

rainbow
March 22nd, 2007, 01:38 PM
Yes, you can use glucosamine/chondroitin supplements for your cat but, I agree with MX3, check with your vet first about dosage. Also, the tablets are quite big but it is available in liquid form.

There is also a product called Celadrin that is also safe for pets. You can also get it in combination with glucosamine. It is a smaller pill but again, check with your vet first.

The vet that did Chase's TPLO surgery for his cruciate ligament says he prefers green lipped mussel over the glucosamine/chondroitin. I am going to start using it after I finish the glucosamine/chondroitin supplements I already had Chase on.

BTW, green lipped mussel is from New Zealand .....have you heard anything about it? Here is a website: http://www.vetstop.com/articles/green_mussel_extract.htm

mummummum
March 22nd, 2007, 01:48 PM
The reason she was put onto it, is that she is allergice to shellfish and shark cartillage based arthritis products.

She can't use it Rainbow.

rainbow
March 22nd, 2007, 02:11 PM
She can't use it Rainbow.

Well, duhhh....I should open my eyes when I'm reading. :o I am curious about the green lipped mussel though so I'll start a thread to see if anyone is using it. :)

But, Quins-mum can use the Celadrin and it's a smaller pill. :)

Quins-mum
March 22nd, 2007, 10:09 PM
But, Quins-mum can use the Celadrin and it's a smaller pill. :)

I asked the vet about celadrin. he had never heard of it.

gypsy_girl
March 22nd, 2007, 10:28 PM
There is Glucosamine out there that is beef sourced, and also vegetarian. I am curious about the allergy thing though, as my friend who is a biochemist who sells the vegetarian version says that none of the allergen is left after processing in the shellfish version. Chondrotin can also be beef sourced.
I like devils claw, and MSM but truthfully the Metacam is very effective.

Quins-mum
March 22nd, 2007, 10:48 PM
I am curious about the allergy thing though, as my friend who is a biochemist who sells the vegetarian version says that none of the allergen is left after processing in the shellfish version.

all i can tell you is that any shellfish products that I purchased would make her throw-up. (and belive me I have bought lots not knowing that it was the shellfish causing the vomiting)

but maybe....its not the shellfish. I would be interested in finding out more.

rainbow
March 22nd, 2007, 11:04 PM
I asked the vet about celadrin. he had never heard of it.

Here's their website: www.celadrin.com I couldn't find anything there about pet use except for a couple testimonials but they do mention in the brochure that I have that it is safe and effective. If you want more information you can contact them from their website. :)

Dracko
March 23rd, 2007, 07:01 AM
I don't know about in New Zealand but here in Canada all Celadrin on the shelves is sourced from beef. Chondroitin on the other had is sourced from shellfish. I work for a manufacturer/distributor of natural supplements and our bottles that contain Chondroitin have warnings for those allergic to shellfish.

Taking plain Glucosamine or Celadrin would probably be a better choice.