Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Orijen grain free puppy food???

Cram
March 21st, 2007, 09:48 PM
We're thinking of trying out some different puppy foods for Helix as he just doesn't seem interested or excited in the Innova Puppy we've been giving him. We're going to try Wellness Super5Mix Puppy, Merrick Puppy Plate and California Naturals lamb & rice because that's what's available for us (no Solid Gold, Timberwolf, Canidae, Wysong, Go Naturals). We'll get some samples and do a "taste test" to see if he gets excited about one or prefers it, and then maybe do a rotation so he doesn't get bored.

Our prime choice is Orijen puppy food. They're the only pet company that makes a grain free puppy food, and I was just wondering if there are any concerns over feeding a pup such a high protein diet (growth and development issues, etc). Plus it's relatively local (Alberta).

Orijen Puppy food:

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein 40.0%
Fat 20.0%
Carbohydrate 16.0%
Moisture 10.0%
Fiber 2.5%
Calcium 1.6%
Phosphorus 1.4%
Omega-6 3.0%
Omega-3 1.0%
Glucosamine 500 mg/kg
Chondroitin 150 mg/kg
Microorganisms 40M cfu/kg

FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS

Fresh chicken meat, chicken meal (low ash), turkey meal, steamed russet potato, fresh-caught Northern Whitefish, chicken fat, fresh whole eggs, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, tapioca, chicken broth, sunflower oil, flaxseed, Atlantic kelp, steamed carrots, spinach, peas and tomatoes, sun-cured alfalfa, apple fiber, psyllium seed, rosemary extract, yeast extract (MOS), glucosamine HCl, cranberries, black currants, L-carnitine, chondroitin sulfate..

TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS

Chicory, burdock and marshmallow root, rosehips, stinging nettle, marigold flowers, fennel seed, chamomile flowers, milk thistle, chickweed, summer savory.

ORGANIC MINERALS

Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.

PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS

Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium (B. bifidus), Saccharomyces (S. boulardii).

PREMIUM VITAMINS

Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin, pyridoxine (source of vitamin B6).

Prin
March 21st, 2007, 09:56 PM
What kind of puppy?

Cram
March 21st, 2007, 10:00 PM
Sorry, he's an Alaskan Klee Kai (like a miniature husky). He'll be around 15 lbs as an adult. Here's a pic (I'm sure you've seen him before :))

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/candice_jackel/IMG_1416.jpg

Prin
March 21st, 2007, 10:01 PM
Oh, yeah, that cutie!!! Orijen might be good.:) Large breed puppies can't have that much calcium...:o

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 10:07 PM
Yes, that cutie indeed. :lovestruck: Make sure you monitor his water intake if you switch him to the Orijen Puppy. If he doesn't drink enough water it may afffect his kidneys.

Cram
March 21st, 2007, 10:18 PM
Thanks, if he seems to like it we'll probably rotate with the California Naturals lamb & rice or the Innova Puppy. Not sure how I can make him drink more water though :)

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 10:25 PM
No, you can't "make" him drink more water. But if he does not seem to be drinking enough I would get him checked by the vet as too much protein and not enough water can lead to kidney disease.

Prin
March 21st, 2007, 10:34 PM
You can maybe supplement with canned food or something more watery too... :shrug:

SuperWanda
March 22nd, 2007, 04:04 PM
That is the cutest dog ever!

I can't give you any advice on Orijen for puppies but I have been feeding the adult Orijen for about 7 months now and both my dogs seem to really enjoy it. I think they look better too! My dogs are both husky crosses.

Rainbow: I thought that higher protein diets leading to kidney problems was a myth?

One article I found:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&articleid=1104

Who knows maybe the guys that wrote that particular article are quacks but I thought that newer research was dispelling that myth as well?

Cram
March 22nd, 2007, 04:43 PM
I think if we start feeding him Orijen puppy, we'll give him a small bowl of water in his crate for the day. I'm sure he can hold it and this way he has water if he's thirsty (we were planning to do this as he gets older because he is in his crate now for 8-9 hours 4 days a week). I'm excited to try it though, and I hope he likes it!

One Beagle Girl
March 22nd, 2007, 04:44 PM
I have to admit I don't have any input for the food, but just wanted to chime in on the cuteness factor.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :lovestruck: .

Your pup so insanely adorable!!

clm
March 23rd, 2007, 01:25 AM
Way too cute, I love the arctic breeds.
I'm planning on putting my new puppies on Orijen too, but I'm going straight to the adult formula, not the puppy stuff. Need to find a wet food to go along with it....I'm thinking of giving them some wet food in thier diet, but don't know which one to go with yet.

Cindy

Prin
March 23rd, 2007, 02:03 AM
I'd wait a while for the wet... Wait till the smoke clears.:o

rainbow
March 23rd, 2007, 02:10 AM
Good idea....I'd wait too. I heard the FDA might have some answers regarding the recall tomorrow. :fingerscr

clm
March 23rd, 2007, 02:16 AM
Won't be getting the first puppy until the end of April anyway:p The waiting is killing me.
I sure hope some answers on the tainted food are really coming soon.

Cindy

Cram
March 23rd, 2007, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I'm a little scared. Because Helix refused to eat his kibble (he would "snack" on it over a long period of time, rather than eat the whole amount in 30 minutes or so) we decided to mix a small amount of canned Innova puppy with his food. I'm fairly confident that the Innova canned won't be affected, but because they haven't released the cause, I'm still a little concerned.

I think if we continue to give him a bit of canned food it will be Merrick (preferably because they make it in their own facility) or Natural Balance (who doesn't use Menu foods). I don't want to cut Innova out completely, because I really think that it's a good food, especially the EVO, but it probably won't be back into his diet until we switch to the adult formulas. We may use California Naturals dry food though. I would like to use their canned meats in the future, if they stop using Menu to can their products, but we'll see.

Another question: does anyone have any tips on doing a rotation diet? I'm hoping to use 3 different foods for Helix so he doesn't get bored, and I think this will improve his eating habits. I would like to use Orijen Puppy (chicken, turkey and whitefish based with no grains) California Naturals Lamb Millet & rice, and Natural Balance Venison & rice or Sweet potato & fish (not my ideal choice for food because it's pretty grainy, but the only decent fish-based one I can get here). I'm thinking of doing a weekly switch, but would it be better to do a longer or shorter time period?

jessi76
March 23rd, 2007, 11:18 AM
why are you going to rotate foods? my dog does GREAT on the same kibble daily, and I just change the flavor of wet food that I add to it. I use Merrick canned, not ony because they make a quality product, but because of so many flavor choices. Personally, I don't think it's wise to keep changing kibble every week - it's hard on the dog's system. not to mention you may be setting yourself up for some real aggrevation - this can create a very picky puppy.