Scott_B
March 21st, 2007, 08:09 PM
Love it :D

Mocha's mum
March 21st, 2007, 08:21 PM
:laughing: That's fantastic!!

Smiley14
March 21st, 2007, 08:21 PM
This reminds me of a question I've been wondering about, but have been too embarrassed to ask. LOL! So I apologize ahead of time if this is just a stupid myth started by ignorant people. :o But do raw fed dogs tend to be more likely to go after wildlife, ie, ducks or whatnot? Like do they develop a taste for it? There are tons of ducks in the pond at the dog park, but are usually smack dab in the center where the dogs don't reach them. Petey is one of the few dogs who loves water enough to actually swim out that far... But despite his breed, he doesn't ever go after them. (I swear, he really IS a pointer! LOL!). But I'm glad he leaves them alone. I would feel awful if he suddenly starting going after the ducks. Plus I think the other members would ban me. We like the ducks there. :o

Oh, aweseome pics by the way!!! I feel bad for the duck though. :o

erykah1310
March 21st, 2007, 08:25 PM
No raw fed dogs dont go seeking to kill new meals.
meik killed a few chickens in his time, and he's not a raw fed member here.
Kita who only eats raw 97% of the time, hasnt attempted to hunt for herself at all.

Id vote, just a myth.

Great pics TD, Shes telling you something...:D

Smiley14
March 21st, 2007, 08:30 PM
No raw fed dogs dont go seeking to kill new meals.
meik killed a few chickens in his time, and he's not a raw fed member here.
Kita who only eats raw 97% of the time, hasnt attempted to hunt for herself at all.

Id vote, just a myth.

Great pics TD, Shes telling you something...:D

That's what I thought, but just had to ask. :o Thanks!

mummummum
March 21st, 2007, 08:31 PM
Not in my experience Smiley. If that were the case, given Bridie's running speed there would be NO squirrels or pigeons in Toronto. ;)

heidiho
March 21st, 2007, 08:33 PM
Can dogs get ill doing that??Meaning the bird being in the mouth like that??

technodoll
March 21st, 2007, 08:47 PM
heidi yes, they can get sick if they put *anything* in their mouths which is contaminated... garbage, poop, dead animals, etc... :yuck: I'll have to keep a close eye on my girl for the next few days, just in case. I have no idea if that pigeon was "clean" or not :eek: :mad:

erykah1310
March 21st, 2007, 08:50 PM
Can dogs get ill doing that??Meaning the bird being in the mouth like that??

Bird dogs put dead birds in their mouths on a regular basis. :shrug:

gomez
March 21st, 2007, 08:59 PM
I'm thinking she fancies herself a gun dog in the moors of Yorkshire....

Great catch!

Prin
March 21st, 2007, 10:13 PM
:sick: Uhh... Maika.. tsk. Well, I guess on the up side, she didn't roll in it.:D

I like the first one though. Just trotting along with my bro... :D

angeldogs
March 22nd, 2007, 05:00 AM
Ha ha i love it.now if you could get her to catch her on food it would safe $$.:D for cookies.

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 06:33 AM
well she *totally* confirmed my suspicions that she would not starve if she got lost in a forest, LOL! :D i fasted her last night juuuust to be sure but she's totally fine and happy this morning. she'll get some nice fresh chicken for her effort :p

cpietra16
March 22nd, 2007, 06:54 AM
Please tell me that bird was already dead when it was found:yuck:

chico2
March 22nd, 2007, 07:13 AM
I am sorry,but I cannot find anything amusing in this picture:sad:
"Fasting"a dog to see if it will go out and kill,seems a little extreem and cruel..
I have 3 cats,who would love to kill birds every day,but I make sure they do not,otherwise my birdfeeders would be deathtraps!
I have a pic of Rocky and a Dove,but it was found frozen under my deck...
TD,your dogs are beautiful,making them in to killers is not:sad:

Scott_B
March 22nd, 2007, 07:19 AM
I am sorry,but I cannot find anything amusing in this picture:sad:
"Fasting"a dog to see if it will go out and kill,seems a little extreem and cruel..
I have 3 cats,who would love to kill birds every day,but I make sure they do not,otherwise my birdfeeders would be deathtraps!
I have a pic of Rocky and a Dove,but it was found frozen under my deck...
TD,your dogs are beautiful,making them in to killers is not:sad:

I think your not understanding the whole fast thing...she fasted her in case the bird made her stomach upset. Feeding her food might make her worse. So you fast to keep the stomach calm.

Not sure where your getting the fast so she kills thing? :confused:

chico2
March 22nd, 2007, 07:25 AM
I am not starting a debate about this,maybe I missunderstood the fasting part,still cannot find anything,fantastic,funny or great about the pic.
Especially not for the Pigeon!

Scott_B
March 22nd, 2007, 07:31 AM
Whos debating? You accused her of fasting her dogs and making them into killers. I set you straight. Simple.

PS, if your cats are outdoor cats, you can bet they kill things, bugs, mice, birds, etc. Its what they do. hey hunt. Even ifyou don't se it.

chico2
March 22nd, 2007, 07:44 AM
My cats are never out on their own,but yes,I am very well aware that cats and dogs will kill birds,squirrels etc...if they get the opportunity.
I just don't think it's"fantastic"only sad!

Scott_B
March 22nd, 2007, 07:51 AM
I don't think its sad. Its natural. Chances are the bird was already dead. Of course no one wants to see animals being killed, but i'm not going to loose sleep over it. It happens.

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 08:45 AM
Just to set the record straight... I would never let my dogs kill anything if I could help it :eek: Yes it is their genetic instinct and it's part of nature, after all they are animals and cannot reason "right" vs "wrong" - they just do what they are programmed to do. even birds hunt and kill prey!

Maika just came up over the hill with that creature in her mouth, I assume it was already dead OR just barely alive when she grabbed it... birds normally don't let dogs get close enough to hurt them. Thankfully she dropped it when I told her to and then ignored it after that. And yes as a precaution I then fasted her, just in case she would have ingested some nasty bacteria or something - I'd rather her vomit on an empty stomach than on a full one! But she's completely fine this morning, thank god.

She didn't want to eat the bird, she just likes to hunt. She chases ladybugs and spiders with the same intensity as she does birds, squirrels and cats. I can't unprogram that from her genes :shrug:

PS: i posted this kinda as a "tongue in cheek" response to the Petfood Recall issues... hoping it would bring smiles rather than frowns. I did not mean to offend anyone.

Furbaby Momma
March 22nd, 2007, 11:07 AM
These pictures are extremely offensive to me being an animal lover.
I fully feel the same as Chico2 does. :sad:

Frenchy
March 22nd, 2007, 11:10 AM
I didn't want to say anything cuz I know TD gets extremely offended and defensive, but I don't think it's funny either. Yes those things can happen, but I wouldn't go that far ; to take a pic and post here, when I know many people loves birds. :shrug:

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 11:17 AM
People... lighten up. Birds die and it's a fact of life. Our cats and dogs are hunters, it's another fact of life. If you don't like the photos - don't look. :shrug:

Scott_B
March 22nd, 2007, 11:19 AM
Holy heck. Do you guys ban the nature channel at home because a lion kills a bufflo? Your a sensitive bunch arent you? lol She came across a dead bird. Big deal. She looks very proud of her find. We came across a dead chicken one day walking in the woods. i had Rosco on leash so he never got to it. But I wouldnt cry about it if he found it first. Animals die. it happens. No body cried to rick when he posted pictures of his pup with a dead animal? I just don't see what the big deal is. :confused:

Frenchy
March 22nd, 2007, 11:22 AM
Oh I'm not crying, just think it's in bad taste to post it here.

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
frenchy, what you think is "in bad taste" is not necessarily everyone else's opinion. I respect that you did not like the photos - as I said in a post below, I did not mean to offend anyone. That being said, we own DOGS who are HUNTERS and this is what they do. if this offends you... don't look. Good grief... there is a limit to "sanitizing" posts! :frustrated:

Frenchy
March 22nd, 2007, 11:35 AM
That being said, we own DOGS who are HUNTERS

Well then how can you own 2 HUNTERS and let them live in the city, in a small appartment ? :confused:

Dog Dancer
March 22nd, 2007, 11:37 AM
I don't find it offensive. This is an animal board and sometimes our furbabies find other dead things and bring them home. Sometimes our furbabies kill things with or without our knowledge. The circle of life. My lab proudly brought home a dead crow one day. It was already dead, but she was very proud of it. She also caught a mole one day - live - and let it go still alive when I told her to. That's nature and this board is about that too. For better or worse. I'm with Scott B - hope you don't watch the nature network. I love birds too, and don't encourage the girls to hunt them, but so is the circle of life. TD, Maika looks very proud of her catch, good girl for dropping it when you told her to. I get the food recall/live food line you were going for.

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 11:37 AM
Well then how can you own 2 HUNTERS and let them live in the city, in a small appartment ?

i do toss them a chicken for dinner once in a while :D

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
Maika looks very proud of her catch, good girl for dropping it when you told her to. I get the food recall/live food line you were going for.

she was proud all right, but in a guilty kind of way. she knows i don't allow her to bring home dead things :o and I'm glad you (and some others ;) ) understood the original intent of this post. :)

Tommysmom
March 22nd, 2007, 11:42 AM
Hehehe... at first I thought this was in the 'raw feeding' thread, lollllllll :laughing: .... ok that's probably not funny since people are already kinda offended :o .

I like the photos though! Reminds me of all our pets when we were young, before all the concrete surrounded us. Our dogs and cats were constantly trying to bring us various mice, moles, birds and bats. They rarely killed them, but looked really puzzled when we didn't appreciate them as much as they did. To me, the photos look just like a nice slice of nature :) .

Scott_B
March 22nd, 2007, 11:43 AM
I don't find it offensive. This is an animal board and sometimes our furbabies find other dead things and bring them home. Sometimes our furbabies kill things with or without our knowledge. The circle of life. My lab proudly brought home a dead crow one day. It was already dead, but she was very proud of it. She also caught a mole one day - live - and let it go still alive when I told her to. That's nature and this board is about that too. For better or worse. I'm with Scott B - hope you don't watch the nature network. I love birds too, and don't encourage the girls to hunt them, but so is the circle of life. TD, Maika looks very proud of her catch, good girl for dropping it when you told her to. I get the food recall/live food line you were going for.

:thumbs up :highfive:

Dog Dancer
March 22nd, 2007, 11:44 AM
TD - you toss them a chicken once in a while - you're too funny! Hope it's dead. Frenchy I don't think TD meant her dogs alone, all dogs by nature are hunters as are all cats and birds and on goes the list. It's part of the food chain that we humans have chosen to break to meet our needs. I guess we must all turn our pets out on the streets then if it's not right to keep them in houses and apartments. I'll miss my girls terribly. :sad: :rolleyes:

This thread is so far gone off base of where TD headed it.

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 11:47 AM
This thread is so far gone off base of where TD headed it.

i know! :eek: :yell:

it would be nice to keep it on topic... just a dog, being a dog... for once not a "lounging on the couch" photo :D

Furbaby Momma
March 22nd, 2007, 11:49 AM
I am not sure why this is tuning to wildlife habits, our pets are domesticated...I would think that we as responsible pet lovers would not encourage this behavior.

Frenchy
March 22nd, 2007, 11:50 AM
i know! :eek: :yell:

... for once not a "lounging on the couch" photo :D

And what's wrong with those pics ? :confused:

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 11:55 AM
frenchy this thread is not about you. it's entirely about maika, and me, and my photos. if you want to keep taking it :offtopic: , please start your own thread, all right? :pawprint:

Dog Dancer
March 22nd, 2007, 11:56 AM
I also love the pictures of our dogs being couch potatoes (oh sorry my girls aren't allowed on the couch - and I'm one of the few on here who don't allow it - used to have their own couch though). But I also love the pictures of our animals just being animals. We domesticated them - and this is our word for it. They don't know that word or that they've been domesticated. They're just doing what comes natural to them. TD didn't post a picture of Maika ripping some animal to shreds here.

I'm out of this one now. Sorry TD I'm :offtopic: too. But off on your side.:D

Scott_B
March 22nd, 2007, 11:57 AM
What? Dont encourage what? The finding of dead animals? Are you serious? :laughing:

chico2
March 22nd, 2007, 12:01 PM
I think we should end this discussion I started right here, some of us care about what happens to ALL animals,including our wild-life.
Domesticated dogs/cats are not wild animals,do not need to hunt to survive.

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 12:04 PM
chico you are right, our animals do not need to hunt to survive. guess this is why Maika dropped the dead bird she found when I asked her to, then just ignored it... guess she finds the food i feed her just fine enough :thumbs up

ps: maybe i should call the city and ask them to pick up all the bird carcasses littering the ground... in case some other dogs or cats might find them and that is sooo bad... LOL! :D

some of us care about what happens to ALL animals,including our wild-life

thanks for the implied compliment chico. ;)

Scott_B
March 22nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
lol whos hunting? She came across a dead bird. And who said anyone didnt care about animals? Animals die all the time in the wild. She just happened to find one. So what? She put it down when she was told. Again, whats the big deal? :confused:

Furbaby Momma
March 22nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
What? Dont encourage what? The finding of dead animals? Are you serious? :laughing:

I believe that is what I said...SERIOUSLY!
I share my life with Retrievers they are instictively bird dogs, they would not kill a bird.
Now if it did happen I would not be proud of it, I would bury it..proud pictures would not be posted.

Thank You,
Your animal loving friend,
Furbaby Momma :pawprint: :love:

meb999
March 22nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
it's not a bird...it's a pigeon :D
*creeps back out slowly to avoid getting hit by any flying objects*
http://bestsmileys.com/peeping/5.gif
sowwy...just tryin' to lighten the mood

Scott_B
March 22nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
You guys are sensitive, wow. :rolleyes:

I suppose none of you eat meat then eh? Or wear anything leather. That all comes from animals ya know :eek:

This is too funny.

Again, who said she killed it...SHE FOUND A DEAD BIRD. :rolleyes:

Hope none of your retrievers ever find a dead animal, or better yet, retrieve one..:eek:

Furbaby Momma
March 22nd, 2007, 12:30 PM
Dearsest ScottB,
I believe you are taking this thread to personal.

Please refrain from personal attacks, to my words....you have a point and I have a point.

Thank You,
Your animal loving friend,
Furbaby Momma :pawprint: :love:

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 12:33 PM
guys! please! i don't want this thread closed :sad:

Prin
March 22nd, 2007, 12:35 PM
How is this about caring about animals or not? It has nothing to do with the well-being of animals. :confused: The bird was dead! Would you be this outraged if she had found a KFC chicken leg and brought it and techno took a pic?

I dunno, I'm an animal lover too, but when an animal is dead, it's dead. :shrug:

People take pics of their dogs with birds in their mouths all the time- it's what bird dogs do! Bird dogs don't kill birds, they just carry them without damaging them, which is what Maika instinctively did.

I think it's about time we stop pretending we aren't living with carnivorous predators here. You can train all you want, but when put in certain situations, dogs will act on instinct. Why should we hide that? That's what a dog IS!

Somebody else posted a pic of a cat with a dead, frozen bird in its mouth and nobody screamed "animal abuse" about that. What's the big deal?

:offtopic: :sorry:

They're great captures. Great photography with ironic content. :shrug:

Scott_B
March 22nd, 2007, 12:35 PM
Where did i personally attack you? When i called you sensitive? Thats right..huge attack. :rolleyes:

And i'm taking it too personally? I'm not the one making a fuss over a silly picture. again...:rolleyes:

trippincherri
March 22nd, 2007, 01:30 PM
Whoa...I just read this entire thread for the first time and must say it escalated very quick.

IMO TD the first thing that popped into my head when I seen your picks was "gross hope she didn't eat it or roll in it." but I was not offended because dogs do that by nature. And I am sure if you seen the pigeon first you would have never let her pack it around.

I grew up with my dad hunting birds and beavers and we had a black lab who retrieved for him. She was an amazing animal who swam out into raging river waters to bring back the carcasses, and it wasn't always something I enjoyed seeing but it was fascinating to watch this dog in HER element.
She was a sporting dog and that instinct was in her to retrieve the goods for her master, same as wild dogs kill for their pups.
Or the way cats bring us mice or birds. No matter how much we may try to take that instinct away they are allowed to slip up and be DOGS once in awhile.
I would never let my dogs harm another animal but we are not always with them 24/7, mine brought me a dead frog from out in our yard last summer and I love frogs and felt bad for the poor little thing, but what was I supposed to do? I picked it up and threw it over the fence so they couldn't eat it thats all I could do, I wasn't in anyway mad or dissapointed in the dogs, they brought their "mom" a snack. :rolleyes:

Anyway I don't want anyone being annoyed with me :D so I will shut up now, and TD I think for having 2 large dogs living in an apartment in the city you do a fabulous job of keeping them healthy,entertained and exercised.
Sorry your thread went all crazy on you!!

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 01:33 PM
thank you trippincherri :grouphug:

Prin
March 22nd, 2007, 01:38 PM
and it wasn't always something I enjoyed seeing but it was fascinating to watch this dog in HER element.That's so true. I love watching my doggies retrieve because it's what they were born to do and they're so proud when they're successful. :confused:

trippincherri
March 22nd, 2007, 01:41 PM
Your welcome TD.

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 01:51 PM
Interesting tidbit, for those who do not know the history of Akitas...

The Akita is native to the island of Honshu in the region of Akita in Japan, where it has remained unchanged for centuries. Today, the Akita is considered the national dog of Japan and is designated as a Natural Monument. The breed has had many uses, first as an Imperial guard dog, then as a fighting dog, hunter of deer and bear, for sledding, and for police, army and guard work. The Akita has keen hunting abilities and can even hunt in deep snow. He has a soft mouth, so he is suitable for waterfowl retrieval. In Japan, small statues of the Akita are often sent to ill people to express a wish for their speedy recovery, and to parents of newborn children to symbolize health. The first Akita was brought to the USA by Helen Keller. American servicemen also brought Akitas to the US after World War II.

:)

Prin
March 22nd, 2007, 01:54 PM
Helen Keller had a lot of "scary" breeds. She had a pittie too.:cloud9:

mummummum
March 22nd, 2007, 02:17 PM
Hmmm..interesting debate. I don't think any of us purposefully, use our dogs in hunting. And I believe all of us are animal lovers who would never cause an animal harm or use our animals in such a way that they cause another animal harm. But many of us have animals with high prey drives. No amount of domestication can remove that instinct from our dogs. We can train them to respond by sitting or heeling rather than giving chase to a running squirrel or a flock of pigeons but, we aren't removing the prey drive, we are only demanding a different behaviour in response to a specific stimuli.

I understand everyone's sensitivity about animals harming or killing other animals but, at some level we have to acknowledge that our animals are just that, animals and hunting is a natural predisposition for many of our cats and dogs.

Yes, the pictures are gruesome at some level but, so is life and so is nature.

Dog Dancer
March 22nd, 2007, 02:42 PM
Hey MumX3, I have yet to master training my retriever not to chase squirrels. Thank goodness for her leash and my strong arm.

mummummum
March 22nd, 2007, 02:47 PM
You are soooooooo right Dog Dancer. Bridie runs h*ll-bent-for-leather at the sight of any critter if she's off-leash but she has a particular affinity for squirrels. And we've had our share of close calls. :shrug:

Prin
March 22nd, 2007, 02:49 PM
Boo's got it in for rabbits...:o He almost ate my friend's mom's rabbit... He broke into the garage and was banging his head on the cage to get at it..:o Whenever he sees a rabbit, he licks his chops... I think he had rabbit when he was a stray.:o

Jemma's a hunter too, but worse than that- she's a roller. :sick:

Dog Dancer
March 22nd, 2007, 02:50 PM
I'd love to get my neighbour to stop feeding the furry rats. Halo knows his tree's are full of squirrels and walking by can be a challenge. My right arm is strongest and longest now.:laughing: I actually had to go back to using her halti because my wrist was sore from her lunging. She's much better about it with the halti on.

meb999
March 22nd, 2007, 02:51 PM
Buster Does the same (licks his chops when he sees a rabbit) and there only about a zillion rabbits in the neighborhood...he's gotten good at leave it (he doesn't pull me off my feet like when we first got him), but he has a obsession with rabbits...

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 02:53 PM
i see alot of rabbit tracks and rabbit poops (aka "maika's favorite snackies" :yuck: ) around but i've only seen one lone rabbit here in the city, so far... and that is a GOOD thing :o

Prin
March 22nd, 2007, 03:00 PM
Oh, yeah, glosset rabbits are my babies' faves! mmm mmm goood!

meb999
March 22nd, 2007, 03:00 PM
yeah, that is a good thing...can you imagine the flaming you'd get if your beanies caught a rabbit?? :eek: http://bestsmileys.com/argue/1.gif

Spirit
March 22nd, 2007, 03:01 PM
*slowly backs out of thread*....

Prin
March 22nd, 2007, 03:02 PM
I have to admit though, one day at the dog park, a GSP caught a pidgeon and I wasn't happy... Finding an already dead one is one thing, but a fresh kill? :sad:

mummummum
March 22nd, 2007, 03:06 PM
With the coyote population down, the ravine os overrun with rabbits. The girls and Dec sort of eer-heer-orrrr-heer and leap a little but they also look at me as if to check "Is that real ? Should I be chasing that ?"

Glossets... that's funny. Disgusting, but funny.

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 03:12 PM
Last December, the kids found a live, injured bird at the base of a tree not far from the house. It's in the back of a church, a little yard I let them run loose in when it's quiet at night. They went sniffing at something on the ground so I went to check and this small brown bird was just sitting there, hyperventilating and bleeding from its mouth :sad: i didn't know what to to, i picked it up and shoed the dogs away (they were so curious), i tried to warm it up but it had those glazed eyes... i nestled him in one of the trees there and hoped he would pass away peacefully. The next day he was on the ground, not far from where I had left him. poor thing, i was sooo sad... hubby said i was being silly. :sad:

Prin
March 22nd, 2007, 03:15 PM
:grouphug: Birds are so fragile... When I used to watch Animal ER, they said it's rare that an injured bird survives because they are so prone to infections. :sad:

chico2
March 22nd, 2007, 04:08 PM
TD,this will be my last comment on this thread,NOWHERE in your post did you mention the Pigeon was found dead.
The title of your thread says "Maika only wants fresh food"a dead pigeon is hardly fresh..so I assumed she killed it,which is probably what happened.
Not Maikas fault,but gloryfying it in a picture....
Whoever said a Pigeon is not a bird,has no idea what they are talking about,I have a bunch of Pigeons coming to my feeders and they are actually amazing birds all kinds of different beautiful colours,but it takes a bird-lover to see it,which I am.
I witnessed a Hawk take one last summer,that is nature,although I hated to see it, it's what Hawks do to survive.
My cats love to stalk squirrels,birds etc...but if they get too close I shoo the birds away,I don't even let them torture a little mouse,because that's what cats do,cats who are not starving.

technodoll
March 22nd, 2007, 04:10 PM
The title of your thread says "Maika only wants fresh food"a dead pigeon is hardly fresh..so I assumed she killed it,which is probably what happened.

well... we all know where "assumptions" get us ;)

Blathach
March 22nd, 2007, 04:36 PM
Since this thread cannot stay on topic and civil, it will now be closed.