Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introduction titles for couples

Shamrock
March 21st, 2007, 09:49 PM
When you are introducing a couple that is living together, but not married.. what "titles" do you use for them? ( if you dont know how they introduce themselves to others)

Husband and wife? Boyfriend or Girlfriend? Ladyfriend/ Man? Partner? There's quite a few options. The easiest solution of course... when unsure, just use their names and leave it at that.:D

It's really unnecessary to clarify any relationships, imo. Unless you're being presented to the Queen :D .. it's just a social formality that no one really cares about.. or needs to know upon first meeting.

A lot depends on time together. A couple just newly joined might be referred to as boyfriend/girlfriend, or something similiar.
I use husband/ wife for all couples that have been living together for some time..longer than a year or so. The most accurate and fitting description, and the most appropriate to me.

My sister was at a large social gathering over the weekend and was slightly hurt and offended that she was introduced as her man's "lady friend".. by his mother.;)
She agreed "lady friend" was more appropriate for her age than "girlfriend"
But as she has been living with her son for the last eight years, she "is" his wife.. and wondered why the "distinction" was made.

In this day and age.. I think a couple's marital status is of little relevance or concern to others. How you are presented to others seems hardly worth worrying about to me. :shrug: Yet.. seems it can still be a touchy area for some.

Prin
March 21st, 2007, 09:54 PM
I hate "lady friend". Ew. It's so condescending and makes a girl feel irrelevant. Like a temporary girlfriend.;)

I introduce the man as "my man" or "my boyfriend"... But it depends on the circumstance... If it's important that we're a couple (like for banks and things) then we're conjoints, which is French for common-law... He's my conjoint. :) It gives the illusion of having the same rights as married people, but it really doesn't.:D

mummummum
March 21st, 2007, 09:58 PM
I routinely use "partner" whether legally married or not, gay and straight alike.

Prin
March 21st, 2007, 10:00 PM
Howdy. :D

(I don't like partner...:o)

Shamrock
March 21st, 2007, 10:00 PM
I hate "lady friend". Ew. It's so condescending and makes a girl feel irrelevant. Like a temporary girlfriend.;) D

That's exactly what my sister said, Prin!

Prin
March 21st, 2007, 10:03 PM
Your sister's right. Only a mother-in-law would use "lady friend".:sick:

mummummum
March 21st, 2007, 10:14 PM
Howdy. :D

(I don't like partner...:o)

Not sure there's a way to say this without sounding condescending (cuz generally, I'm not) but, I didn't like it when I was your age either. But, I also didn't think at the age of 32 when I began a c-in-l relationship "boyfriend" was an apt description for someone 8 years my senior. And, I loathed "significant other". Hey ~ anybody remember "posslq" ? Many of my friends are gay and partner is the most common relationship term, so I simply carry it over and don't have to worry in introductions whether someone is "enjoying the legal bonds of matrimony". :laughing:

Prin
March 21st, 2007, 10:18 PM
That's it. I'm leaving! :mad: :mad: :frustrated:

*stomp stomp stomp*

*slam*

hehe...

I don't think I'll ever like partner... It just sounds so... equal.:o I'm not equal to anybody. I'm different. :D

mummummum
March 21st, 2007, 10:29 PM
Oh man Prin don't open the "I'm different" door :laughing: :p :laughing:

But seriously, what suits us in our twenties seems just odd in our ...errr, later years. And you're right "partner" is evocative of a business relationship rather than a romantic one. And I fondly recall being at a tres chi-chi dinner party, where the guest of honour was celebrating her 82nd birthday and introduced the gentleman to her left, "And this is Malcom, my lover". More than a few steely-jaws dropped on that one :laughing:

Prin
March 21st, 2007, 10:33 PM
lol that's adorable! I hope I have a lover at 82. :cloud9:

mummummum
March 21st, 2007, 10:37 PM
It's true isn't it ? I love hearing of nursing-home romances and people reconnecting after 50 years...:lovestruck:

Prin
March 21st, 2007, 11:14 PM
So we don't agree on partner, but can we agree on "lady friend"? :D

mummummum
March 21st, 2007, 11:20 PM
Oh yeah baby ~ I will NEVER be that old and curmudgeonly. Call me whatever you want ~ just never late for breakfast ! :laughing:

Shamrock
March 21st, 2007, 11:29 PM
I agree, mum. Boyfriend and girlfriend are ok only up to a point. For mature adults they can sound a bit silly.:rolleyes:
Until you become "really" mature.. and then it's ok again.:) I love the stories of the seniors who find new roamnce in their lives, and they have earned the right to describe this any way they want. ..:lovestruck:

Partner is good in that it doesnt denote any gender, and more appropriate for certain age groups too.
But at the "further" end of the age scale, cant say I would care for this much myself. Its a bit... clinical.;) to me...small step up from room-mate.

Signifigant other!:Think that used to be quite popular.. along with "better half":laughing:

meb999
March 22nd, 2007, 08:33 AM
I've used 'spouse' which is like the french 'conjoint' which I find is more than just boyfriend, but still doesn't have the married conotation (like husband)

Rick C
March 22nd, 2007, 08:38 AM
"This is Billy and his friend Kathy" or "This is Kathy and her friend Billy."

Let Billy and Kathy fill in the blanks.

I agree "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" are out the door.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

papillonmama
March 22nd, 2007, 08:42 AM
LOL Prin! I do use partner, because I'm not a girl and he's defenitely not a boy, I hate being called girlfriend, we've been together long enough that he's my partner.

And, then there are other situations, where I will say he's my husband, like when we went horseback riding and the trail guide was all over him, so I said something like, yeah, my husband is such a nice guy, always gets along with Everyone, Jenny, oh yeah, of course, Joan.:rolleyes:

I never thought about it as howdy partner, we're more like, partners in crime.;) :cool:

Loves Labs
March 22nd, 2007, 08:51 AM
I am glad this thread was started - this is often a point of contention with us.

We are well beyond boyfriend & girlfriend...we own a house together, we have fur-babies...etc etc. I find when people introduce us as bf & gf we are not taken as seriously as our married friends.

However, I can't find a term that I am confortable saying...for some reason partner doesn't really work for me. :o I will often use "husband" depending on who I am speaking to.

Anyways, ....all the more reason for him to hurry up and put that ring on my finger!! :D :D :laughing: :laughing:

meb999
March 22nd, 2007, 09:19 AM
I agree...I've used husband before... I remember when we started looking at breeders, a boxer breeder told me they wouldn't adopt to us because we were 'boyfriend and girlfriend'. So all the other breeders I sopke to, and even to BRQ I called Nic my husband :o
But we WILL be husband and wife in October, so it's just alittle white lie :D

marko
March 22nd, 2007, 09:25 AM
'partner' is such a loaded term these days. I often go the humourous route and say this is my boss. But Overlord is good too. :)

I mean if you have a business partner and you're having a conversation with someone that does not know you well and say something like - "let me discuss this with my partner" you MAY be giving the impression that you need to discuss this with your significant other.

meb999
March 22nd, 2007, 09:39 AM
LoL! Overlord...I like it :D

~michelle~
March 22nd, 2007, 09:51 AM
the person in who i live my life in sin with :D j/k....

Kristin7
March 22nd, 2007, 10:55 AM
Yeah, whenver someone says 'partner' I am wondering if they mean business partner or someone they are romantically involved with (or, some are both). I think that term is confusing. I do like the simple use of 'friend' though, which is also confusing. I sometimes use significant other, but not during an introduction. 'Better half' is funny to me but sounds like something my parents would say. How about 'roommate'? :laughing: When in doubt, I would just introduce them by their names and leave off any terms describing their relationship. I do have this problem when referring to my brother's girlfriend. 'Girlfriend' seems like not a good term, since they have been living together for years and have a child together. Seems like she is really my sister in law, but technically she is not. :shrug:

Loves Labs
March 22nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
I often pull out the "living in sin with..." just to get my Mom going. She is drooling for a wedding :D

Mahealani770
March 22nd, 2007, 01:27 PM
Ok..ok...everyone calm down...the lesbian has arrived and will now giveth her holier than thou, lesbianic opinion... :laughing:
I HATE "partner"..but..I've had to use it a few times, including on this board. I mean, what is she to me? Can I say wife? I do sometimes, but then people think I'm a *cringe* MAN!!! :D We don't own a freakin business together so why does she have to be my "partner"? Ewww...I hate it! And "lady friend" makes my skin crawl. :sick:

..the lesbian has left the board...:evil:

Prin
March 22nd, 2007, 01:29 PM
She's your lover... reer...:D

btw, that whole lesbianic part? :laughing: :laughing:

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 01:31 PM
too funny!!! "he's my better half" - er, what does that make me? LOL "he's my fiance" - so old fashioned.

hey i got it!

"he's my man-servant"!! :D

~michelle~
March 22nd, 2007, 01:32 PM
hahaha thanks for the lesbian point of view, ive never liked the term partner, not intimate enough...
everyone should just say lover!!! it radiates passion for the person!:lovestruck:

Prin
March 22nd, 2007, 01:34 PM
I've used 'spouse' which is like the french 'conjoint' which I find is more than just boyfriend, but still doesn't have the married conotation (like husband)

What an ugly word though: Spouse. :sick: Too bad there wasn't a more romantic word than spouse. Conjoint flows better... Spouse is rigid like a swear word. "You spouse!" :D

"He's my man"... It gives the illusion of possession (aka marriage :D), but also makes him seem like a distinct separate entity. :shrug: :D

~michelle~
March 22nd, 2007, 01:34 PM
oh i like man servant.... :D not sure how chris will feel about that one

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 01:38 PM
i was thinking of those Philly Cream Cheese ads, you know the curly-haired angel? :D

mummummum
March 22nd, 2007, 01:45 PM
And I hate the terms wife and husband. One, because it delegitimizes common-law relationships (or other arrangements) and two, because it evokes a traditional and conservative sensibility of roles in the home and value to the world.

I don't think I could ever introduce someone as my lover. It's akin to saying "Hi, this is who I'm knocking boots with today ~ but, stay tuned, that could change tomorrow" :D

Prin
March 22nd, 2007, 01:47 PM
lol, I can just see a middle-ager saying, "This is the guy I'm banging this week." :laughing:

Spirit
March 22nd, 2007, 01:47 PM
As a general introduction, I just use their names. I certainly wouldn't introduce him/her as "This is my girlfriend/boyfriend, or husband/wife". Gay or straight, married, living in sin, sister/brother, who cares. Whatever his/her name is, is how I introduce them. And if someone asks "Are you married?" I can say yes or no.

My current interest is a Police Officer. And no way would I say "This is Officer SoAndSo". That's his job, not his name. And "Dr. Whatever" bugs me even more. There is a time and a place, and for me, it GREATLY depends on whom I'm introducing them to, and why. Unless of course my goal is shock value. I can be quite the poop disturber when I want to be. Now THAT can be fun. :evil:

Prin
March 22nd, 2007, 01:49 PM
hehe, "current interest"... I like that. :D

rainbow
March 22nd, 2007, 01:50 PM
I really don't like the word "partner" as it has too many meanings. :p

I don't mind "spouse" or "significant" other when introducing unmarried couples. :)

Depending on the situation, I've used "better half" and "other half" humourously. :D Even "worst half"......but, all in fun and it was taken that way. :laughing:

mummummum
March 22nd, 2007, 01:52 PM
"Partner in Crime" :D

rainbow
March 22nd, 2007, 02:15 PM
"Partner in Crime" :D

That's an improvement. :laughing:

Spirit
March 22nd, 2007, 02:21 PM
Oh yeah, "Partner in Crime" would work well for me. :thumbs up

Shamrock
March 22nd, 2007, 02:43 PM
lol.. some pretty clever suggestions here. Man-servant gets my vote!:D

Well, there's two ways to look at this.
If "you"... half of the couple.. are introducing your loved one - identify them any way you like. It's competely your call.. whatever you feel comfortable with. Husband, wife, spouse..soul-mate..:)
But when others are introducing you as a couple to a group, they sometimes dont know what term you prefer, and kind of stumble awkwardly.

I dont actually like partner, spouse, etc, as these "seperate".. relay to others a couple that is living together but not married.
I think just using "friend"... with no clear relationship references is preferable, but still too vague and casual.:shrug:

A couple that is committed in a long term relationship and sharing a home "are" married, and I use this for other couples as it just seems the simplest, and the "least" likely to step on toes.
No one cares.. or should care.:shrug: about the "legalties" of their union. (unless its an actual legal matter of course).

A bit off topic.:offtopic: but for the terms husband and wife,.. one thing that really annoys me is when I receive mail or invitations etc with my husbands name only - "Mr and Mrs "Bill Black".
Or worse.. addressed to me as.. "Mrs Bill Black"
I have my own first name.:rolleyes: Use it please, or use both our our names.. and skip the titles altogether.:shrug:
An outdated custom for when the man of the house was :king:

Spirit
March 22nd, 2007, 02:51 PM

All except for a Mr Alec Baldwin, who is still affectionally teased on the red carpet as "Mr. Kim". :laughing:

(edit: Or at least he was until a few years after the divorce...)

Prin
March 22nd, 2007, 03:21 PM
Shamrock, even worse than Mr and Mrs Black, is Mr Black and GUEST! I've been with my man almost 6 years now, and last summer I got a wedding invite "To Prin and guest". That's a step down from "man friend".:D

But yeah, IMO, the most sensitive person should be the mother-in-law. She's better to shoot too high than too low.

Lady friend: too low
Spouse: high! :)

mummummum
March 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
A bit off topic.:offtopic: but for the terms husband and wife,.. one thing that really annoys me is when I receive mail or invitations etc with my husbands name only - "Mr and Mrs "Bill Black".
Or worse.. addressed to me as.. "Mrs Bill Black"
I have my own first name.:rolleyes: Use it please, or use both our our names.. and skip the titles altogether.:shrug:

Ah yes, and I was "the little woman" ...:evil:

Shamrock
March 22nd, 2007, 03:52 PM
Shamrock, even worse than Mr and Mrs Black, is Mr Black and GUEST! I've been with my man almost 6 years now, and last summer I got a wedding invite "To Prin and guest". That's a step down from "man friend".:D

But yeah, IMO, the most sensitive person should be the mother-in-law. She's better to shoot too high than too low.

Lady friend: too low
Spouse: high! :)

:eek: Prin... that invitation is really thoughtless and insulting!:mad: :sad: For unattached people, commonly done. But, after six years? C'mon.. take the time and effort to use both names on the invitation!
No one appreciates being "minimized" to a nameless entity. :evil:

What hurt my sister about this recent intro thing, Prin. is that she "does" refer to her man's mother as "mother-in-law' even though technically she isnt.
She sees all his relatives as family..the implication to her is that maybe she doesnt have this "acceptance' from them.:shrug:

jesse's mommy
March 22nd, 2007, 04:42 PM
We introduce each other as "this is my b*tch". Usually gets a chuckle and makes things a lot less tense. :shrug:

Mahealani770
March 22nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by: mummummum
I don't think I could ever introduce someone as my lover. It's akin to saying "Hi, this is who I'm knocking boots with today ~ but, stay tuned, that could change tomorrow"

LMAOOOOOOOO!!!!

Originally Posted by: Prin
"This is the guy I'm banging this week."

I almost peed on this one.

Oh, and "Conjoint"..jesus Prin..could it get any colder than that? lol

Prin
March 22nd, 2007, 08:53 PM
Mahealani, say it in French though.:D Much more romantic.:laughing:

Shamrock, I didn't read my quote and I thought I had said something thoughtless and insulting.:D But yeah, we have a lot of friends in common (the bride and I) and she didn't bother to ask anybody if she was unsure of the name or whatever. :rolleyes:

I'm like your sister- I consider my man's mom my mother in law, because I consider him long term (usually :D). That's why it's sensitive, IMO... Even if I'm not long term, she doesn't have the right to call it, especially not to perfect strangers. ;)

Stacer
March 22nd, 2007, 09:36 PM
For the 3 years we lived together before we got married I didn't really put much though into our titles. Whenever anyone introduced us to other people they would just introduce us by our first names and it was implied that we were together. If anyone was curious they could ask later when we were having a conversation. I can't really recall having to introduce the man to anyone and having to define who he was. I think we used the boyfriend girlfirend titles the most though. We didn't like the term partners, it's too ambiguous. There's not really a term that I particularly like. Even husband and wife seems weird to me. My mom and dad are husband and wife. Not me and him. I think now, the rings on our fingers speak for themselves and we still just get introduced as Stacy and Nathan.

erykah1310
March 22nd, 2007, 09:53 PM
I introduce Guy like this...

" This is Guy":shrug:
And usually with my arm around him or holding hands or something.... then the question arises...
"Oh, how long have you two been together" and I get strange looks when I say 5 years.
I guess I should upgrade him from "Guy" to something huh:shrug: :D

jesse's mommy
March 22nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
Oh Erykah, just tell them he's your bitch. I'm serious, that's what I do. :laughing:

Shamrock
March 22nd, 2007, 10:48 PM
: Shamrock, I didn't read my quote and I thought I had said something thoughtless and insulting.:D )

oops! I'm sorry Prin! This was misleading without the quote part!:sorry:
I fixed it.:o .:D

Prin
March 22nd, 2007, 10:51 PM
hehe, it was ok, Shamrock.:D I got it afterward... I was all, "oh no, what did I do!?" :D

It's funny how guys don't care, eh? I asked my man what he thought and he just said, "What? You're my girlfriend." :D

CyberKitten
March 22nd, 2007, 11:09 PM
I never introduce my guy who livces with me as my "partner", he has partners in a law firm, lol I do call him my significant other on occasion even tho I am not keen on that term either. Mostly, I just say friend. It works fr both of us. Because obviously, he cannot call me a partner either, lol

Mahealani770
March 23rd, 2007, 06:29 AM
Whenever I see you all type "significant other" or I hear someone say that they have a "significant other" or "partner", I get all excited thinking I've found another gay! Yay!
So, all you heteros might want to be careful when you say "partner" or "sig. other"...lol

Shamrock
March 23rd, 2007, 02:16 PM
lol, Mahealani!:D

I really dont make that connection myself. I just think "couple". May be living together.. may not.

Same-sex relationship definitions are tricky for sure for referencing to others.
I cant see any other realistic term other than partner, spouse.. or friend.

The gender association with "wife" and "husband" are so entrenched in our minds, that unless people can "see" you both, they're going to make a natural male /female assumption.
This can be awkward and embarrassing for all parties:):o .

But, things can change gradually over time. The word "doctor" at one time conjured up a male image only, as odd as that seems now.:rolleyes:

None of the other terms are very good, I agree. We need a new one....
one that encompasses all couple relationships.:shrug:

Spirit
March 23rd, 2007, 03:37 PM
Whenever I see you all type "significant other" or I hear someone say that they have a "significant other" or "partner", I get all excited thinking I've found another gay! Yay!

My dogs breeders are lesbians. They've been together for something like 25+ years. They're partners in both life AND business.

Does that help? :cloud9:

(and God bless you for saying "I've found another gay". LOL :lovestruck: )

Prin
March 23rd, 2007, 03:45 PM
lol Mahealani, do you know John? He's gay too. :laughing: :laughing:

dtbmnec
March 23rd, 2007, 03:52 PM
I've always liked "my man-slave"....or even better "my s** toy" :) LOL

I'm sure I could always find something more appropriate but I'm still at the stage where we're not going to any "chi chi" parties or anything. :)

Its still strange to think that Arron and I are actually common-law married. We've been living together for a year now and been together for two. Makes me wonder where the heck the time went!

I'm not sure what all we're going to be introduced as since I've never come across a serious situation. So far its always been "girlfriend/boyfriend" or "This is Megan/Arron" kind of thing.

Megan

CyberKitten
March 23rd, 2007, 07:17 PM
I never really refer to a couple as husband and wife - and I deal with so many ppl on a day to day basis or what seems to be a lot (not as many as say someone who works at WalMart for ex, lol but they are not meeting couples generally). They usually introduce themselves. It can get complicated. A woman brings her child for an appt and she says this is say Jane, my child and this is Joe, my husband but I cannot assume Joe is Jane's father. Or this is Jane's sister and sometimes, the sister is a step sister and not related to the mother.

One has to be VERY careful with what one says. :)

Breezer
March 24th, 2007, 11:05 PM
So, all you heteros might want to be careful when you say "partner" or "sig. other"...lol

OH my, must be a gay thing. Whenever I see someone say partner/significant other I think WOOOHOOO lesbian!;)

I use partner. The use of friend/room-mate just f***ing annoys me. Co-workers always use the term friend.. ARGGG

Even my mom uses partner.:laughing:

Maybe in the future if we get married since it is now legal in Canada I'll just use the term wife so that I can see the cogs turning in peoples head...:rolleyes:

Kristin7
March 25th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Funny, this reminds me of something... one time in college I was living with one of my friends (who can afford to live alone in college?) for the summer, finishing up my thesis. The old guy who lived downstairs was the landlord. One day I came home and he asks 'so are you two friends?', and I went on about how we were and we met in grad school, blah blah blah, then went upstairs to the apartment. Later I realized he was asking me if we were a lesbian couple, oops. :laughing: What else does one call one's friends?? I have lots of them, men and women. I would hope that I am friends with whomever I am dating, too, but that is quite a broad term to be making assumptions on. So is 'roommate' (I was joking about that before). I don't really like boyfriend/girlfriend anymore (getting too old for that), but it leaves little doubt about the situation.

Megan, are you seriously common law married after only one year? I guess the number of years varies for this depending on where you live, but it seems like a very short time.

Dog Dancer
March 26th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Just reading through this and Prin I can beat you with the wedding invite. We went to a wedding last year,it was the son of a friend of my BF. I know the father but not really well. Later we got an invite to the wedding of another son of theirs. The First invite was addressed to the BF and included his guest 2 seats reserved. The second invite (and they know we've been living together for 2 1/2 years) was addressed to BF and said 1 seat reserved. I don't recall drolling in my food or anything at the 1st reception... BF is saying what does that mean??? I said it means they made a mistake don't worry. So I crossed it out and wrote in two. But it made me laugh and think of it when you posted about the invite.:laughing: I generally refer to my BF as my husband (I think I'm too old for a BF). He calls me his girlfriend (he has commitment issues.)

Mahealani770
March 26th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Yay! More gays! :laughing: Wooo Hooo! I'm not alone! :cloud9:
(*(*(*(Breezer)*)*)*) and (*(*(*(Spirit )*)*)*)*)
:grouphug:

Originally Posted by: Spirit
(and God bless you for saying "I've found another gay". LOL )

LMAO!!!

Aimster
March 26th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Yay! More gays! :laughing: Wooo Hooo! I'm not alone! :cloud9:
(*(*(*(Breezer)*)*)*) and (*(*(*(Spirit )*)*)*)*)
:grouphug:

Don't forget me Mahealani :D

I don't introduce my girlfriend as "my girlfriend", I introduce her as Sherry and that's it. I let people take what they want from it, if they want to ask then I tell them. My mother has introduced her once or twice as my girlfriend but I think she prefers to just use her name instead of inserting a title first.

Mahealani770
March 26th, 2007, 01:48 PM
(*(*(*(*(Aimster!!)*)*)*)*) OMG they're coming out of the woodwork! lol
Wooooo Hooooo! :grouphug:

I'm with you, Aimster. I say, "..and this is Danita..." and I let them make their own assumptions; unless we're at a "family" gathering. (For all the heteros, "family" means "other gays" :D) Then it's, "..and this is my wife, Danita..." lol You'd have to be pretty slow to not know what Danita is to me, as she looks like a lil man...lol :cloud9: (A fine one at that!)

Maya
March 26th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I just asked "my man" and he said manbitch is fine. I feel uncomfortable with almost every term even his name sometimes!:shrug:

I'm sorry Mahealani770 I was saying partner to you in another thread a while back and then I was like why am I saying that. I use it for us sometimes but it doesn't really feel right.

Mahealani770
March 27th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by: Maya
I'm sorry Mahealani770 I was saying partner to you in another thread a while back and then I was like why am I saying that. I use it for us sometimes but it doesn't really feel right.

Awe, no, it's ok Maya. I don't mind if people refer to us as partners. I just hate introducing her as my partner. :D

happycats
March 27th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I hate the term "my old lady" or " my old man":yuck: but I know a couple who refer to eachother as such!!
My friend calls her man friend her "co habitant" .
I have also heard " my mate" or "my soul mate" .
I think "lady friend" sounds more like a woman of the night!
I think "spouse" is the best, because it can either mean legal or common-law.