Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

innocent FAMILY PITBULL KILLED IN VIOLENT DEATH ... NO MEDIA COVERAGE..AID THE PUBLIC

jinner00
March 21st, 2007, 08:43 PM
LINK TO ARTICLE:
http://www.saultstar.com/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentid=452643&catname=Local+News&classif=News+%2D+Local

REPLY:

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:
I am writing in regards to a very serious matter that has yet to be noticed or even addressed by the Humane Society as well as properly brought to the public eye. I was reading an article from the Sault Ste. Marie Star when I came across the story “Family pet dies violent death”. I find the most shocking details of this story not that an innocent family pet had been brutally killed but rather, the minimal attention and fuss that the police of Anishinabek and the Humane society has projected.
The breed of the dog that has died is the American pitbull terrier which is now “classified” as one of the most dangerous dogs and has even been banned, in other words, a man made act of extinction. So is the minimal public outrage caused by the fact that the death of the dog is in fact a pitbull, or is it that the dogs that brutally tore apart this animal are classified as “friendly - sociable” dogs?

The outrage of American Pitbull Terrier’s attacks have been thrown everywhere in the media by the government to justify their choice of killing off a breed of life. Yet, this small story that if I wouldn’t be sending out to every single form of media I am connected too would not have been addressed and thrown into the public eye. Why? Because this very attack against an innocent dog will prove that the law made to ban this breed is a mistake. In saying this, how exactly will the government of Ontario explain to a soon educated public they purposely caused extinction in a world that fights to prevent it?

wdawson
March 21st, 2007, 09:00 PM
what a horrible story,i never want to here about any animal dying,but i do have a problem with this story.....guy says dogs should be tied....yet his is not...and for atleast 10 yrs......how did his dog end up on the street?....not tied....there is more to the story imo....media always spins it for more readers.

jinner00
March 21st, 2007, 09:20 PM
yes all dogs involved were not leashed.. but the reason that the article was brought to my attention wasn't in regards to stray animals or if "jones" had said the guilty animals should be leashed... but its come to my attention because of the lack of media coverage and public attention this story is getting.... how many stories have you seen that has been on the news and talked about pertaining to the "vicious" pitbull... then a story that shows a FAMILY PITBULL PET being brutally attacked has minimal coverage and not even the Humane Society in my hometown has much to say about this... not to mention that they HARASSED me and my family about our Red nose pitbull and how he is dangerous when he was one of the most friendly animals in our neighbourhood AND he was always on a leash... not only that, but when we had to put our pitbull down because he was old the woman AT THE HUMANE SOCIETY told me that "oh well good, now you know u shouldnt get another one of those".... what in gods name is that????????

point being, is that pitbulls get so much rap about being horrible animals and even as far as being banned now... yet two apparent "friendly" breeds tare apart to pieces a dog that is seemingly the bad breed...
just doesnt add up to me...

jinner00
March 21st, 2007, 09:31 PM
oh and just to let you know;
i have just talked to a witness, and i guess the dog was leashed and was dragged from his owners backyard and the leash was ripped off

wdawson
March 21st, 2007, 09:34 PM
hey i have seen too many pit attack stories.....i'm in southern ontario....and the media here just want headlines....the way i see this story is all parties are guilty....all dog should have been confined.....its sad the dog got killed..but all these owners are irresponsible owners.....if they where a little more responsible then this would not have happened and there would be no news story.

jinner00
March 21st, 2007, 09:44 PM
so your telling me that the pitbull's owner that was on a leash who got DRAGGED OFF THE LEASH is guilty? ahha.. i'm in southern ontario as well... so you dont need to tell me about media...
if the dog wasnt on a leash then maybe i'd say yes everyone is clearly guilty.. nonetheless, it shows the public that pitbulls arent always what the media attempts to precieve them to be....

not only that, but i have a Blue Bully pitbull that is 110lbs ... he is socialized to be nothing but friendly... and if two aggressive dogs came up to him, i am 100% positive he wouldnt know what to do... this probably is the case in this situation.. a dog who has been specifically trained to shy away from aggression (only because of his breed) and because of this, gets torn apart by psychotic dogs.

mummummum
March 21st, 2007, 11:09 PM
Just an fyi Jinner... many, if not most of us, are pittie-lovers or at the very least anti-BSL'ers. And wdawson (Wayne) who has a pittie cross, is very vocal on the issue.

I see many problems in this story, the greatest being the lack of by-laws on the reserve.

LavenderRott
March 21st, 2007, 11:20 PM
“Once dogs get that taste of blood, and especially when they pair up like this, they more or less become wild. . . . It’s like a game to them,” he said.

Ok. A pair of dogs can develop a pack mentality but the whole taste of blood thing is just a bunch of bunk. Ask anyone who feeds raw food.

jinner00
March 22nd, 2007, 12:28 AM
for the post right after mine:
i agree that there are alot of problems with the story... but as i have said again and again.. its the fact that a pitbull has been killed by dogs that are classified as friendly social dogs... and the media coverage totally bull all because it was the reverse attack...
its NOT about the story in detail but more the principle

as for the last post.. i agree.. the man clearly has no clue what hes talking about.. i feed my pitbull raw steak bones

mummummum
March 22nd, 2007, 12:54 AM
No disagreement Jinner ~ pitties or pibbles as I have recently heard them called are reported as the source of every major evil short of being a fourth to the axis of evil. Dog attacks and bites by other breeds are heavily under- reported because they don't sell news.

It's a sad news story on all fronts really. No dog should have to die because of stupid owners/ guardians.

mummummum
March 22nd, 2007, 12:58 AM
. i feed my pitbull raw steak bones

just an fyi... steak bones may not be the best choice for raw bones as they splinter easily. Knuckle bones on the other hand are a great chew.

Odieandmaggiesd
March 22nd, 2007, 12:18 PM
Wow unbeleivable...the killer of dogs...the fighting dog bread and raised to kill other dogs and small kids...got killed by two other non evil breeds....the media probly didn't pay much attention to it since they can't figure out how such a thing could happen...the evil pit must have started the fight and the otehr two dogs must have been defending themselves.....

(it's kinda hard to portray sarcasm...but you catch my drift)

Schwinn
March 22nd, 2007, 02:46 PM
This attack is way worse than a lot of the pitbull attacks that made the national papers. I've sent out an e-mail with the link, just to show people that yes, it is still happening, and no, the mainstream media doesn't report it.

seeker
March 22nd, 2007, 04:12 PM
This is very tragic for the dog and the family .
As for the media I hope no one expects them to be sympathetic to our cause as they played such a large part in helping convince the public that Pitbulls and their owners are nothing but bad. That is not reality in this province right now.Hopefully one day we can get the message through to the people and government.
Stories like this make my blood boil , because he was a labeled dog no sympathy from authorities or the public .
Please remember this in October ,make the liberals pay for this and other needless deaths.

jinner00
March 22nd, 2007, 08:09 PM
UGHHH Its about TIME my post caught some real attention!!! My point has offically been made:thumbs up

I have sent this link with my reply to every news casting thing i could google and get my dirty little hands on... hopefully SOMETHING will be said about this and how the "so-called" evil breed can be seen for what it really is.... and that by banning a breed of dog... is just the mere beginning... whats next... the bigger dogs will come to follow... and soon nothing will be left but the small "harmless" dogs.... but as soon as they turn or attack someone.. oh heaven forbid.... "we'll just kill them off too"
pff.. complete mess is what this is....
i'm just happy to spread the word about how good pittys are... my 110lb Blue Bully is the most innocent sweet thing alive... but i'll tell ya, theres not one person i know that isnt **** terrified of that dog... but i think its the little snappy ones ppl should be looking at.....

JennieV
March 22nd, 2007, 10:57 PM
I was appaled by the story, and it quickly reminded me about something I witnessed first-hand and was unable to stop.
I was about 15, was riding my bike on my way home, and I lived in a small village of about 150 families and everyone knew everyone, and all the dogs were known to each other...
So here I was riding my bike, and I saw 2 dogs (a Rottie mix and a GSD mix) that were normally VERY friendly, they were jumping and pulling something and growling etc.. I thought it was a rug or something, but as I got closer I realized it was a cat...:eek: :eek: I yelled at them and tried to put my bike in between and try to stop them, but at that point the Rottie turned and growled at me with his mouth full of blood. So I got REALLY scared, it was mid-day, they owners were probably at work, and I just slowly backed off...As the Rottie was turning to growl at me, he lost track of the cat and the poor animal was able to get away and crowl into the bushes right nearby, but I really dont think that it made it out alive.
From that day on, slowly everybody started noticing that the dogs kinda went cuckoooo, and were uncontrolable, and needed to be tied down, at the result of which they completely turned crazy. Both of them. The GSD was the sweetest little female ever, and the Rottie was rescued as a pup, and the entire village literally was "babying" him.
Eventually, they were both put down.:mad:
I dont know what made them turn, I have no clue:confused: , but all I can think of is that bloodied face, with fangs, staring at me and growling...That was by far one of the scariest moments of my life.:eek:
Dogs need discipline and control, especially the larger breeds that CAN physically cause more damage than smaller ones, and unfortunately, not all pet owners have the adequate responsibility of having a dog. :sad:
Hopefully, with right education this can be changed!:pray:

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
March 23rd, 2007, 05:43 PM
RIP, Dayton! :( What a needless death.

Boo Boo
March 23rd, 2007, 06:57 PM
JinnO

I'm reading this post and it responses for the first time. I understand the point you are trying to get across. It is a tradegy that there is no sensitivity to how that dog was killed simply based on the type of breed. If the situation was reverse and a german shepard was mauled by pit bull ,you bet it would make headlines.

I have several friends with pit bulls, with the proper care and handling can be wonderful and loving pets. I know there is a fear and even a hatred toward pitbulls. Alot of those expamples were a result of improper handling and care on the owner part.

It is because of that fear and hatred, that owner felt compelled to tie the dog up on HIS OWN property. and I'm assuming the owner had no fence.

Here in the US, some states made it illegal to own a pit bull. What is an owner to do??? Sell your home, relocate your family or kill your family pet.

I understand your frustration and share in the disgust!!!